Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I go about changing up my workout?

Options
  • 29-08-2018 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, just a quick question regarding how to keep my body from becoming used to my workout. I have 2 workouts but require a third to cycle through. My current two workouts are alternated monthly and while I have access to a gym, I don't get near often to avail of the gym instructors and my workouts are designed in such a way that I can do them at home if necessary with my dumbbells and suspension trainer with fat loss goals in mind.

Workout 1:

Resistance Band Stretching

A1. Goblet Squat
    A2. Single Arm Row
    A3. Dumbbell Step Up
    A4. Burpees 30 secs

Complete 3 rounds

B1. Alternating Dumbbell Chest Press
    B2. RDL Deadlift
    B3. TRX Face Pull
    B4. TRX High Knees

Complete 3 rounds.

Workout 2:

7 min incline walk and dynamic stretching with 4 lengths (about 8-10 steps) x 4 lunges (2 forward, 2 back variation)

A1. 10 Dumbbell Squat/10 Front Squat
    A2. 10 Chest Press/10 Dumbbell Flys
    A3. 15 Bent Over Rows/10 TRX reverse flys
    A4. 30 crunches/30 seconds flutter kicks

Complete 4 rounds of each superset before moving on.

The problem is that I don't understand this sort of stuff very well, whats good for progression and to avoid regression, avoiding injury etc and changing up my workout to keep my body guessing and avoid mental boredom.

Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Elemonator wrote: »
    Hi folks, just a quick question regarding how to keep my body from becoming used to my workout.
    Realistically that doesn't happen. Workouts get easier overtime as you get stronger and more efficient and a movement. Not because your body remembers or knows what's coming. When it gets easier due to strength and efficiency, you just need to up the intensity or load.

There are valid reason to change a workout. Training cycles, shift of focus, etc. But not randomly to "shock the body" imo.

If you are happy with your workout, then keep it. However, if it's all bodyweight based, or using the same bands you may not be increasing resistance as necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Mellor wrote: »
    Realistically that doesn't happen. Workouts get easier overtime as you get stronger and more efficient and a movement. Not because your body remembers or knows what's coming. When it gets easier due to strength and efficiency, you just need to up the intensity or load.

There are valid reason to change a workout. Training cycles, shift of focus, etc. But not randomly to "shock the body" imo.

If you are happy with your workout, then keep it. However, if it's all bodyweight based, or using the same bands you may not be increasing resistance as necessary

Interesting. I have been reading a lot of conflicting information, and I had suspected a lot of it was "bro science". Thanks for the help!

Advertisement