Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to Upgrade First?

Options
  • 29-08-2018 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭

So I bought a bike for commuting about a year ago and it's perfectly fine for that. However I have started taking the bike out for longer spins at the weekend and want to start adding a few upgrades as most of the components are entry level.

What would people recommend as the first areas to look at upgrading?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it depends is the unfortunate answer. stick up a spec maybe?
    wheels are often a place to start.
    also, is most of your cycling flat or hilly? do you find yourself running out of gears?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

This question can actually be answered best by suggesting a new bike! ;)

Seriously... it’s the best upgrade if your current bike is entry level. Keep your existing bike for commuting/Winter spins and get a new bike for longer spins in the summer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

true, but you'd often see things like decent wheelsets, better than stock ones that would be on the bike, being sold on here for €100 or €200.
    whether the CTW scheme is open to Felexicon would make a difference too, were (s)he to go down the new bike route.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

I'd tend to agree with the "new bike" idea (says guy with 4 road bikes and a mtb).

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Surely it depends on what your starting point is - what bike have you and what are the 'entry level' components (wheels, tyres, groupset) - maybe they are fine for longer spins.
    And, are you looking for speed and/or comfort out the upgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

true, but you'd often see things like decent wheelsets, better than stock ones that would be on the bike, being sold on here for €100 or €200.
    whether the CTW scheme is open to Felexicon would make a difference too, were (s)he to go down the new bike route.

In that case the next best option is wheels. What wheels to get depends on what use they will be put to. e.g light wheels for climbing, Aero wheels for speed or intermediate wheels (Not too light and not very deep section)if in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,396 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I'll get back with specs ext. But a 6 month old in the house is putting the new bike option on hold for the moment.

I use the BTW for the bike last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Depends on goals. For me, frame is what all components bolt on to, tie and work together. It starts here. Great parts on so so frame will not make much of a difference, but frame that fits your goals will. It may mean a new bike indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Felexicon wrote: »
    I'll get back with specs ext. But a 6 month old in the house is putting the new bike option on hold for the moment.

I use the BTW for the bike last year.

that 6 month old will soon be 12 months, then 18 months, then 3, then starting school then college and then paying for a wedding. Don't ever let it stop you from buying a new bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Knowing what make/model of bike it is would be a good start to give you pointers.

Where do you find it lacking that you think it needs to be upgraded?

It's a slippery slope upgrading bikes and as 07Lapierre suggests a new bike is by far the easiest option. A carbon frame will feel a lot better than new wheels. If you do want to upgrade the wheels Zondas are the go to with regards bang for buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Bike fit, upgrade yourself

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If you are not strugglign with the entry level stuff, then nothing. The wheels will most likely be the best to upgrade as if they are really entry level, they won't last for too much longer unless your lucky.

Advertisement