Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building granny flat in garden?

• 29-08-2018 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Recently purchased my parents house, they were hoping to build a granny flat in garden. It is a semi detached so they would have access by side passage. There is enough space for 38sqm building. We were advised not to connect it to house as that would be ‘bad planning’. If we put in as ancillary could we then have it as bedroom / separate accommodation for them at later stage? Would we need to reapply for planning to change purpose? If we apply for planning for granny flat and Dublin planning refuse is there any possibility that an bord pleanala would grant it?? Is it a big risk.

I’m surprised that building them s granny flat is not accepted as with the current state of the market there are limited options for them to buy.

Any advice appreciated. Also can we access a planning consultant privately?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Who advised it was ‘bad planning’?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jenbel

BryanF wrote: »
    Who advised it was ‘bad planning’?

Architect

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jenbel

Jenbel wrote: »
    Architect

Also pre planning feedback said that connection may not be accepted

Well if a connected granny flat will lot be accepted, I fail to see how a garden ‘house’ will be an easier.

It sounds strange that a granny flat would be refused, what else did they say? Is there already a large extension for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Well if a connected granny flat will lot be accepted, I fail to see how a garden ‘house’ will be an easier.

It sounds strange that a granny flat would be refused, what else did they say? Is there already a large extension for example?

+ 1
    especially since, IIRC, Dublin planning don't like the separate entrance for the GF

KC is the man here :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

In almost all cases I have seen the planners have demanded that the granny flat is connected - indeed that was my understanding of what a "granny flat" is!

What you describe is a standalone dwelling in the back garden - v. hard to get permission for that - in my experience.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Recently purchased my parents house, they were hoping to build a granny flat in garden. It is a semi detached so they would have access by side passage. There is enough space for 38sqm building. We were advised not to connect it to house as that would be ‘bad planning’. If we put in as ancillary could we then have it as bedroom / separate accommodation for them at later stage? Would we need to reapply for planning to change purpose? If we apply for planning for granny flat and Dublin planning refuse is there any possibility that an bord pleanala would grant it?? Is it a big risk.

I’m surprised that building them s granny flat is not accepted as with the current state of the market there are limited options for them to buy.

Any advice appreciated. Also can we access a planning consultant privately?
    Architect
    Also pre planning feedback said that connection may not be accepted

Sack your architect now.
    You will not get planning for a granny flat that is not connected to the house.
    Anything else is a glorified shed and your parents risk planning enforcement action (well you as the home owner do) but your parents will have vacate this shed if this happens.

Where are you based?
    Has anyone else locally done something similar?

Any pre planning that would have taking place would have insisted on a connection so somebody os telling lies here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I know that this is a kinda old thread, but I just got a quote from a builder for a granny flat as well as extending our present house extension to 40 sqm.

The flat would be at the end of the garden totally separate to the house, the builders logic is that the flat is connected to the houses electric, gas and sewers, therefore it's connected. From what I've read over the last few days this would actually be a SHED, and would require planning permission which is next to impossible to obtain in Dublin city north side.

I'm kinda getting fed up dealing with builders :(

smurfjed wrote: »
    I know that this is a kinda old thread, but I just got a quote from a builder for a granny flat as well as extending our present house extension to 40 sqm.

The flat would be at the end of the garden totally separate to the house, the builders logic is that the flat is connected to the houses electric, gas and sewers, therefore it's connected. From what I've read over the last few days this would actually be a SHED, and would require planning permission which is next to impossible to obtain in Dublin city north side.

I'm kinda getting fed up dealing with builders :(

Your builder is quoting you for a garden shed. Not a granny flat.
    A granny flat needs to be connected to the main dwelling and in most cases requires planning permission.

You really need professional advice from somebody with your interests in mind and not the builders profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

I am aware that Cork County Council are routinely granting permission for granny flats which are not connected to the main house. They will impose restrictions on floor area and usually only allow one bedroom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭rayjdav

I got permission for a stand alone "Granny Flat" in Crumlin a few years back. Planner said against the norm but it was an exceptional case. Even min back yard was overlooked. Very ill individual and existing house did not lend to modification.

Unless you have exceptional circumstance, you wont get stand alone permission. Your builder is talking out his ..............

I am aware that Cork County Council are routinely granting permission for granny flats which are not connected to the main house. They will impose restrictions on floor area and usually only allow one bedroom

If that’s the case, can you link us to a few on Corks public Planning Website please as it may set a precedent for the rest of the country.
    rayjdav wrote: »
    I got permission for a stand alone "Granny Flat" in Crumlin a few years back. Planner said against the norm but it was an exceptional case. Even min back yard was overlooked. Very ill individual and existing house did not lend to modification.

Unless you have exceptional circumstance, you wont get stand alone permission. Your builder is talking out his ..............

Very rare Ray. From my daily dealings with them, it’s a flat refusal nowadays.
    Was there a time limit on the use?

Prove it

Feel free to PM me.

I deal with cork coco and this would be a new one on me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Cork Co Co planning ref 18/00695

Here's a 2 bed standalone ancillary dwelling / granny flat recently granted. They propose to move out of their principal dwelling (which they've only been using as a holiday home up until the application) and construct a 2 bed standalone while their original holiday home is used for when relatives visit? The granny flat will replace an existing garage already on the site which is to be demolished.

I'm getting nowhere here in Wexford trying to get permission to construct a 1 bed detached granny flat for my elderly mother and Cork are granting this?

Any thoughts?

D.

Decoda wrote: »
    Cork Co Co planning ref 18/00695

Here's a 2 bed standalone ancillary dwelling / granny flat recently granted. They propose to move out of their principal dwelling (which they've only been using as a holiday home up until the application) and construct a 2 bed standalone while their original holiday home is used for when relatives visit? The granny flat will replace an existing garage already on the site which is to be demolished.

I'm getting nowhere here in Wexford trying to get permission to construct a 1 bed detached granny flat for my elderly mother and Cork are granting this?

Any thoughts?

D.

Thanks for that.
    It appears that CCC allow Granny Flats to be detached as long as there’s a requirement for an elderly relative or disabled relative.

The details are in their development plan section 5.7.12 and 5.7.13
    This is the only Local Authority that I am aware of that allow this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

kceire wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    It appears that CCC allow Granny Flats to be detached as long as there’s a requirement for an elderly relative or disabled relative.

The details are in their development plan section 5.7.12 and 5.7.13
    This is the only Local Authority that I am aware of that allow this.

From what I recall of the "log cabin" discussions, DCC does as a matter of policy allow this on a case by case basis if an attached extension is not possible.

(searches....)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108735157&postcount=6

Sorry for linking to my own post, and that my evidence is from listening to a podcast, but I don't have a better source!

Lumen wrote: »
    From what I recall of the "log cabin" discussions, DCC does as a matter of policy allow this on a case by case basis if an attached extension is not possible.

(searches....)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108735157&postcount=6

Sorry for linking to my own post, and that my evidence is from listening to a podcast, but I don't have a better source!

Cheers.
    I personally have no evidence of that being allowed within DCC. I’ve searched and searched and asked planners and none of them have granted it without the connection.

I’d love to find a sample as it could have implications for future applications alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭rayjdav

kceire wrote: »
    Very rare Ray. From my daily dealings with them, it’s a flat refusal nowadays. Was there a time limit on the use?

Not from memory. In this instance I remember I had reports from the HSE/OT/GP/Disability Officer to aid the case and the planner was on board too from early doors. Luckily there was no time limit as, afaik, the man is still alive, totally dependent, but alive:) Also if I remember there was no condition that the unit had to be reintegrated after the inevitable happened....

Prove it

Feel free to PM me.

I deal with cork coco and this would be a new one on me

Reference 16/93. Someone else posted another example. I am also aware of others. Just because you aren’t aware of it, doesn't mean it’s not happening. No need for the bluntness, a little courtesy goes along way.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Reference 16/93. Someone else posted another example. I am also aware of others. Just because you aren’t aware of it, doesn't mean it’s not happening. No need for the bluntness, a little courtesy goes along way.

bluntness does not equal discourtesy

dont be so delicate

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    bluntness does not equal discourtesy

dont be so delicate

I’m far from delicate. There’s absolutely no need for rudeness here if you are asking someone to provide information. The response from kceire above him is the way you’d expect to be asked, particularly by a moderator.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I’m far from delicate. There’s absolutely no need for rudeness here if you are asking someone to provide information. The response from kceire above him is the way you’d expect to be asked, particularly by a moderator.

Theres no rudeness in Bryan's post.
    That's something you've inferred yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

My uncle is trying to get a granny flat built on my mothers back garden as a standalone dwelling. He came into my mam's house today to talk it over with her about the plans. Our local authority is Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council. Are they generally good in allowing permission to have granny flats built on people's property?

My uncle is trying to get a granny flat built on my mothers back garden as a standalone dwelling. He came into my mam's house today to talk it over with her about the plans. Our local authority is Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council. Are they generally good in allowing permission to have granny flats built on people's property?

You want to build a Granny Flat.
    You want to build a Stand alone dwelling

Which one is it?

Granny flat is an extension with links to the main dwelling. Planning should be granted.

Stand alone unit requires full requirements for new dwellings.

Advertisement