If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

49" Samsung, or something better?

Options
  • 29-08-2018 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi there

I’m on the hunt for a new TV, have been doing some research, which has my head wrecked. At least I have a few specific needs that should help narrow things down.

Mostly we use streaming apps for movies & TV, hardly any sports, with a small bit of PS Pro gaming and blu-rays; I’m keen to check out some HDR/4k content, esp from Netflix and Prime.
    Actually the main thing I need the TV to have is one ARC HDMI that can pass-through DD5.1, for my Sonos Beam surround setup. I gather most TVs have that nowadays but just want to be sure...

As far as picture quality goes, I know enough to turn off motion smoothing right away, then usually grab some calibration settings from avforums, but there’s a lot of talk of ‘nits’ and ‘cd/m2’ online and arguments about IPS vs VA panels that actually make it all murkier! Which is why I’m looking for advice. Don’t really want to go over £700.

So...I’ve read a fair few people saying last year’s Samsung UE49MU7000 was pretty good and from reviews it looks like it ticks a lot of boxes for me but it’s discontinued, although there’s a few on Amazon at £659. No 6 yr warranty there of course.
    I’m wondering, is this year’s UE50NU7400 in any way comparable, or is it more like the MU6400? At £600, the price is right but I’m finding reviews thin on the ground.

And now this morning, I saw this thread: https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057906140
    where you mention the LG 49SK8100 and the LG 55SJ810 as good ones. I’ve usually gone with Samsung over the years but not against trying LG.

Long post short (!), assuming the MU7000 really was a good quality TV, which of the other 3 would you say come closest in quality? Hope that’s not too painful a question...

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

elWizard wrote: »
    Hi there

I’m on the hunt for a new TV, have been doing some research, which has my head wrecked. At least I have a few specific needs that should help narrow things down.

Mostly we use streaming apps for movies & TV, hardly any sports, with a small bit of PS Pro gaming and blu-rays; I’m keen to check out some HDR/4k content, esp from Netflix and Prime.
    Actually the main thing I need the TV to have is one ARC HDMI that can pass-through DD5.1, for my Sonos Beam surround setup. I gather most TVs have that nowadays but just want to be sure...

As far as picture quality goes, I know enough to turn off motion smoothing right away, then usually grab some calibration settings from avforums, but there’s a lot of talk of ‘nits’ and ‘cd/m2’ online and arguments about IPS vs VA panels that actually make it all murkier! Which is why I’m looking for advice. Don’t really want to go over £700.

So...I’ve read a fair few people saying last year’s Samsung UE49MU7000 was pretty good and from reviews it looks like it ticks a lot of boxes for me but it’s discontinued, although there’s a few on Amazon at £659. No 6 yr warranty there of course.
    I’m wondering, is this year’s UE50NU7400 in any way comparable, or is it more like the MU6400? At £600, the price is right but I’m finding reviews thin on the ground.

And now this morning, I saw this thread: https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057906140
    where you mention the LG 49SK8100 and the LG 55SJ810 as good ones. I’ve usually gone with Samsung over the years but not against trying LG.

Long post short (!), assuming the MU7000 really was a good quality TV, which of the other 3 would you say come closest in quality? Hope that’s not too painful a question...
    Elwizard,

thanks for the post and not a painful Q at all - that's what we are here for :)

Yep, you cracked it - Samsung have completely changed their model number system for 2018/9 and this year's '7' series roughly equate to last year's '64' series ( which isn't really a bad thing!).

The MU7000 was however an excellent TV and it's a pity that you missed it - I would far prefer the SJ810 at £649 / €729 than the current NU7400 or of course the 49SK8100 as the 2018/9 LG model is really super as well if you are happy to step down a screen size in return for quality at £749 / €849 ( there may be a little movement on the 49SK8100 to nudge closer to your budget.

In terms of reviews, you are correct there isn't a lot of content around on the 7400 / SK8100 models yet as they are still fairly new but I would expect to see a slew of reviews over the next few months!

Thanks again for the post and as ever dont hesitate to drop us a line if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

Hi there

Elwizard,

Yep, you cracked it - Samsung have completely changed their model number system for 2018/9 and this year's '7' series roughly equate to last year's '64' series ( which isn't really a bad thing!).

The MU7000 was however an excellent TV and it's a pity that you missed it - I would far prefer the SJ810 at £649 / €729 than the current NU7400 or of course the 49SK8100 as the 2018/9 LG model is really super as well if you are happy to step down a screen size in return for quality at £749 / €849 ( there may be a little movement on the 49SK8100 to nudge closer to your budget.

In terms of reviews, you are correct there isn't a lot of content around on the 7400 / SK8100 models yet as they are still fairly new but I would expect to see a slew of reviews over the next few months!

Thanks again for the post and as ever dont hesitate to drop us a line if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Thanks a mil for the comprehensive response John. Right, until yesterday I hadn't really been thinking LG or 55", but I do like the sound of that 810, and the price seems good. I'll read up a bit on LG and then hopefully circle back to you, cheers.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi there

Elwizard,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Thanks a mil for the comprehensive response John. Right, until yesterday I hadn't really been thinking LG or 55", but I do like the sound of that 810, and the price seems good. I'll read up a bit on LG and then hopefully circle back to you, cheers.
    No problem at all Elwizard.

Let us know what you think once you have done some reading up.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.