Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave chappelle & Jon Stewart 3 arena :D

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

3arena twitter:
    **Show Times Tonight - Dave Chappelle & Jon Stewart** Doors open at 6.30pm and show starts at 8pm sharp. Reminder this is a phone free show!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Not a fan myself but apparently Michelle Wolf is on before John Stewart.

She'd be most well known for the following.....

Can't wait otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Great show but people are absolute ****ing idiots in this country at gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

xckjoo wrote:
    I'm looking forward to it! What do you think will be inconvenient and why would you say you don't have one?

The obvious answer is that's its another que, and I'd say I didn't have one so I didn't have to que on the way out.
    The second part was more out of interest tho.
    Got there and there was no ques to get in so worked out well in the end. It was nice not having lights from phones all around me.
    Yer one wasn't that funny was she...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Well thank fcuk I didn't miss jon Stewart! Jesus that was some gig. The crowd was embarrassing... some knob shouting rick James, imagine being that tool!
    Thought Michelle was hilarious, I've tried her show and turned it off but actually really enjoyed her set, even if she nearly blew my ear drums at times.
    Dave was absolutely phenomenal, I mean everything that came out of his mouth was perfect! So glad we forked out for good seats, made the whole thing very surreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Thought Michelle Wolf started off strong but kind of fizzled out by the end. Certainly a good opener but wouldn't be my taste.

I was disappointed in Jon Stewart. It felt like he had prepared for a UK show and had the news broken to him about 5 mins beforehand: "You know it's Ireland, and not UK, yeah? They are not part of Brexit". Once he moved away from Brexit stuff he got much better.

I enjoyed Chappelle very much. Thought it was very funny. Loved his analysis of Kanye West. a little bit too long on Chuck Berry but that's, again, just personal opinion. Thought he was certainly the sharpest of the three.

Thought the crowd was pretty poor but at least we weren't watching the show through somebody else's phone.

Overall, thought it was good, worth my money, but would like to have seen a better-prepared Jon Stewart (As he was my main draw).

On a side note: Was sitting beside a guy who sat, arms folded, back straight, rigid (Apart from a slowly-shaking head) every time Trump was mentioned. What were you expecting, buddy? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Is the phone thing an issue at comedy gigs? Was in the 3Arena for another comedy gig and can't say I even noticed people using phones tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Pelvis wrote: »
    Is the phone thing an issue at comedy gigs? Was in the 3Arena for another comedy gig and can't say I even noticed people using phones tbh.

In my opinion phone thing is an issue at EVERY gig! I don't wanna pay money to watch through someone's phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

In my opinion phone thing is an issue at EVERY gig! I don't wanna pay money to watch through someone's phone.
    Well they weren't at the gig I went to, so that's not the case. In fact I don't recall any comedy I've been to having an abundance of people holding up their phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Big mac and fries

I enjoyed Michelle Wolfe which surprised me as I was never a fan of her on the Daily Show. I think 20 mins is more than enough though as that voice is very hard to listen to
    I was slightly disappointed with Jon Stewart but I think that was as my expectations were so high as I am a massive fan and he was the reason I went. I had heard a couple of the stories a couple of years ago
    Dave Chappelle was great, I had never seen any of his work before, though I agree with the other poster who said that the Chuck Berry story went on a bit too long
    The last bit at the end was very disjointed when they were all on. I was thinking that if they had done a send your questions to a hashtag name it could have been good but then remembered that there were no phones in the hall, so there were alot of idiots shouting "funny" stuff and poor Danielle with her stage fright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Pelvis wrote: »

I would guess part of it is that they don't want the material getting out before future gigs. It's not a huge surprise if a band plays one of their songs, but a lot of comedy relies on the element of surprise.

That and flashing lights going off can be more distracting for the performer when they are just speaking as opposed to playing music. Same way phones aren't allowed during a play.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What was the deal with Dave smoking on stage?
    Were they herbal? I thought that was verboten.

Also, at Jim Jefferies, Bill Burr, they had screens either side of stage. Am I right that they weren't there last night. I was right in wing so maybe just couldn't see them.
    Did this affect viewing pleasure from upper deck? Can't imagine you'd have been able pick out facial expressions of performers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Enjoyed it overall, but I felt like I was in Copper's with the DJ blaring out deafening chart shite at the beginning, found that pretty bizarre. That followed by 20 minutes of Michelle Wolfe's shrill voice didn't have me in the most comedic of moods.

Chappelle was definitely the best of the bunch. Was great to look around as well and see not a single phone in anyone's hand amongst thousands of people. When's the last time you could say that? 15, 20 years ago at least? Found it interesting anyway.

When all three of them were up together at the end it was a bit messy, but it was cool to see them try something new. Chappelle again stealing the show, the stuff he can come out with off the cuff is unreal. Seemed like he didn't want to leave the stage at the end.

Did anyone head to 37 Dawson Street after? The DJ mentioned they were heading there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

The no phones thing was brilliantl. Hope they bring it on for all gigs.
    Michelle’s voice is horrendous but she was funny so wasn’t too bad. Stewart was solid support and Dave was class.
    It was shocking that there was no screens either side of the stage. **** sake paid enough for the tickets so the seats were solid enough but I won’t be going to another comedy gig In the three arena

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Stewart and Wolf were good but Chappelle is just in a different league, so funny, even with the disjointed questions at the end he took whatever was coming and was able to make it hilarious.

I thought the Chuck Berry story was fantastic, a classic Chappelle bit.

thought Michelle Wolf was pretty poor. only caught the last 15mins, but it was mostly "here's how men are dumb and think about their penises, here's some other stuff about vaginas". doing wonders for the stereotypes there.

Stewart was OK I suppose, thought he'd be better.

Chappelle was great overall.

the bit at the end with all 3 was a bit of a mess.
    didn't really have any issue with the crowd, if you ask for the audience to shout out topics at the end, it'll obviously be boozed up clowns shouting stupid stuff. at least it was better than the 30 seconds waiting in silence for that girl from Newbridge to ask a question about the Spiderman movie.

quite a few bits fell flat when they tried to be serious or make political/societal observations. thought there were several "are we supposed to be finding this funny?" moments from the crowd.

phone thing was painless and really quick, would love to see it for all gigs/comedy events tbh
    Did this affect viewing pleasure from upper deck? Can't imagine you'd have been able pick out facial expressions of performers.
    we were almost at the front row on the top tier, definitely couldn't see facial expressions. the lighting just made their heads look like big bright blobs.

Gees but Michelle's voice is high pitched.
    Don't know if it was that fact or the setup but during her set there was a discrepancy between speakers above where I was and in the centre of the arena. This sounded like an echo but was gone for John and Dave.

I was thinking before the show about how Dave was going to do the white guy voice. Thought it was clever how he said that given his success now his son sounds like one.

Thought him taking the mick out of security guy was impromptu and funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Thought Michelle Wolfe was a great addition. Found her very good. Thought John Stewart was good but not a polished as the other two. Dave was excellent but maybe not as good as his last Netflix special. The phone bag was good. Not too much extra hassle and minimum delay getting it opened afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Really enjoyed it, despite the morons.

The shouts of 'Rick James, bitch' I can just about handle but the 'right-on' whoops are infinitely more annoying. We get it, you're not a racist, now stfu.

Stewart was alright, seemed to be phoning it in a touch, but thought he was good and that's from someone that doesn't agree with much of what he has to say. The hallmark of a good comedian I think, if they can make you laugh in spite of that and he did, and does.

Chappelle though is in another league. His responses to idiotic heckles were almost classic bits. The whole Huggins, Higgins for Spiderman thing most comedians wouldn't have much for but his response was one of the funniest things of the night.

Comedy genius.

The phone thing must really work anyway as there isn't so much as a photo on Twitter today and that's pretty rare for a gig that size, although I did see a sudden flurry of flashes as they were walking off stage so some cameras (or phones) must have been smuggled in but people were just afraid to take 'em out until the last seconds lest they be turfed out.

Was at Kevin Hart and it was the same policy there. It's a good thing I think.

I was in tears for all or Chappelle.

Thought the highlight was when some Americans up in the rafters cheered at the mention or crack addicts in DC.

"Are you cheering for crack or for DC?..... actually with those seats, it's probably crack."

• Advertisement

Gees but Michelle's voice is high pitched.
    Don't know if it was that fact or the setup but during her set there was a discrepancy between speakers above where I was and in the centre of the arena. This sounded like an echo but was gone for John and Dave.

I was thinking before the show about how Dave was going to do the white guy voice. Thought it was clever how he said that given his success now his son sounds like one.

Thought him taking the mick out of security guy was impromptu and funny.

Ye know McGregor was sitting right in the front and that's why he mentioned the security guard! Never even copped the whoor and we were in the 3rd row!

Ye know McGregor was sitting right in the front and that's why he mentioned the security guard! Never even copped the whoor and we were in the 3rd row!

Dave also referred to Mcgregor (other maybe the security guard) as knuckles and tried to get them to pass the mic to the girl at the end.

I also loved how he acknowledged Mcgregor as soon as he saw him and then proceeded to talk about him as if he wasn't there!

You certain? I was sure he was mocking the middle of the seated guys in front of the stage. I thought he was leaning over the front looking at him as he was doing it.

Can anyone else confirm one way or another?
    I would have thought if McGregor was there there would have been more interaction/banter about it. Thought the guy he called mcgregor was someone who just looked like him.......

You certain? I was sure he was mocking the middle of the seated guys in front of the stage. I thought he was leaning over the front looking at him as he was doing it.

Can anyone else confirm one way or another?
    I would have thought if McGregor was there there would have been more interaction/banter about it. Thought the guy he called mcgregor was someone who just looked like him.......
    Nope not certain but it makes sense of the first thing that came out of his mouth when he walked on stage! Can't find a fcuking pic or anything definite online.

It wasn't McGregor. He was making fun of a bearded guy in the front row is all. I was near enough to him. Definitely wasn't McGregor. He had a black beard.

TJ Mackie wrote: »
    It wasn't McGregor. He was making fun of a bearded guy in the front row is all. I was near enough to him. Definitely wasn't McGregor. He had a black beard.

If it wasn't him there was a guy that was very much trying to look like mcgregor that strolled in a few minutes after the start of each act with beats headphones around his neck. Didn't look like he had a black beard but guess I wasn't close enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

Fairly certain it was a joke, McGregor has no reason to be in Ireland these days, I'd be extremely surprised if he was even in the country, let alone sitting relatively quietly in the front row at a gig with comedians who'd be expected to bring him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Yep, Chappelle was just mocking your man. Plenty of McGregor clones around the place. It's highly likely McGregor was still stateside at the time. Also the "knuckles" comment was definitely in reference to the security guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The DJ music at the start was painfully loud...and it didnt get any better when Wolf came on.
    She was funny but the combination of her shrill voice and super loudness (someone needs to tell her not to shout!) made it hard to listen to her properly.

The two lads were very good, with Dave obviously topping the show off.

Felt that Wolf couldnt really contribute much as they set around at the end, could have done without her.

No phones was great and made zero impact to me arriving or leaving.
    Queues at the bars were fine.

Stupid late arrivals and masses of people leaving inbetween each act was bizzare for me, Id say a couple of thousand people werent there when Chappelle hit the stage.
    I guess some people really need their phones.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    The DJ music at the start was painfully loud...and it didnt get any better when Wolf came on.
    She was funny but the combination of her shrill voice and super loudness (someone needs to tell her not to shout!) made it hard to listen to her properly.

The two lads were very good, with Dave obviously topping the show off.

Felt that Wolf couldnt really contribute much as they set around at the end, could have done without her.

No phones was great and made zero impact to me arriving or leaving.
    Queues at the bars were fine.

Stupid late arrivals and masses of people leaving inbetween each act was bizzare for me, Id say a couple of thousand people werent there when Chappelle hit the stage.
    I guess some people really need their phones.

i'd say most were going to the toilet/smoke/bar (which was already closed)

Advertisement