Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leonards Motors - I don't recommend this place

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

bigpink wrote:
    Actually how do they get away with parking all the cars on a public road

There is some kind of exemption for car dealerships and garages that allows them to park vehicles in this fashion as long as a garage sign is displayed on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

And of course you have some evidence to back this up ???????;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

from laois but should be an all over
    Unauthorised Vehicles on Public Road – Section 71 Roads Act 1993
    Laois County Council wishes to advise that it is an offence under the above Act to
    erect, place or retain a vehicle used for the purposes of advertising, the sale of
    goods, the provision of services or other similar purpose on a public road without the
    authorisation of the Roads Authority.
    This includes the placing of vehicles “For Sale” on the public carriageways.
    The owner of any such unauthorised vehicle is instructed to remove the vehicle with
    immediate effect. Failing such removal, the Council will, without further notice,
    arrange for the removal of the offending vehicle in the interests of public safety and
    amenity.
    A vehicle removed and stored by Laois County Council under this Section shall be
    given to a person claiming it, but only if he makes a declaration in writing that he is
    the owner of the vehicle or is authorised by its owner to claim it, and pays the costs
    incurred by Laois County Council in removing and storing the said vehicle.
    Laois County Council will retain any such removed vehicles for six (6) weeks. If at the
    end of this period the vehicle remains unclaimed and not removed, Laois County
    Council will dispose of the vehicle as authorised under the Ac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

phill106 wrote: »
    from laois but should be an all over
    Unauthorised Vehicles on Public Road – Section 71 Roads Act 1993
    Laois County Council wishes to advise that it is an offence under the above Act to
    erect, place or retain a vehicle used for the purposes of advertising, the sale of
    goods, the provision of services or other similar purpose on a public road without the
    authorisation of the Roads Authority.
    This includes the placing of vehicles “For Sale” on the public carriageways.
    The owner of any such unauthorised vehicle is instructed to remove the vehicle with
    immediate effect. Failing such removal, the Council will, without further notice,
    arrange for the removal of the offending vehicle in the interests of public safety and
    amenity.
    A vehicle removed and stored by Laois County Council under this Section shall be
    given to a person claiming it, but only if he makes a declaration in writing that he is
    the owner of the vehicle or is authorised by its owner to claim it, and pays the costs
    incurred by Laois County Council in removing and storing the said vehicle.
    Laois County Council will retain any such removed vehicles for six (6) weeks. If at the
    end of this period the vehicle remains unclaimed and not removed, Laois County
    Council will dispose of the vehicle as authorised under the Ac

Agree. Near where I live a garage takes up and blocks a large amount of the hard shoulder with their cars. No idea why they think it's ok to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

mgbgt1978 wrote:
    And of course you have some evidence to back this up ???????

Yes. The evidence is visible on Mulgrave Street every working day. They are long established main dealers at the site so would hardly be engaging in a prolonged, flagrant breach of parking regulations - as some may see it - without incurring the wrath of the powers that be. Perhaps they just pay the daily parking fees to the council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

I bought 3 cars from Leonards, 1 second Hand and 2 new, between '95 and '06 and thought they were decent to deal with, I dealt directly with the boss on 2 of the 3 and couldn't say a bad word about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

stcosmin wrote: »
    I had two experiences with Leonards Motors Limerick and I definitely don't recommend this shop:

1. In spring 2018 I book a test drive for a Mazda3 having the intention to buy a new or second-hand car from this shop. The test drive was a disappointment because I was allowed to drive for a very short distance/time on a crowded road. After the test drive, I had a discussion with the salesperson (Leonards in person) and I was so disappointed because he didn't have a computer to configure a car or give me more info regarding different options and specs. He had only the available cars printed on papers which is not something I would expect for a car dealer in 2018. Later I discovered that his prices were worse when compared with other Mazda dealers.
    The worst part was when I asked him about second-hand Mazda cars. He was so upset that I booked a test drive in a new car and now I am interested in second-hand cars. His behaviour made me feel so bad and I realised that I don't want to deal with that person anymore.

2. Later I bought a second-hand car from another dealer and I gave a second chance to this shop since it is the closest to my house. I called the service to make an appointment for a normal service (oil, filters, etc). Because they were fully booked in the next 2 months, I searched for another Mazda official dealer to service the car (the car was almost 3 years old so I wanted to service the car as soon as possible for peace of mind). A month after I serviced the car on another Mazda dealer, I discovered some warranty issues (small ones) that I wanted to address before my warranty will expire. I went to Leonards Motors (this time to the service office) and I requested them to fix the warranty issues. After they checked the car, they informed me that they will not address the issues in my car without giving me any reason. I pushed back and at the end, they informed me that I should go to the shop that serviced my car a month ago. I was so surprised and mad when I heard this and I just walked away. As far as I am aware, this is an abuse since I had a valid warranty and the car was serviced only at Mazda authorised dealers.
    These are the reasons why I don' recommend this shop/service and I will never go there (I can go to Charleville or Ennis although I need to drive a bit).

I hope this is helpful for others that are thinking to go there to buy a car or for a service.

Well you do know that the car trade has a reputation for being a bit shady at time. Why I have even heard that some dealers will go on social media with the sole intention of bad mouthing the opposition, can you believe that! :eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

*Mod Note* Not sure why OP is posting threads and not responding. Not the 1st time.
    The thread has gone all over the place and in fairness to Leonards Motors, lets park it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

**MOD NOTE ** - Update from the OP asked the mods to post this in relation to the questions.

1. Yes, I am talking about the manufacturer warranty which is available worldwide so any Mazda dealer should deal with it. Leonards Motors refused to do that.
    2. I bought the car from a UK Mazda dealer so going back was not something easy and desirable to do. Mazda worldwide warranty applies even in this case.
    3. When I did the test drive I was not decided on a new or second-hand car and there are not so many differences between a 2015 and a 2018 Mazda 3. Is normal to do a test drive on a new car in this situation and then decide what to buy. After I tested the car I didn't tell the guy that I actually want to buy a second-hand car, I just asked him if he has any almost new Mazda 3 to check. As you can notice I bought a car in the end so my intention was to buy not to waste time.
    4. After I bought the car I wanted to do a regular service (oil, filters, brake pads) and because Leonards Motors was busy I had to go to another Mazda dealer and service the car. I don't see anything wrong here. The warranty issues were not related to the service (i had a damaged passenger seat cover and an issue with the infotainment wifi).
    5. I don't have any connection with another Mazda dealer so this bad review is an honest one and this is exactly what happened.

As a side note, I solved all my warranty issues at another Irish Mazda dealer and now the car is just fine.
    I hope this clarifies all the questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement