Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runners to get faster

Options
  • 29-08-2018 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

I started running a few months ago and am just wondering is there runners that can help you run faster?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

You could try these.

hqdefault.jpg

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Brian2011 wrote: »
    I started running a few months ago and am just wondering is there runners that can help you run faster?

Honestly there's no quick fixes to running faster except consistent sensible training with a couple of short term goals but always keeping in mind the the long term goal.

When you run a marathon in 3:00:xx and you want to run 2:59:xx the next time then there a lots of things you can consider to help shave off those seconds (including faster racing shoes) but in the meantime there's really no replacement for honest hard work.

You'll get lots of training advice in these parts if you stick around.

Best of luck with your running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Not faster anyway but get a gait analysis done in a running shop to ensure that you are getting the right support and to help with training and hopefully prevent injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Not really, despite what the marketing departments of shoe companies want you to believe. At elite level where there are serious diminishing returns then maybe ot matters. Lighter shoes (i.e. racers) will naturally speed you up a little bit as your feet are literally lighter, but this makes probably only a marginal difference for us mere mortal runners. What will make you faster is to run more, and train well (i.e. follow a structured training plan... or at least do something semi-structured).

imo if you're coming from heavy shoes, lighter and more responsive shoes will definitely make you faster. e.g. going from 11/12 ounce runners to 7 ounce runners. could be as much as 15 seconds a mile imo. but if you're already using light shoes that are fairly responsive you're likely not to notice much of a difference. You also need to factor in that such shoes are going to be harder on your feet/legs and that your running form will suffer as a result. e.g. super-light barely-there shoes that you could use for a 5k are probably not going to work for you for a marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The point of shoes is not really to make you go faster; it's to protect your feet.

Yeah, if you get shoes that protect and support your feet well you can train longer and be at less risk of injury interrupting your training and/or causing you to lose form. And then you'll be able to go faster. But it's not the shoes that are making you go faster; it's the training.

So your question should be "have I got the shoes I need for the running/training that I need/want to do to achieve the speeds I want to achieve?"

Advertisement