Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor & remote 24/7 camera advice

• 29-08-2018 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi

I have to do a project which requires me to record an area preferably 24/7 and save the footage.

The camera will be remote so I’m looking for suggestions on the best type of camera to use and also best options to keep it powered.

I need to show footage of an area being used (or not) and present this.

Any advice would be appreciated on your experiences.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you need video or would stills at 1/sec - 1/30sec do?

If stills would manage a GoPro with a large battery bank (real 10k mAh) should manage that with a 64GB card. Sped up it'd look like a timelapse video. Would have to calculate the file sizes to be sure but pretty sure it'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭crookesa

ED E wrote: »
    Do you need video or would stills at 1/sec - 1/30sec do?

If stills would manage a GoPro with a large battery bank (real 10k mAh) should manage that with a 64GB card. Sped up it'd look like a timelapse video. Would have to calculate the file sizes to be sure but pretty sure it'd do.

Thanks for that. I want to record a site we own and prove that there’s no one using it as a right of way. I may have to record the site from across the road so mount it somewhere looking directly at it.
    How long would I get from a 10k mAh bank?

I was hoping to maybe get 3 months footage from it. I was looking st a company online and they charge €300 per month for the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you took a picture every 5s its 5.6GB day. That means coming back every 19 days or 5 visits in 3 months.

Power wise for three months you'd be building a large 12v battery pack, solar charger and 12v to 5v transformer into a weatherproof box assuming no mains on site.

A wildlife camera would be cheaper/easier but would only show use not the lack thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bipedal

I'll just chime in and say that I used 5 last-gen GoPros for a similar project at a construction site. They had a circuit for power that they were all plugged into, and over the course of the 5 months I think I had maybe one camera that had gone continuously the whole time, the others all suffered overheats and stuff. If you absolutely must use a GoPro, I think you would be smart to get one of the intervalometer backs that actually turns the camera off between shots and lets you set sane intervals (longer than the in-camera max of 1 minute). https://cam-do.com/collections/all/products/blink-gopro-time-lapse-controller

Otherwise maybe someone has experience with trail cams or a raspi or something.

Advertisement