Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webroot is classifying my IP address as High Risk

Options
  • 29-08-2018 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Small business owner running a laptop off a Vodafone Mobile Broadband Router here.

I am being prevented from using my online bank facility as www.brightcloud.com are classifying my IP address as "High Risk" and they are ticking the "Scanners" box in the threat analysis section.

I tried submitting a change of status request to BrightCloud who in fairness responded fairly quickly but their response is not what I was expecting in that they simply confirmed

"We have reviewed XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX and determined that the IP address should remain as Scanners. Here’s what we know about the IP:

First released on: 2018-08-26 19:00:12
    Last released on: 2018-08-26 19:00:12
    IP Threat history: 1
    Outbound Threat: NA
    Additional Analysis:
    Research timestamp: 8/29/2018 9:47:19 AM
    Geo: dublin ireland leinster
    ISP: vodafone ireland limited
    Domains: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
    Domain Age: -1
    ASN: 15502

Thanks again for your suggestion!"

(I replaced the actual IP address with X's)

So they basically reaffirmed their threat analysis but I've no idea what has led to them classifying my IP address as "Scanners" or even what that means despite doing a bit of Googling on it.

I tried rebooting the router and Laptop etc to see if that would change anything but it hasn't.

Would appreciate any help you can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AFAIK you'll be behind carrier NAT like that.

Login to your router and check what IP address it shows for the public side. It'' either be:
    A) the same as the one above
    B) 10.x.x.x

If its the later then that IP isnt yours. Its you and 1000 other customers. If any of those 1000 customers are acting the maggot you're all blacked.

That being the case ask vodafone for an APN that will give you an IP just for you (doesnt need to be static, just not NAT'd).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

ED E wrote: »
    AFAIK you'll be behind carrier NAT like that.

Login to your router and check what IP address it shows for the public side. It'' either be:
    A) the same as the one above
    B) 10.x.x.x

If its the later then that IP isnt yours. Its you and 1000 other customers. If any of those 1000 customers are acting the maggot you're all blacked.

That being the case ask vodafone for an APN that will give you an IP just for you (doesnt need to be static, just not NAT'd).

Thanks Ed, really appreciate it.

Advertisement