Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you agree to this 'voluntary contribution' the schools ask for?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Graces7 wrote: »
    Excuse the expression but all this is an education to me. I was in Mr Price this last week and many kids with parents feverishly working through a long list of stationery requirements.

I have no idea if this still applies, but in the UK we got all our books and stationery provided free.

In my son's school there is a book rental scheme, so once you have paid that, you don't have to buy the books, but you do have to buy stationary.
    It's when things pop up that are needed during the year that teachers tend to supply, because the parents have done their bit at the start of the year, so if there is a need for something around Christmas time, or towards the end of the school year when revisions are approaching, they would be reluctant or might not be able to afford it.

Teachers are constantly being trained in using new methodologies as well, and these are often resource intensive : you might need lollipop sticks, folders, coloured paper, markers, glue, etc... etc... Of course some will be available through the school, but it's often faster and safer to get your own, that way it doesn't get swiped by someone else before the day you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree, these items were not provided for free, you paid for them via taxation, but these were heavily subsidised, but apparently the approach we have now is better for us

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In my son's school there is a book rental scheme, so once you have paid that, you don't have to buy the books, but you do have to buy stationary.
    It's when things pop up that are needed during the year that teachers tend to supply, because the parents have done their bit at the start of the year, so if there is a need for something around Christmas time, or towards the end of the school year when revisions are approaching, they would be reluctant or might not be able to afford it.

Teachers are constantly being trained in using new methodologies as well, and these are often resource intensive : you might need lollipop sticks, folders, coloured paper, markers, glue, etc... etc... Of course some will be available through the school, but it's often faster and safer to get your own, that way it doesn't get swiped by someone else before the day you need it.

I did supply work ( in the UK) at a school for disabled children and the craft stores were awesome.

But a whole different approach there along with the NHS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I never really thought about it. They wouldn't be looking for it if they didn't need it i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Apologies grace7, that was a poor attempt at sarcasm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

screamer wrote: »
    My biggest problem with back to school costs are the exhorbitant price of books, a monopoly of a few companies hammering us with stupid prices for books that can't even be passed on because next year teacher will want different books..... There should be no need for this, teachers should be able to write books for the dept of education that can then be printed en masse for much more reasonable prices. Same books and curriculum throughout the country and do away with the BS of a back breaking booklist a mile long
    :D:D:D:D
    Teachers DO write the texts in many cases, but the DES won't pay.
    Course they do....they write them for the greedy book publishers.... (For a nice fee I'd bet). What I am saying is that these books should be written for and published by the education department and done at a more nominal cost. With every child in every year having the same books the price would dramatically decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Have never paid it and never will tbh. As others have said, if the Dept of Education isn't properly funded through general taxation, then that's a matter for the Minster for Finance to sort out, not the parents.

I also have a huge problem with the access the Catholic Church are given to children through our current set up. Religion has no place in Education, blind faith is, imo, the exact antithesis of meaningful education and a society's tolerance for religion shouldn't extend to wasting our children's time teaching them about the nonsesnse the various faiths believe in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Sleepy wrote: »

I also have a huge problem with the access the Catholic Church are given to children through our current set up. Religion has no place in Education, blind faith is, imo, the exact antithesis of meaningful education and a society's tolerance for religion shouldn't extend to wasting our children's time teaching them about the nonsesnse the various faiths believe in.

If only we had threads to discuss this already :p

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Nurses don't buy syringes, Gardai dont put diesel in the patrol cars etc so why is it OK for teachers to buy resources? It's not but many teachers have a sense of care and duty to deliver lessons above and beyond for the benefit of their pupils.
    Never thought of it this way before - you are absolutely right.
    wrote:
    Swimming lessons are on the primary curriculum (Aquatics), teachers can't teach kids to swim in puddles in the yard so additional money is needed to facilitate that. A familarization of facts was needed here I feel.
    I dunno. Have you seen the potholes out our way? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Course they do....they write them for the greedy book publishers.... (For a nice fee I'd bet). What I am saying is that these books should be written for and published by the education department and done at a more nominal cost. With every child in every year having the same books the price would dramatically decrease.

There is a problem here in that those who make decisions about choosing books are not the ones paying the bill at the end of the day. Teachers need to pay more attention to cost, and indeed weight of books when making those choices.

Why is it an allegation against teachers?

I would have thought this kind of donation goes from parents to school administrators. It’s hardly going directly into the hands of teachers is it?
    So just to be clear, you're convinced that a lot of school secretaries are ripping off the cash for their own benefit, and principals, boards and parents just haven't noticed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

There is a problem here in that those who make decisions about choosing books are not the ones paying the bill at the end of the day. Teachers need to pay more attention to cost, and indeed weight of books when making those choices.

So just to be clear, you're convinced that a lot of school secretaries are ripping off the cash for their own benefit, and principals, boards and parents just haven't noticed?
    And this is why a lot schools now are going down the online payment route, first it stops any body having to handle hundreds of envelopes full of cash which is just to much of a temptation for some, second it stops any embarrassment for those who might not have the cash on first day of term.
    It happened in my child’s first school where a number of parents received a reminder to pay the fees even though they had paid already, they never found out where those 5 or 6 envelopes ended up. Since then I will always ask for a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

harr wrote: »
    .... Since then I will always ask for a receipt.

Can see why you do, but isn't it strange that people feel they have to ask for a receipt for a 'voluntary payment'

I suppose in the past , teachers have been viewed as one of the most decent upstanding pillars of society and wouldn't dream of absconding it and using it for any other purpose than its intended purpose saying "thank you for your contribution, I will look after that envelope of 250euro and make sure it goes to the correct place" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,889 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There is a problem here in that those who make decisions about choosing books are not the ones paying the bill at the end of the day.

Too right, and it's exactly the same with uniforms.

Some
    principals have their head stuck firmly up their rear end.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,889 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In secondary school we had a crested jumper and it did look neater everybody wearing the same jumper to be fair.

Ve must crush individuality! CRUSH!!!

I think uniforms and single-sex schooling are both completely mental.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Why is it an allegation against teachers?

I would have thought this kind of donation goes from parents to school administrators. It’s hardly going directly into the hands of teachers is it?

Nope, I didn’t accuse anyone of anything.

smart uniforms i think a necessity - following the schools colours , but hey if they bloody come from penneys or dunnes what is the harm like!

I have never got same sex schools .. especially in this modern day society - what is it so the pupils focus on the school subjects rather than the opposite sex is it? :) - is that what they exist for?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,548 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I was in senior and junior infants we had no uniform and were in mixed classes.
    Having a uniform made things a lot easier.
    Mixed classes I wasn't bothered.
    In secondary lots of the classes in 5th and 6th year used be mixed. I was mixed on it to be honest. It was fine nothing to write home about.

smart uniforms i think a necessity - following the schools colours , but hey if they bloody come from penneys or dunnes what is the harm like!

What would you do if you introduced a school uniform with a plain black jumper.
    Then kids started showing up in every type of black jumper with weird logos(which may not all match) and then the kids who'd want designer jumpers and laugh at the kids in own brand jumpers.

I was mixed on it to be honest. It was fine nothing to write home about.

Off topic, but you know when people mention school being the best years of your life, they're referring to mixed schools :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think uniforms are important for the security of the school and safety of everyone inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Should be mandatory or nothing.
    No voluntary contribution in the children's school. Mandatory "Arts and Crafts", and "Photocopying" charges.

I've texted this in to various radio discussions, and the principals organisations see this as justifiable, even though the threat is the child sits out/ doesn't get the work if they aren't paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I agree on single sex schools. I'm in two minds about uniforms, they are ugly, they are not flattering but they don't create competition among kids. I never needed to wear uniforms and I was always well dressed but I know it was noticed who wasn't. I also remember two of the kids in our school competing who will buy more expensive hoodie. They (their parents) bought the same one but one intentionally went to the shop where it was more expensive. I don't think the two morons were representative of all kids but individuality often means more financial pressure on parents and poorer kids stand out more.

Macy0161 wrote: »

I've texted this in to various radio discussions, and the principals organisations see this as justifiable, even though the threat is the child sits out/ doesn't get the work if they aren't paid.

I blame the parents more than the schools.

If the school's funding goes on heating and maintenance should the school not provide arts and crafts and photocopying (which probably saves on school book costs), should all students miss out?

Or, as some here seem to think, should some parents pay for other kids as well?

The, 'oh, the government should pay for it' brigade, are only using that as an excuse, knowing damn well the government wont do it.

Then kids started showing up in every type of black jumper with weird logos(which may not all match) and then the kids who'd want designer jumpers and laugh at the kids in own brand jumpers.

when i was growing up in high school (it would be called secondary school here) kids had to have a maroon jumper in my school .. you could buy that jumper from loads of different shops even shops equivalent to dunnes and penneys (we didnt have dunnes , I think it was St. Michael jumpers at M&S - and there was no store such as primark back then) - I think my mum bought the maroon jumpers from our Tesco's in the shopping centre there, upstairs they had clothes - then the school supplied the crests and I am pretty sure they must have been iron on crests because I remember my mum ironing on my crest on my school jumper. But they could be stitched/sewn on too. so you shopped around for your maroon jumper from wherever you wanted (posh people went to M&S and debenhams and poor people went to Tesco or other places) and stitch or sew on your school crest/logo onto the jumper - it seemed to work at the time .

when i was growing up in high school (it would be called secondary school here) kids had to have a maroon jumper in my school .. you could buy that jumper from loads of different shops even shops equivalent to dunnes and penneys (we didnt have dunnes , I think it was St. Michael jumpers at M&S - and there was no store such as primark back then) - I think my mum bought the maroon jumpers from our Tesco's in the shopping centre there, upstairs they had clothes - then the school supplied the crests and I am pretty sure they must have been iron on crests because I remember my mum ironing on my crest on my school jumper. But they could be stitched/sewn on too. so you shopped around for your maroon jumper from wherever you wanted (posh people went to M&S and debenhams and poor people went to Tesco or other places) and stitch or sew on your school crest/logo onto the jumper - it seemed to work at the time .

Thanks, I was just referring to when I was in school.
    There used be a lot of hassle regarding coats/hoodies at school between them going missing and people competing with one another and having several ones on the go.
    So, the school introduced a half zip a few years after I left. I think it would have saved a lot of hassle when I was there.

you wouldnt dare come to my high school with a weird logo or not the correct crest on your jumper , we had a bítch of a headmistress that every kid was frightened of and if you did you would most probably get suspended , or detention ... or whipped!

Off topic, but you know when people mention school being the best years of your life, they're referring to mixed schools :D

i'll show you mine if you show me yours, kiss chase ..... :)

i'll show you mine if you show me yours, kiss chase ..... :)

Was thinking more secondary school :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

If the school's funding goes on heating and maintenance should the school not provide arts and crafts and photocopying (which probably saves on school book costs), should all students miss out?

Or, as some here seem to think, should some parents pay for other kids as well?

The, 'oh, the government should pay for it' brigade, are only using that as an excuse, knowing damn well the government wont do it.
    There doesn't seem to be any reduction in the "book list", which also includes a significant amount of what I would consider arts and crafts anyway, with the glues, tapes, colouring equipment that is on it.

We both work full time, pay our mortgage and taxes, and I personally hate the entitlement culture. It'd do more for parents to put money for more early childcare places, "granny grants" etc into truly free primary and secondary education.

• Advertisement

......The, 'oh, the government should pay for it' brigade, are only using that as an excuse, knowing damn well the government wont do it.

you'd be surprised then what the right amount of pressure and threat of 'not getting in next time' can play a part in changing governments minds and the way they do things

Advertisement