Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movies we're supposed to say are good

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Wonder Woman is **** alright. Don't even know why it's highly rated. Some sweet spot that appeals to people with affectations of feminism and people who like looking at Gal Gadot?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

people who like looking at Gal Gadot?
    *raises hand* :D I didn't think it too bad TBH. It is what it is. A comic book Hollywood "blockbuster" with a huge budget. I didn't expect Hamlet, but that's not what it's about. I found it better than most of the genre.

Meryl Streep? She can be a truly fine actress, but outside of a few roles and especially over the last few years, it's too much about chewing the scenery, being Meryl Streep. With an accent. Though the Irish accent confounded even her. To be fair vanishingly few non natives nail the Irish accent. Years back I had a convo with a voice coach and they told me that of all the English speaking accents the Irish one was by far the hardest to get to the point of fooling the locals. Apparently "American" being the easiest. QV Hugh Laurie in the House TV series. Now I dunno about you, but to me at least(and others have noted it too) it sounds like a near pantomime "American" accent, yet Americans themselves didn't notice it and indeed his accent was lauded for authenticity.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Fury Road is awful awful ****e. I’ve yet to meet a bloke who likes it. It just seems geared to the feminists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Blazer wrote: »
    Fury Road is awful awful ****e. I’ve yet to meet a bloke who likes it. It just seems geared to the feminists
    Great film. Has to be seen In a good cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Really cant understand how a tale of enslaved, broodmare women who manage to escape their captors is pandering to "de feminists." They also still depend largely on a male figure (who is the main protagonist) for their freedom in the film.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Really cant understand how a tale of enslaved, broodmare women who manage to escape their captors is pandering to "de feminists." They also still depend largely on a male figure (who is the main protagonist) for their freedom in the film.
    Oh it's not. I found it funny that so many online "feminist" claimed it was such a flic and online "anti feminist" claimed the same.

I still don't rate it as a film. Like I said earlier it looks like a collection of very well done stunt pieces done by second unit, in dire need of a first unit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

you mean the male antagonist who barely speaks in the whole film. Make no mistake..this isn't a mad max film..its a Furiosa film..and its awful ****e.
    Drive down the road, fight off baddies, drive back up the road fight more baddies...no complicated story or deep characters in this film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Haven't read the thread so maybe its been mentioned previously but for me it's The Revenant, I'd heard so many good things about the film and I like De Caprio as an actor so it was very disappointing that it was a load of boring sh1te.

you mean the male antagonist who barely speaks in the whole film. Make no mistake..this isn't a mad max film..its a Furiosa film..and its awful ****e.
    Drive down the road, fight off baddies, drive back up the road fight more baddies...no complicated story or deep characters in this film.

You should probably familiarise yourself with the lore of Mad Max. In the second installment of the franchise "Mel Gibson only had sixteen lines of dialogue in the entire film, and two of them were: "I only came for the gasoline." The character of Max was always intentionally monosylibic in the vein of The Man With No Name of The Dollars Trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

*checks underwear* definitely a bloke and i liked it. So that is one at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Don't know about supposed to saying are good but Star Wars shyte (or the recent efforts by that I mean the past 20 yrs)

The originals were great for their time but even then they got steadily worse.....remember as a little kid seeing the first one then seeing a trailer for Close Encounters when it ended, they done't make em like that anymore

Im sure its already been mentioned but I am truly baffled by the appeal of Dunkirk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

murpho999 wrote: »
    Any Will Ferrell film with the exception of Elf.
    I *HATE* the real life scenes with him in the Lego Movie.

I get close to Unikitty breakdown levels of *HATE* :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

The Departed which got best director which was a complete clone on the Asian version down to the story boards. The asian very is much better. Infernal affairs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Putinbot wrote: »
    Star wars, All of them. Finally watched them about a year ago and there is about 22 hours of my life I'll never get back.
    Did you watch them in Machete Order ?
    van_beano wrote: »
    Strictly Ballroom and Green Card
    The Pan-Pacific Grand Prix Dancing Championship is serious business.
    Anything (that I've watched) by Woody Allen.
    Try Sleeper.
    thebull85 wrote: »
    Git walken dancing around the pool table made that movie for me.. Legend.
    I love him in Fatboy Slim's Weapon Of Choice video. James Cagney was another dancing gangster.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    Anything directed by Ingmar Bergman. Tortuously dull.
    The Seventh Seal.

Based on a play also written by Bergman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

The Artist, couldn't watch it.
    12 Years a Slave, couldn't look at it.
    LOTR. 12 hour snore fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

The Usual Suspects is a good mention, never quite got the 'cool'.....

In the name of the Father, another from around that time...awful film

have never sat through any of the Lotr or Bourne films and never felt the need to

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

I see Meryl Streep heralded in here but I cant move past her actions(supporting Polanski) so automatically i turn off whatever she’s in.Same goes for woody Allen. I know Hollywood is a cesspit and if we struck off anyone with some dodgy actions we’d have very few actors left.I can’t seperate the character from the person.So I miss out on a lot of great films but I won’t put money or time towards people who are like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Anything (that I've watched) by Woody Allen.

Watch Vicky Christina Barcelona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Bar far the most overrated actor and film combined is Billy Murray in Lost in Translation

Some smarmy old wrinkly american man trying to get off with some young newly married american girl, as if that's ever going to happen in the real world.

That's not what's happening and not what the film is about though.

Any chance of elaborating a bit?

The avengers is a pile of ****e. I wish I could enjoy it for what it is but I can't switch my brain off. There is zero tension because you know the nobody is gonna die, the good guys will save the day at the last second like usual. Iron man is 100% invincible. They all are in fact. People have weird powers whenever it suits. There are no rules to the universe. It attempts to be super serious and also a comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Watch Vicky Christina Barcelona.

Haven't seen that, but Purple Rose of Cairo is an excellent Woody Alllen film. His first film, Take the Money and Run is a good laugh too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

You guys really know how to have a good time. Films are supposed to be enjoyable.
    18 hours of watching suffering - ‘refreshing’.
    Wow.

Obviously films are supposed to be enjoyable but sometimes political and sociological considerations impact on our enjoyment of them. If you don't care about these things, well that's fine, but some people do.

It's not watching suffering that was refreshing by the way, it was the more even-handed portrayal
    How on earth do you know that. Have you asked them?

Well, if I did, I suspect most Americans would deny feeling that way. But their consumption of media suggests they would not be entirely honest.

I loved it. I can see why people disliked it. It gripped me from start to finish. Roller-coaster ride. I don't really get the feminist angle. Women are farmed and shown as a commodity at times.

The Seventh Seal.

Based on a play also written by Bergman.

Watched this in school. Fell alseep at the start. Woke up just at the end. Thuroughly enjoyed the experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

sonofenoch wrote: »
    The Usual Suspects is a good mention, never quite got the 'cool'.....
    Usual suspects is a brilliant film as it contains the greatest plot twist in the history of the entertainment industry. Watching the film a second time is very enjoyable as it's only when you see it the 2nd time you see the clever techniques that were used to throw you off.

Also if you didn't enjoy the amazing action scenes in m max fury road then you might need to check and see if you have a pulse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Greyfox wrote: »
    Usual suspects is a brilliant film as it contains the greatest plot twist in the history of the entertainment industry. Watching the film a second time is very enjoyable as it's only when you see it the 2nd time you see the clever techniques that were used to throw you off.

Also if you didn't enjoy the amazing action scenes in m max fury road then you might need to check and see if you have a pulse.

There’s nothing that clever about the usual suspects. A guy tells a story. We see flashbacks about his version. He lied.

That’s it.

There’s nothing that clever about the usual suspects. A guy tells a story. We see flashbacks about his version. He lied.

That’s it.

That’s like saying Mozart’s number 41 symphony is just a piece of music.
    Whatever I think of Fury road and I don’t, the Usual Suspects is a fantastic film with a great twist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Aren't David Lynch movies the epitome of this topic?
    Surreal, nonsensical, lyrical movies that you are meant to say are 'brilliant'?

The Simpsons lampooned this brilliantly (pardon the pun) when Homer is watching 'Twin Peaks' on TV.

*Man dances with a standing horse under the moonlight and under a set of traffic lights set to STOP in the middle of the forest*

“That’s damn fine coffee you’ve got here in Twin Peaks. And damn good cherry pie.”

Homer - “Brilliant! . . . I have absolutely no idea what’s going on.”

twinpeaks.png?w=655&h=247

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Major Lovechild

A Few Good Men - pure ****e!

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

If you don't care about these things, well that's fine, but some people do.

Some people have the ability to leave their politics/beliefs/likes/dislikes to one side when in "being entertained" mode. To make an assumption about someones attitudes in general based on their ability to appreciate a particular movie is a big (il)logical leap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

A Few Good Men - pure ****e!

I've read valid criticism of the way the plot unfolds towards the end and I wouldn't disagree, but I do find it very watchable, particularly with Nicholson doing some marvelous scenery-chewing and Demi Moore in that uniform. The only time I've ever found her attractive...

Ditto The Verdict, despite the plot holes.

By the way and slightly OT, that series on Netflix about the OJ Simpson trial is excellent.

Chris Darden: See, now Jim Brown cared about black people. He was an activist. He spoke up. Once O.J. made his money, he split and never came back. He became white.
    Darden's Neighbour: Well, he's got the cops chasing him. He's black now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Obviously films are supposed to be enjoyable but sometimes political and sociological considerations impact on our enjoyment of them. If you don't care about these things, well that's fine, but some people do.
    It's not watching suffering that was refreshing by the way, it was the more even-handed portrayal
    Well, if I did, I suspect most Americans would deny feeling that way. But their consumption of media suggests they would not be entirely honest.

I wonder if anyone has done a study to determine at what age do we stop blaming America for everything bad that has ever happened anywhere.

There are over 300 million people in the USA. They differ as much as we do.

I would infinitely prefer to be under their political, cultural and economic influence than yer man in the Kremlin or the lads of Tianamnen Square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I wonder if anyone has done a study to determine at what age do we stop blaming America for everything bad that has ever happened anywhere.

that would be an important point if the discussion was about the Franco-Prussian war, or the Italian invasion of Abyssinia.

But the Vietnam war?

RayCun wrote: »
    that would be an important point if the discussion was about the Franco-Prussian war, or the Italian invasion of Abyssinia.

But the Vietnam war?

Give it a break - the truth is always more complicated.

The Vietnamese were slaughtering each other before and after the US got involved.

From Wikipedia:

R. J. Rummel estimated that PAVN/VC forces killed around 164,000 civilians in democide between 1954 and 1975 in South Vietnam, from a range of between 106,000 and 227,000, plus another 50,000 killed in North Vietnam.[

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The Vietnamese were slaughtering each other before and after the US got involved.

From Wikipedia:

R. J. Rummel estimated that PAVN/VC forces killed around 164,000 civilians in democide between 1954 and 1975 in South Vietnam, from a range of between 106,000 and 227,000, plus another 50,000 killed in North Vietnam.[

Ah, shure that makes America's meddling alright then…

Ah, shure that makes America's meddling alright then…

No - it just makes it more complicated, as I said. - you know, like real life.

and then the US got involved, and killed hundreds of thousands more. But if you bring that up it is "blaming the US for everything"?

Do you think we should have a discussion about US movies about the Vietnam war, and not mention that the US was involved in the Vietnam war, or that US forces killed a lot of people?

You know, a refusal to discuss political context is itself a political decision.

• Advertisement

Why are many Irish people so smug and morally superior? Do you think our politicians would never get us involved in horrible wars if Ireland had a population of 300 million and a huge military?
    Are we so innocent?
    Look what a small bunch of "Irish Republicans" could manage over 30 years. Kneecappings, torture, murder of children, pub bombings....

There are good and bad people everywhere.

Why are many Irish people so smug and morally superior? Do you think our politicians would never get us involved in horrible wars if Ireland had a population of 300 million and a huge military?
    Are we so innocent?
    Look what a small bunch of "Irish Republicans" could manage over 30 years. Kneecappings, torture, murder of children, pub bombings....

So, being critical of another country's foreign policy is being smug and somehow makes us incapable of seeing the problems that have bedevilled our own country?

C'mon...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

RayCun wrote: »
    Yes, Meryl Streep, who won her first acting award in 1976, has won three Oscars and been nominated for 18 more, and won two BAFTAs and been nominated for 13 more, and has been nominated for literally hundreds more awards, because it is all about politics these days.

They hate her because she's not Scarlett Johansson, how dare an older woman have self confidence.

They hate her because she's not Scarlett Johansson, how dare an older woman have self confidence.

That's not it at all. To the right, she's become a figurehead for the hypocrisy of Hollywood probably because she's so highly fêted as an actress and her liberal outpourings at awards.

She might talk guff and she might be a hypocrite but the woman can definitely act.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

That's not it at all. To the right, she's become a figurehead for the hypocrisy of Hollywood probably because she's so highly fêted as an actress and her liberal outpourings at awards.

She might talk guff and she might be a hypocrite but the woman can definitely act.

A Hollywood movie star espousing left wing ideals?
    I'm shocked I tell you, shocked! :D

Do you think our politicians would never get us involved in horrible wars if Ireland had a population of 300 million and a huge military?

So you agree that this would be a bad thing if Ireland did it, but we can't say it was a bad thing when the US did it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Birdman, Whiplash & The Departed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Eh no. I'd have thought people's disdain for Streep would be obvious.

She's a hypocrite who openly supports convicted child rapist Roman Polanski (probably because he's such an amazing artist dahling) and happily went along with her friendship with Weinstein right up to his demise.

Right enough, she hoovers up nominations and awards from her Hollywood peers but Hollywood is a putrid cesspool full of damaged, backstabbing, oddball, wierdos who'd sell their granny for fame and fortune. I think the Oscars, in particular, are pathetic. And boy, does she ever pick Oscar-bait films to appear in.

On that note, her output is largely drivel. Crap films, in my opinion, with a small number that are watchable - but certainly not ones in which she has top billing. And isn't that the topic at hand in this thread? Films we seem to be expected to like but which are actually sh!te? Well I personally think most Meryl Streep films fall into that category.

....oh and Scarlett Johansson is a dose too. :)

From Wikipedia:

And then millions more when the US carpet bombed the place. Is that the law now, the US has a right to kill more people than before if anybody has previously been killed.

Are we so innocent?

Plenty of large countries do not in fact engage in wars. Brazil has a population of 200M. Nor is the US that large with respect to the over all population of the world. It chooses to “police” the planet.

And do run off to primary school with your collective guilt about the IRA. We didn’t vote Sinn Fein during the troubles. The US public by and large supports military interventions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement