Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bogus gas inspectors Ballinlough/ballintemple

Options
  • 29-08-2018 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up, guy called to the door with a tape measure for a gas inspection in Ardmahon tonight, both our cars gone. My daughter asked for ID and said dads on duty (I'm not a Guard but good reply) and he excused himself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

You have a very clever child there OP, great thinking, "my Dads on duty".

Thank you for the heads up.

It is that season now again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Just fart and say "inspect that" while you close the door.
    Scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

kub wrote: »
    You have a very clever child there OP, great thinking, "my Dads on duty".

Thank you for the heads up.

It is that season now again.

Turns out he had already called to two of the neighbours before mine.

I called the Gardai as soon as I got the call & in fairness they sent a car up pretty quickly but I'd say he'd gone by then.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Before we moved to an apartment we were in a house in Togher, and i had to drill it into the missus' head not to answer the door - it's never going to be good news really is it. It's either going to be someone asking for money or trying to sell something. I used walk right upto window and look out to see who it was and she used say "You have to answer now, they've seen you!" - No, I don't, love, I really, really don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Before we moved to an apartment we were in a house in Togher, and i had to drill it into the missus' head not to answer the door - it's never going to be good news really is it. It's either going to be someone asking for money or trying to sell something. I used walk right upto window and look out to see who it was and she used say "You have to answer now, they've seen you!" - No, I don't, love, I really, really don't!

And definitely don't answer a knock on your internal apartment door - it's probably the TV license inspector!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

MrDerp wrote: »
    And definitely don't answer a knock on your internal apartment door - it's probably the TV license inspector!

Guaranteed! Anyone we know will let us know if they're coming over anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Unannounced callers will knock once, maybe twice.

If its family or friends they'd battering ram the door until you answer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Any description of this character?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Any description of this character?

Aged about 40-50, thinning light hair, dirty jeans and a mustard colour T shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Aged about 40-50, thinning light hair, dirty jeans and a mustard colour T shirt

I know this is a serious issue but in all fairness he could of tried to make it believable, at least dress the part if going to deceive someone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

A fella came to my door a few years back with a Fás sign in sheet and nervously said he was getting sponsorship for a Fás scheme, trying to avoid any eye contact.

I actually felt bad for him, because he was clearly an idiot and desperate for cash, and didn't even have the ability to think of a proper ruse. I signed a fake name and gave him a tenner.

Actually, wait a minute .... what if I'M the idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 trik

So what was the bogus inspector up to? Casing the place for a later burglary or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

trik wrote: »
    So what was the bogus inspector up to? Casing the place for a later burglary or something?

Most likely. Guys casing houses in Carrigaline a couple weeks ago delivering Ikea catalogues!

Advertisement