Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice please with landlord

Options
  • 29-08-2018 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all, myself and husband have been renting the same property for nearly 9 years now, have a great relationship with the landlord, he always is very fair and helpful, and we have equally looked after his property greatly, upgrading to our own expense etc. we recently got approved for Housing Assistant Payment, so now Council will pay his rent and we will pay council. He is happy with this, and its a huge benefit to us.
    the thing is we always paid a month in advance, and council pays a month in arrears. so we have paid august already, and now in september, landlord will receive rent from council for september and back dated the majority of august as well. Now I believe the landlord is put out as he will need to advance a month for mortgage purposes, but Im having an issue looking for a refund - the council told us its a matter between us and the landlord, but im not sure what way to go around asking for it, or if we should wait til we are leaving the property and sort out any refunds then? We already paid a deposit anyway 9 years ago when we first moved in?
    thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

So you've paid your contractual payment for August and September will be due soon? Landlord will get paid September rent at end September but will also get a payment for a few weeks in August?

Just flag with him and potentially pay him the September payment and he could refund you the extra portion he will get for August. You'd need to get a refund of this September's payment that you make at the end of your tenancy then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Most landlords expect the tenant to make up teh lost month - you continue to ensure landlord is paid month in advance and he takes teh payment for September as payment for October etc. then it gets sorted out along with deposit at the end of the tenancy.

Of course he could agree to accept being paid in arrears, but most landlrods won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 janandbren

appreciate the replies, just wantd to hear opinions and advice, glad I asked now, as what your saying makes sense, I will be happy with that as well!
    thanks again!

Advertisement