Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Weather Jacket and Pants

Options
  • 29-08-2018 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

I have recently converted from running (dodgy knee) to cycling regularly for exercise. Last night was the first time I went out and got soaked from the 1.5 hours I was out and it wasn't pleasant. If I'm to keep cycling over the winter I figure I need proper kit. I'm looking for recommendations for jacket, trousers and shoe covers. I have searched but a lot of the posts are over a couple years old. My budget is 100 - 200 euro and I cycle no more than 50k at a time, twice a week. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Do you have clipless SPD/SPD-SL pedals? Or do you just wear running shoes? This will change your options for shoe covers at least.

As for jackets, there's plenty of options out there. Prices go from 40 up to crazy amounts. DHB and Altura are good lower priced brands. It depends on the style you want, some are more tightly/aero fitting and others less so. I'd recommend trying some on for size if you can. There are also packable rain jackets that might suit. Something like:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/castelli-squadra-er-jacket-aw17/rp-prod160648

As for trousers... I honestly wouldn't bother. I always find the shorts are quick to dry. If you have trousers on you're going to end up drenched in sweat anyway, so at least without you'll be at an okay temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..As for trousers... I honestly wouldn't bother....
    +1

It's much easier just to accept that you're going to get wet and focus on being warm rather than dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Thanks for the advice so far. I wear clipped in SDS shoes. So for the legs, do you look for insulated leggings and don't worry about waterproofing?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

rustynutz wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice so far. I wear clipped in SDS shoes. So for the legs, do you look for insulated leggings and don't worry about waterproofing?
    Unless it the depths of winter wear shorts - your skin will not hold moisture. I'm not familiar with 'insulated' leggings - I just use leg warmers on cold days. They don't hold moisture. Avoid cotton socks - cotton gets cold when wet. Use wool socks instead.

If your rides are relatively short, as suggested in you opening post, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's a different story if heading in the rain for most of the day.

Advertisement