Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented property in Receivership

Options
  • 29-08-2018 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has experience in renting (and subsesquently leaving) a rental property that has gone into receivership?

3 friends of mine were living in a rental property for 4 years and moved out last week. It was their choice to move out and gave 6 weeks notice advising they would not be renewing their lease. They phoned the agency 2 days before they were to move out of the property to check re deposit return and keys return. At this point they were told by the agency that the property was in receivership and to just drop the keys into the agency and their deposit would be returned. The agency then asked for bank details and said they would transfer the deposit to them in a day or 2. The deposit never arrived and my friend phoned the agency yesterday who advised they have nothing to do with the property anymore and that the receiver should return their deposit to them.

My friend was speaking to the tenancy board who said it is best to lodge a dispute but my question is do an agency not normally keep a deposit? There have been numerous problems with this agency/landlord over the 4 years with them mainly refusing to fix broken items around the house and my friends do not trust them when they say they do not have the deposit and to contact the receiver (yet won't provide the receiver details or return calls) Is it likely my friends will get their deposit back? The house was left in perfect condition with no damage and professionally cleaned.

Any experience anyone has had in similar situations?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Conrad83 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has experience in renting (and subsesquently leaving) a rental property that has gone into receivership?

3 friends of mine were living in a rental property for 4 years and moved out last week. It was their choice to move out and gave 6 weeks notice advising they would not be renewing their lease. They phoned the agency 2 days before they were to move out of the property to check re deposit return and keys return. At this point they were told by the agency that the property was in receivership and to just drop the keys into the agency and their deposit would be returned. The agency then asked for bank details and said they would transfer the deposit to them in a day or 2. The deposit never arrived and my friend phoned the agency yesterday who advised they have nothing to do with the property anymore and that the receiver should return their deposit to them.

My friend was speaking to the tenancy board who said it is best to lodge a dispute but my question is do an agency not normally keep a deposit? There have been numerous problems with this agency/landlord over the 4 years with them mainly refusing to fix broken items around the house and my friends do not trust them when they say they do not have the deposit and to contact the receiver (yet won't provide the receiver details or return calls) Is it likely my friends will get their deposit back? The house was left in perfect condition with no damage and professionally cleaned.

Any experience anyone has had in similar situations?

Thanks,

I have been through this. A dispute will have to be opened with the RTB. If there is a receiver the bank will have to refund the deposit. Agencies never keep the deposit. They take their fees from it and pass on the balance if any to the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Conrad83

I have been through this. A dispute will have to be opened with the RTB. If there is a receiver the bank will have to refund the deposit. Agencies never keep the deposit. They take their fees from it and pass on the balance if any to the landlord.

Thanks, so the deposit will be returned it's just a matter of when? I would think something like that could take months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Conrad83 wrote: »
    Thanks, so the deposit will be returned it's just a matter of when? I would think something like that could take months :(

Often does take months. Sometimes the threat of the RTB gets it back. A letter to the PSRA might do no harm.

Advertisement