Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics and Finance

Options
  • 29-08-2018 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

So basically I got offered Economics and Finance in UCD, I always wanted it from the beginning, but like they say patiences fruit is sweet, in my first LC I did not get it, ended up repeating, second time, was a few points short for E&F in UCD, so I got into Finance in UCC. I completed my first year. in UCC, but 3rd time lucky I guess, behold I got an offer for second round to E&F in UCD, I am aware I will have to pay fees again for first year as I wont be eligible for the grand, but the question is, would I be stupid to start first year over again ? I know its a 3 year course, I was at a 4 yr course in UCC, but thats including internship. If I do not do an internship in this course, will it affect future employability much? I have looked into transitioning to 2nd year, I will talk to the guidance counsellor if there is an option for that.

Also I want to go UCD for a couple of reasons, Dublin the city, makes it much easier for my family, UCD the college, also the course itself has a much prestigious employability and career options to my Finance course in UCC. Would love to hear your opinions if you can share any insight ? Am I stupid in repeating a year ? I know its time to progress so I will have no option to not take the internship, as that will be 3 years wasted of my studies with doing the lc again, doing my year in finance again and then the internship.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

So basically I got offered Economics and Finance in UCD, I always wanted it from the beginning, but like they say patiences fruit is sweet, in my first LC I did not get it, ended up repeating, second time, was a few points short for E&F in UCD, so I got into Finance in UCC. I completed my first year. in UCC, but 3rd time lucky I guess, behold I got an offer for second round to E&F in UCD, I am aware I will have to pay fees again for first year as I wont be eligible for the grand, but the question is, would I be stupid to start first year over again ? I know its a 3 year course, I was at a 4 yr course in UCC, but thats including internship. If I do not do an internship in this course, will it affect future employability much? I have looked into transitioning to 2nd year, I will talk to the guidance counsellor if there is an option for that.

Also I want to go UCD for a couple of reasons, Dublin the city, makes it much easier for my family, UCD the college, also the course itself has a much prestigious employability and career options to my Finance course in UCC. Would love to hear your opinions if you can share any insight ? Am I stupid in repeating a year ? I know its time to progress so I will have no option to not take the internship, as that will be 3 years wasted of my studies with doing the lc again, doing my year in finance again and then the internship.
    Thank you

I'd say if you're perfectly happy with UCC stick with it.

Otherwise take the plunge. You could get recognition of prior learning and jump into stage 2, but I'd be finding that out right now if I were you. You've put this much effort into getting this course that you should go for it unless there's good reasons not to.

I'm not sure what situation is in relation to going from a 4 year to 3 year course in relation to free fees. It's possible that, because they allocated 4 years for you that there will be no penalty for you at all, but I am not at all sure about this.

This late in the day getting accommodation could be tricky, particularly on campus.

Advertisement