Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fold up bikes

Options
  • 29-08-2018 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of investing in one of these using the BTW scheme. I was just looking for feedback on how good they are in terms of speed, user friendliness folding the bike up and also getting it cycling ready and also would anyone suggest makes/models. I would have the full €1000 budget to use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Brompton seems to have the best reputation (great, fast and very compact fold; good-quality ride). I have one, and it's really great. I think if you got a basic model it would be about €1000, but I don't know for sure.

As for speed, I passed one of those digital speed display road signs on the Bromton once, it read 30km/h or so, so they're not that slow. They have a large chain ring to compensate for the small wheels, so one turn of the pedals rotates the rear wheel more revolutions than you might expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Overall speed shouldn't an issue, as the gear ratios are suited to the wheel size. The usual bicycle rules about weight and rolling resistance will still apply to how fast a particular bike will feel.

The Brompton is the gold standard - weight, easy of un/folding, sturdiness (lack of "wobbliness"), relatively low rolling resistance from narrowish, high pressure tyres, etc

The less you spend, the heavier things will be, and the more steps there will be to un/folding it. Additionally, the latches may be less durable in the long run.

It's essential to test ride any folding bike, as they all ride quite differently (even more so than regular bikes), and a bike that looks fine/average may be horrible or really great for you.

I've test-ridden a few during repair work and, if it were me, I would ride a Brompton first and then judge the others by it. It's popular for a reason, but they aren't cheap.

PS: Important question - why do you need a folder? - they are all a compromise (even the Brompton), so only get one if you really need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Brompton.

I recently got one as I'm commuting by bus due to injury/rehabilitation/physio.

For me the most important feature was folded size followed by weight, handling, luggage, (dis)assembly, and then price.

I had a go of a colleague's Strida, which has a very quick fold, works fine standing on the luas but not as small as the Brompton. Other than that I compared and contrasted on the internet and just decided that the extra price for the Brompton was worth it for the convenience.

What is your commute or use case, as you see it? A lot of what I read put different bikes ahead in some regards and behind in other, as they are in their nature compromise bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭billyhead

The plan was to use it to get to the train station bring it on the train and then use it from the destination station to the workplace as there is no Dublin Bike stand near it and the commute to the train station is 2.5km each way. The commute to the workplace from the destination station is about 1.5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Yep, that's one of the right reasons to get a folder - loads of people think that they're a good idea because "you never know", but then they end up never using them...

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    The plan was to use it to get to the train station bring it on the train...

Sounds good. Assuming you are doing the journey now, have a look at the storage space available at the seats - I don't take the train here, but in the Netherlands the Brompton fit perfectly between the seats.

This is great because you can keep it near you and not worry about it.

Now on the (Dublin) bus there's not much luggage space - I use it when I can but usually end up standing anyway. Something to consider for the train is what it's like when busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Idleater wrote: »
    What is your commute or use case, as you see it? A lot of what I read put different bikes ahead in some regards and behind in other, as they are in their nature compromise bikes.

Sounds like me.....
    I got a Giant Halfway second hand last year because the price was right and I thought my missus would use it to commute to work - also, I just .....fancied...one
    In reality, she doesn't - qu'elle surprise, but we've used it for greenway spins and I've used it for occasions where I have to leave the car (eg service time) and get to/from work. I think they are a great idea if you will get the use and the OP seems to be a good case.

The Halfway is easy to put up/take down, isnt too heavy, has a carrier good drivechain and mudguards built in (important for the inward journey to work in wnter conditions). It is a bit....twitchy.....in handling terms compared to a good roadbike, but this is manageable. The other thing to note is the relative slow speed-for-effort compared to a road bike, but you may not have such prejudices.

Besides, its a bike and bikes are cool, regardless. Get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Anybody have any experience with Tern Fold ups?

Ride quality and size/weight when folded.

I'm thinking of getting one. I'm working two days a week in Limerick and it would make getting to and from the train a more realistic option. Driving is wrecking my head.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Anybody have any experience with Tern Fold ups?

Ride quality and size/weight when folded..

I was looking at them too, discounted them only on some mixed reviews and not being able to get to try one.

The bigger wheels are more stable (I guess) and the "normal" components were a plus for maintenance.

Advertisement