Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Issue no lease

Options
  • 29-08-2018 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

I moved into a house share 3 weeks ago and there was no lease just a verbal agreement to rent for 6 months, 3 weeks in and she is looking for rent even though not a month has gone by, she is renting the house and sub letting a room to me, anyone know what my rights are in regards to notice, like can she ask me to leave at any time or is there notice required?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Do you mean she is looking for the first months rent that you are now 3 weeks late on or the 2nd months rent a week early?

You are in a leasee agreement and essentially have no rights here. Either live by her rules or move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Reasonabler notice is required but it's not defined and nigh on impossible (IMHO) to enforce. Move out ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Oh boy. Liam, is this another thread where you don't believe you should pay your way in life?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

liam650 wrote: »
    I moved into a house share 3 weeks ago and there was no lease just a verbal agreement to rent for 6 months, 3 weeks in and she is looking for rent even though not a month has gone by, she is renting the house and sub letting a room to me, anyone know what my rights are in regards to notice, like can she ask me to leave at any time or is there notice required?

Rent is paid monthly (obviously) and the start of a new month is commencing.......

It sounds like you are a licensee- not a tenant either- so you're not entitled to the security of the Residential Tenancies Act.

Unfortunately- it sounds like- in her mind- you moved into the property late- but she still has to pay the rent monthly- so is pursuing you for your monthly share when its due (aka now)- rather than in a weeks time..........

If you don't like it- unfortunately your only option is to move- and try to move into a tenancy situation- rather than a licensee situation- next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

If the OP hasn't damaged the house or contents or done anything to the house to justify non return of deposit, and the LL did in fact say he's not getting deposit back by saying it's long gone, I.e. I spent it, I'd personally have no issues leaving the landlord in the red and not even leaving him breaking even like the OP has done.

Nuts to the law, nuts to regulation. The LL has threatened to leave the OP 560 in the red, I'd gladly do it back.

That's if everything on here is true by the way. For perspective, I live in my own mortgaged house now, only property, and I've been a tenant and a LL in the past so see from all sides.

Bad landlords and bad tenants out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Dupe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

If the OP hasn't damaged the house or contents or done anything to the house to justify non return of deposit, and the LL did in fact say he's not getting deposit back by saying it's long gone, I.e. I spent it, I'd personally have no issues leaving the landlord in the red and not even leaving him breaking even like the OP has done.

Nuts to the law, nuts to regulation. The LL has threatened to leave the OP 560 in the red, I'd gladly do it back.

That's if everything on here is true by the way. For perspective, I live in my own mortgaged house now, only property, and I've been a tenant and a LL in the past so see from all sides.

I think you replied to the wrong thread ;) and op I think you know well the laws, from your other posts you never do or never can pay for anything including rent.. so I think you should get out now and save this poor person from dealing with you also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I think you replied to the wrong thread ;) and op I think you know well the laws, from your other posts you never do or never can pay for anything including rent.. so I think you should get out now and save this poor person from dealing with you also.

I did indeed, sorry!
    I'll give my tuppence on this one so.

Liam is not a troll, he's been posting for years about not paying his way and trying to get one over on people, waaaay too many posts on the one topic for it to be a joke, even though it sounds like a joke.

So, for balance even though I meant to post on another thread where tenant is being shafted by LL and I suggested not paying, in this case Liam has to pay even if he doesn't want to.

Terrible way to live your life his posting history shows how difficult you make things for yourself constantly trying to scam and not pay.

In fact I'd hazard a guess that it's easier and less time consuming to just get a 40 hour a week job and pay your way than expend all the time and effort trying to do things the Liam way, aka the wrong way

Hard work being miserable

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭liam650

So she said to me that the start date is the first of each month, so i have agreed to pay it just to avoid hassle but as regards my status, if she was to all of a sudden ask me to leave any time for no reason what would be the process? because i have heard other people in this position that have had the gaurds called on them to get them to leave immediatley, but in this case she actually doesnt own the house, she is renting it and subletting without permission

So she said to me that the start date is the first of each month, so i have agreed to pay it just to avoid hassle but as regards my status, if she was to all of a sudden ask me to leave any time for no reason what would be the process? because i have heard other people in this position that have had the gaurds called on them to get them to leave immediatley, but in this case she actually doesnt own the house, she is renting it and subletting without permission

You are a licensee, not a tenant.
    You can be asked to leave at any time.
    Normal practice is to give 'reasonable notice' (which isn't defined- but in the case of antisocial behaviour- no notice would be given, in other instances- it would normally be either a week, or whatever the periodic rental period is- however, this is up to the person who is licensing the room- not you).
    You are not a tenant- you have no tenancy rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

but in this case she actually doesnt own the house, she is renting it and subletting without permission
    Getting rid of you will solve the issue of subletting without permission. You may get a weeks notice, but if you become anti-social, be prepared for 24 hours notice to leave.

Honestly- I'm closing this thread.
    The OP's question *has* been answered- I accept he is not happy with the answer- however, it has been conclusively answered.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement