Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So after Ultra HD TVs what will come next?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

4K is the most anyone really needs at home even when talking about Home-Cinema Projectors projecting 130" images. Sure half the Digital projectors in Cinema are 2K nevermind 4K.

8K...load of arse.
    HDR...load of arse.

The really transformative change will come to mainstream in 15 years at a conservative estimate. A change that will signal the death of Cinemas for better or worse and will destroy the macro display industry (TV, Monitor and Projector industry).

VR/AR combo devices in the sunglasses formfactor is what I am talking about. Every Projector, TV, Monitor, tablet and phone display gone to be replaced by any sized screen or multiple screens that you want, pinned wherever you want in your home. Think of the space, the energy running costs, and resources no longer consumed in every home and business and office on the planet.

Watch the movie with family in the on the augmented reality 150" screen you pinned to your livingroom wall. Watch the highlights of the big game in AR Stadium Gods Eye view holographic AR mode on your coffee table. Maybe your brothers and sisters have settled in the 4 corners of the world and you organise a movie night to watch the Dark Knight Trilogy like you did as kids. You switch the glasses to VR mode and now you are all sat beside each other in a Bat Cave Themed iMax Virtual Cinema with 'real' bats flying about overhead. Everyones avatars dressed in superhero costumes. Maybe you and your mates book the Pay Per View MMA title fight of Conor McGreggors Son. Select VR mode and load it up. You are now sat ringside in the best seat in the house, which before could only be sold once for 20 grand to some celebrity whereas now the rights holder can now sell that prime ringside seat 20 million times over for €20 a pop.

Theres a reason Facebook spent 3 billion to buy Oculus and is investing billions in R&D and content funding.....and it wasn't because Mark Zuckerberg loved VR Games (which are incredible but thats not the point). Every earnings call, Zuckerberg reminds shareholders that Facebooks investment in VR and AR are long term plays and won't see a return for 10 years or more. Zuckerberg knows that Facebook needs to diversify and he understands that VR/AR is going to be the next evolution in computing and how we interact and view our media, is going to create whole new industries and destroy some old ones. He wanted in on the ground floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I don’t know what TV’s we’ll watch WW3 on, but the survivors will be watching WW4 on Packard Bells 9” Black & Whites

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

If razors and shaving foam are anything to go by, the lexicon of superlatives is pretty much inexhaustible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Holodecks.
    And after that, the next invention will be "self cleaning holodecks" :P
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What's driving this ever increasing 'need' of increasing resolution, it's hardly marketing, is it?
    If by marketing, you mean the ability to say that you have a TV with a higher res, faster response time, and a better black, then maybe, yes.
    AMKC wrote: »
    Its a 32'' TV. Am planning on upgrading to a 46 or 50'' around that size sometime. Missed out on a great deal in Lidl not so long ago. They had 43'' TVs for 250 euro.
    If you get a 50" TV, you'll see a marked difference between 720p and 1080p. On a 32" TV, you may not, depending on the quality of the TV. If it's a cheap one, you won't.

Heck, 480p will do you just fine on a 32" TV.
    npresto wrote: »
    Regarding 4K TV's; a lot of people can now afford 40" flat TV's.
    10/15 years ago; people would only have been able to afford 32" boxy/CRT TV's.
    At the current rate, I'd say we'll be seeing 60" drop to around €500 mark in 3-5 years, and 4K won't be cutting it anymore, so we'll go onto 8k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Calibos wrote: »
    4K is the most anyone really needs at home even when talking about Home-Cinema Projectors projecting 130" images. Sure half the Digital projectors in Cinema are 2K nevermind 4K.

8K...load of arse.
    HDR...load of arse.

The really transformative change will come to mainstream in 15 years at a conservative estimate. A change that will signal the death of Cinemas for better or worse and will destroy the macro display industry (TV, Monitor and Projector industry).

VR/AR combo devices in the sunglasses formfactor is what I am talking about. Every Projector, TV, Monitor, tablet and phone display gone to be replaced by any sized screen or multiple screens that you want, pinned wherever you want in your home. Think of the space, the energy running costs, and resources no longer consumed in every home and business and office on the planet.

Watch the movie with family in the on the augmented reality 150" screen you pinned to your livingroom wall. Watch the highlights of the big game in AR Stadium Gods Eye view holographic AR mode on your coffee table. Maybe your brothers and sisters have settled in the 4 corners of the world and you organise a movie night to watch the Dark Knight Trilogy like you did as kids. You switch the glasses to VR mode and now you are all sat beside each other in a Bat Cave Themed iMax Virtual Cinema with 'real' bats flying about overhead. Everyones avatars dressed in superhero costumes. Maybe you and your mates book the Pay Per View MMA title fight of Conor McGreggors Son. Select VR mode and load it up. You are now sat ringside in the best seat in the house, which before could only be sold once for 20 grand to some celebrity whereas now the rights holder can now sell that prime ringside seat 20 million times over for €20 a pop.

Theres a reason Facebook spent 3 billion to buy Oculus and is investing billions in R&D and content funding.....and it wasn't because Mark Zuckerberg loved VR Games (which are incredible but thats not the point). Every earnings call, Zuckerberg reminds shareholders that Facebooks investment in VR and AR are long term plays and won't see a return for 10 years or more. Zuckerberg knows that Facebook needs to diversify and he understands that VR/AR is going to be the next evolution in computing and how we interact and view our media, is going to create whole new industries and destroy some old ones. He wanted in on the ground floor.

HDR is absolutely not a load of arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

rolltv_104x56.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Well considering how overrated UHD is, the next step is to trick more costumers into upgrading to a newer standard that people don't need which will look indiscernible from the previous standard. Bloody bog standard tv isn't even doing proper HD yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

the_syco wrote: »
    Regarding 4K TV's; a lot of people can now afford 40" flat TV's.
    10/15 years ago; people would only have been able to afford 32" boxy/CRT TV's.
    At the current rate, I'd say we'll be seeing 60" drop to around €500 mark in 3-5 years, and 4K won't be cutting it anymore, so we'll go onto 8k.

I could happily afford a 60" TV - I simply don't want one and many people would feel the same. Not everyone wants the telly dominating the room, even if I do live on a coucil estate :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Haven’t seem it posted so far, the next big thing is HDR. There’a already a bunch of 10bit content available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I could happily afford a 60" TV - I simply don't want one and many people would feel the same. Not everyone wants the telly dominating the room, even if I do live on a coucil estate :pac:
    I'd wait a few years before getting a 60" TV; getting the cheapest of the latest leads to a product that things may have been skimped on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Maybe not soon, but I think we will have hologram TV some day. I think it wont look like a tv, but more like a coffee table. You can sit around it (or walk around it) and see a scene from any angle. Think of the " chess" scene in Star Wars. It would be ideal for any field sport. Imagine being able to see sport close up and from any angle, including zoom, replay, freeze frame, rotate scene, etc. Soaps would be good too as they all seem to have set pieces inside a limited number of sets.

Next step ..... Beam the show straight into the brain!

Already have it on phones so why not
    https://www.cnet.com/news/reds-3d-holographic-hydrogen-one-phone-powered-by-leia/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Noveight wrote: »
    Are there benefits of a curved screen TV? Or just the "we did it to prove we could" type of technology?
    There is a marginal benefit if you are sat at the focal point.

For anyone sat anywhere else it's worse than flat screen because of the distortions.

Advertisement