Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movies we're supposed to say are good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Ardent wrote: »
    ......the vile Meryl Streep....

Wtf? She's possibly the greatest actress of all time.
    She’s an insufferable, hypocritical Hollywood scumbag.

I accept that she can act (although the likes of Frances McDormand, Cate Blanchett or Julianne Moore can act her off the screen in my opinion). As I said her presence in a film takes its quality down a few notches for me. Thankfully she’s only ever been in a small number of actual good films.

And she was fifth billed in The Deer Hunter. I certainly wouldn’t call it “her” film.

Candie wrote: »
    In a classic case of judging a book movie by it's cover, I avoided watching that because the promo poster looked rather grim. I'm avoiding grim lately, which means there's few movies I can bring myself to watch.

Can't remember the last comedy I really loved.

I am an absolute sucker for grim! I can't remember the last time I loved a comedy either. The Hangover was kind of funny but usually everyone else is laughing and I'm sitting there feeling confused :p

Manchester has uplifting moments. I think you should watch it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Any action movie ever starring a female playing the lead role.

Now that's a bit sexist. Aliens, Kill Bill, Hunger games and Wonder woman are all brilliant films

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

dazed and confused

tops my list. it's soooo boring! bizarre the acclaim it's held in

GTFO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Greyfox wrote: »
    Now that's a bit sexist. Aliens, Kill Bill, Hunger games and Wonder woman are all brilliant films

ya got the first 2 right anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Also The Notebook. I saw that "twist" within 5 mins ! Was that supposed to be a revelation ? Awful nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Wonder Woman seems great in comparison because BvS was so appalling.

It suffers from similar problems you see in some of the Marvel films, particularly in that it has a big bland action finale that serves no benefit to the film.

It was doing pretty well up until that, although I certainly don't think you could put it in the same league as Aliens or Kill Bill.

I'd agree that your the point you're replying to is bollocks though. Arguably Charlize Theron is a co-lead in the excellent Fury Road, and Atomic Blonde was mostly excellent (although the ending undermined it a bit). I seem to remember thinking Hannah was quite good, with Saoirse Ronan, although it seems more like a child-lead than a female lead, per se.

There's far fewer of them, but I certainly don't think female-led action films have a poorer strike rate than ones led by men. Most of them are terrible, but most are watchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Godfather II - some good bits but the impenetrable plot spoiled it.

Face-Off - Like the Itchy and Scratchy show with humans.

humberklog wrote: »
    The Blues Brothers. A comedy for people who don't like comedy.

Too much car chase, not enough music.

I've never been able to sit through more than ten minutes of any Star Wars/Star Trek/Lord Of The Rings type movie.

Love sci/fi and some fantasy reads, find them very boring genres in movies. Alien/s excepted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

IT with the vicious clown, created by Stephen King

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

storker wrote: »
    Godfather II - some good bits but the impenetrable plot spoiled it.

Face-Off - Like the Itchy and Scratchy show with humans.

I don't know anyone who would expect other people to say Face-Off is good. Its a ridiculous film, but I actually like it as its pure pantomime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

RayCun wrote: »
    How many named Vietnamese characters are there?
    How many lines do they get?
    Is there a long scene set at a Vietnamese wedding?

Same with Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, Casualties of War, Born on the Fourth of July... the list goes on and on.

They are movies about how awful the Vietnam war was for Americans.
    60,000 US soldiers died in Vietnam.
    Over a million Vietnamese people died.

Naturally, movies made by Americans are more concerned with American deaths but still - the Vietnamese people were absolutely pulverized by the war, but they are usually reduced to background figures in an American tragedy.
    The Vietnam War (a film by Ken Burns) is a multi part documentary, about 18 hours in total, that gives context and shows the war from the North and South Vietnamese points of view as well as the American. I was struck by how little I actually knew about the war while watching it.

I did see a picture of a foetus or dead baby (not sure which) affected by agent orange on Wikipedia years ago and am still pretty distressed by the recollection. Absolutely horrific, don’t look it up.

Gbear wrote: »
    It was doing pretty well up until that, although I certainly don't think you could put it in the same league as Aliens or Kill Bill.

I'd agree that your the point you're replying to is bollocks though. Arguably Charlize Theron is a co-lead in the excellent Fury Road, and Atomic Blonde was mostly excellent (although the ending undermined it a bit). I seem to remember thinking Hannah was quite good, with Saoirse Ronan, although it seems more like a child-lead than a female lead, per se.

There's far fewer of them, but I certainly don't think female-led action films have a poorer strike rate than ones led by men. Most of them are terrible, but most are watchable.

I really enjoyed it but yeah Aliens and Kill Bill are much better. Theron is superb in the average atomic blond and her character from man max, Furiosa is one of the greatest female characters ever. Sarah Conor is great in T2 but she's not the lead. Columbiana in another great action film with a female lead. Sadly Hollywood doesn't make enough proper action films with female leads as Hollywood prefers to just have there female characters as sexy bimbos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

A lot of Steven Spielberg movies for me. Two examples:

Saving Private Ryan - terrible plot and features every cliched war movie character imaginable. I guess it's highly rated because the opening scene (with the fighting, not the driving across fields) is great.

Amistad - supposed to be a serious movie about slavery, but it it's hard to take seriously when it's more like "too bad these filthy Europeans sell us slaves, otherwise we'd never buy any - not here in the good old Amerikay".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Ill give you aliens a great film well made and sigonory weaver made it her own

kill bill was purely Quentin Tarantino having a feminist masturbate
    hunger games is made acted and rates as a film for teenage girls
    though wonderwoman was actually a very good film and made so but the female lead .

so while its true that the vast majority of action films with female leads are trashy feminist exploitation there are some exceptions which are in the top tier of movies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Most American films about the Vietnam War are about the suffering of their troops with the Vietnamese as props.

The Ken Burns documentary, as mentioned above, does have a lot of Vietnamese voices in it, which is refreshing.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    kill bill was purely Quentin Tarantino having a feminist masturbate

So much more, all the fight scenes are amazing, proper ultra violent knocking the crap out of each other, none of that family friendly sh*te. Swordfighting doesn't get any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Annihilation. Dafuq did I just watch?!

Most American films about the Vietnam War are about the suffering of their troops with the Vietnamese as props.

There isn't necessarily anything wrong with that, though. Movies are movies, not documentaries. If the focus is to be on the experiences of the soldier son one side, then that's up to the filmmakers. If you listen to interviews with real-life combatants, those are pretty one-sided too.

Mel Gibson's "We were Soldiers", however, does show to some degree to "enemy's" point of view, but I think Gibson here was trying to show the story of the battle as well as the experience of the battle.
    The Ken Burns documentary, as mentioned above, does have a lot of Vietnamese voices in it, which is refreshing.

It's a very well-made documentary, and it is indeed all the better for those Vietnamese voices - from both sides. I thought the final episode was particularly powerful.

• Advertisement

Its a ridiculous film, but I actually like it as its pure pantomime

My wife and I were informed by a relative that we just had to see it. "if you only see one film this year..." etc. Afterwards we were both equally baffled as to what the fuss was about. I couldn't wait for it to end. I thought the premise was an interesting one, and someone like Alfred Hitchcock could have made a really good film out of it, but unfortunately it was John Woo who got his hands on it. It's mostly because of this effort of his that I have never watched Windtalkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

There isn't necessarily anything wrong with that, though. Movies are movies, not documentaries. If the focus is to be on the experiences of the soldier son one side, then that's up to the filmmakers. If you listen to interviews with real-life combatants, those are pretty one-sided too.

I just think it reflects the way a lot of Americans think about the war. They couldn't give a ****e about the Vietnamese who suffered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

She’s still not a very subtle actor. Daniel day Lewis is the same. Lots of seeing the sausage factory rather than enjoying the sausage.

It might be a very girly thing to say, but she was great at playing a hard nosed bitch in The Devil Wears Prada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

'The God Father' - what the actual fcuk is all the fuss over

Movies Like that mentioned are classics of their time

this kind of movie was the catalyst in the 70ies

imagine going to see something that actually challenged you in the cinema right now? without "the rock" jumping through some sort of window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Let The Right One In I tried to persevere - I'll usually watch a movie to the finish even if I don't like it - had to turn it off half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

You guys really know how to have a good time. Films are supposed to be enjoyable.
    18 hours of watching suffering - ‘refreshing’.
    Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

I just think it reflects the way a lot of Americans think about the war. They couldn't give a ****e about the Vietnamese who suffered.

How on earth do you know that. Have you asked them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Pi
    The avengers
    Citizen Kane
    Firblog wrote: »
    Blade Runner.
    Notting Hill
    eraserhead

Any chance of elaborating a bit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Anchorman, mildly amusing at best.

Juno, liked it first time seeing it but it doesn't stand up to repeat viewings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

The film I found most underwhelming and disappointing recently was Baby Driver. It was all style and no substance. The storyline was awful and the love story so cringey, particularly the end.

It got such rave reviews I really was expecting to love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Unchopped

Dirty dancing was one of the most pointless films i was ever forced to sit thru.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

Bar far the most overrated actor and film combined is Billy Murray in Lost in Translation

I've never left a film in the cinema ever, even the worst tripe I'd sit through it to the end, but that film that was so bad I left before the end. And having seen the end of it on TV a few years later, I'm glad I did. The most overrated film ever produced bar none. Some smarmy old wrinkly american man trying to get off with some young newly married american girl, as if that's ever going to happen in the real world, while they both poke fun at Japanese culture in the most ignorant american way possible.

Utter dross we are supposed to all fawn over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Unchopped wrote: »
    Dirty dancing was one of the most pointless films i was ever forced to sit thru.
    Feck Baby and her corner

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

Accounts by veterans of other nationalities tend to be similar. It's not a uniquely American phenomenon by any means. There are also plenty of war moves made in other counties that don't put much focus on the experience of the "other side".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Inception
    Pan's Labyrinth
    Inside Out

- Looking through imdb top 250.

Pan’s Labyrinth is one of the most amazing, breathtaking films I have ever saw.

A masterpiece of film making, storytelling and a truly sadistic, believable bad guy.

I have watched it countless times, as well as anytime it’s on tv and still Enjoy it every time.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Accounts by veterans of other nationalities tend to be similar. It's not a uniquely American phenomenon by any means. There are also plenty of war moves made in other counties that don't put much focus on the experience of the "other side".
    The best war film ever made is The Battle of Algiers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

If you hate movies this is the thread for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I must have terrible taste in movies because a lot of those mentioned here are among my favorites! How anyone could say classics like Schindler’s List, Shawshank Redemption, Forest Gump, Saving Private Ryan and Lord of the Rings are bad is beyond me.

The one I hated when everyone was mooning over it was Atonement - I thought it was boring and I really disliked Kiera Knightly’s character. Too selfish and self righteous for my liking.

If you hate movies this is the thread for you!

No, if really love them, but won't be led into pretending a crap film is good, this is the thread for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

The Thin Red Line.
    The worst self indulgent artistic exploration of the traumatic impact of blah blah blah.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    What the actual ****?????

Scarface
    Ah here! No one could survive that long.

La La Land
    Yes. Yes it is.

Blair Witch Project
    This gets scary at some point????

The Hobbit trilogy
    They stretched this into how many movies?

Bridget Jones Diary 2
    Is this the sweepings from the cutting room of the first one?

A Clockwork Orange.
    This wasn't banned for violence. This was banned because audiences shouldn't be deprived of two hours of their lives

Avengers Infinity War
    Is there a story here?

Interstellar.
    At least these 3D glasses hide the fact I'm asleep.

Life is beautiful
    I have to go to the toilet. I may be some time.

Robin Hood
    Landing Craft. They have actual ****ing WW2 landing craft. Oh look a calvary charge with Shetland ponies.

Titanic
    Wait! This is so long it has an actual intermission?

The wind that shakes the barley
    Oh Jesus did anyone in this actually go to acting school?

Battleship
    Was Liam Neeson drunk when he signed up to this?

Saw (all of them)
    This is just ****ing pointless.

Sex and the City 2
    You'll be making up to me for this for a long long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Godfather
    Witnail and I
    The big labowski
    Blade runner
    Inception
    One flew over cookoos nest
    Taxi driver
    Apocalypse now
    Platoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Pulp Fiction and black panther are two I can think of right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i could never understand the popularity of that movie...yes i know the girls swooned over Patrick Swayze, but still it was pretty lame overall

and also it was a movie based in the 50's with an 80's soundtrack, bit daft

fryup wrote: »
    i could never understand the popularity of that movie...yes i know the girls swooned over Patrick Swayze, but still it was pretty lame overall

and also it was a movie based in the 50's with an 80's soundtrack, bit daft

Girls liked it coz of swayze, boys liked it coz girls liked boys that liked it. The lameness of it.

I would like to bravely add any meryl streep movie. She makes me want to smash the tv.

I would like to bravely add any meryl streep movie. She makes me want to smash the tv.

she is extremely over rated for some reason, seems to be more about politics than acting ability these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

she is extremely over rated for some reason, seems to be more about politics than acting ability these days

Yes, Meryl Streep, who won her first acting award in 1976, has won three Oscars and been nominated for 18 more, and won two BAFTAs and been nominated for 13 more, and has been nominated for literally hundreds more awards, because it is all about politics these days.

Yes, Meryl Streep, who won her first acting award in 1976, has won three Oscars and been nominated for 18 more, and won two BAFTAs and been nominated for 13 more, and has been nominated for literally hundreds more awards, because it is all about politics these days.

exactly - as I said extremely over rated.

These days, it does seem to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The middle part of Wonder Woman when she is in London and the WW1 front are very good. The opening on her home is a bit too much like a big budget version of Xena for my tastes and the ending is just the director firing a sh*t tonne of CGI at the screen. Pretty weak villain too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement