Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movies we're supposed to say are good

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Meryl Streep chews the scenery. Particularly in the execrable The Hours. She was never subtle but she’s gotten worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

Every Marvel movie released since the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Meryl Streep chews the scenery. Particularly in the execrable The Hours. She was never subtle but she’s gotten worse.
    I think she is excellent usually....but there has a been a tendency lately to over act in literally everything....she made The Post almost unwatchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Infernum wrote: »
    Every Marvel movie released since the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies.
    Naw.

The first 2 tobey maguire films were excellent, but I dont think they are even considered part of the MCU?

I would say some of the MCU films are better, captain american winter soldier I thought was especially good. Iron man and thor ragnarok were also terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Annani

American Beauty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

gmisk wrote: »
    Naw.

The first 2 tobey maguire films were excellent, but I dont think they are even considered part of the MCU?

I would say some of the MCU films are better, captain american winter soldier I thought was especially good. Iron man and thor ragnarok were also terrific.

Spiderman 1 was great, Spiderman 2 was good if a little overlong but Spiderman was absolute crap.

This still boggles my mind. There was no CGI in this scene were Tobey Maguire catches everything on the tray. It took 156 takes for him to catch everything:

I really enjoyed Thor Ragnarok. I've liked the other Taika Waititi films that I've seen and I was hoping for something fun with his Thor film. I wasn't disappointed.

I enjoyed the Avengers Infinity War movie and the Guardians of the Galaxy movies as well. The rest of them are pretty forgettable fare. Black Panther was pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

so many great movies in this thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Sardine wrote: »
    Killing of a Sacred Deer was good. As was In Bruges. None of his A list big budget films were any good really!

other than Minority Report of course?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

gmisk wrote: »
    I think she is excellent usually....but there has a been a tendency lately to over act in literally everything....she made The Post almost unwatchable.

The Post was absolutely cringe, lets make historical events contemporary by shoehorning references to current cause célèbre gender politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭norabattie

This times 100000000000 :rolleyes:
    Annani wrote: »
    American Beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

La La Land. Dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Black Panther. Very boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

I'm sorry, but I also just cannot stand Meryl Streep on any level.

I've seen her in Deer Hunter , River Wild , Manchurian Candidate off the top of my head. I dunno what it is exactly , but I just don't see what it is about her that separates her from other female actresses ? The hype isn't there for me.
    Then again, we've had people admonish Al Pacino completely, so different strokes I guess.

For me, Edie Falco who played Carmela in The Sopranos, is probably the most impressive actress I've watched to date. Some really outstanding performances on that show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Spiderman 1 was great, Spiderman 2 was good if a little overlong but Spiderman was absolute crap.

This still boggles my mind. There was no CGI in this scene were Tobey Maguire catches everything on the tray. It took 156 takes for him to catch everything:

unfortunately number five

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrgfweXQcpY

rest of the vid is interesting too

mynamejeff wrote: »
    unfortunately number five

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrgfweXQcpY

rest of the vid is interesting too

Booooo, you've ruined it for me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The Graduate what the actual **** ??

The Graduate what the actual **** ??

Exactly, what the **** are you picking that for? That film is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Relikk wrote: »
    La La Land. Dreadful.

Any film set in Hollywood will get undeserved praise.

Any film where a beautiful star "suffers for their art", by transforming their physical appearance. Its almost a slamdunk best actor/actress as soon as project is announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Any film where a beautiful star "suffers for their art", by transforming their physical appearance. Its almost a slamdunk best actor/actress as soon as project is announced.

Well honestly if the actor goes above and beyond to nail a role they deserve the award.

Well honestly if the actor goes above and beyond to nail a role they deserve the award.

The problem is it becomes a trite contrivance for an automatic nomination regardlesa of quality of performance or film overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

Any action movie ever starring a female playing the lead role.
    Alien & Aliens??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oscar Bait :(
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OscarBait
    The female equivalent of the mental health angle is having an attractive actress play an ugly character. But Hollywood Homely isn’t good enough; you would have to drastically change your physical appearance to do it. Actresses who have won Oscars this way include Charlize Theron, who put on 30 pounds and thinned her hair and eyebrows for Monster; Nicole Kidman, who wore a number of prosthetics to play Virginia Woolf (a character with mental illness, to boot) in The Hours; and Anne Hathaway, who played a bald, emaciated, filthy, and apparently toothless Broken Bird in Les Misérables (2012).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

For me, Edie Falco who played Carmela in The Sopranos, is probably the most impressive actress I've watched to date. Some really outstanding performances on that show.

She was quite good, nothing special, Sopranos was brilliant and had a few characters better than her. Currently rewatching game of thrones and Lena Heady who plays Cersei is a better actress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Fox Hound wrote: »
    Alien & Aliens??

Could possibly throw the first two Terminator movies in there too. Obviously Arnie was the star but he's the baddie in the first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

For all the people that say every Woody Alan film is terrible I understand the feeling but I really doubt you watched " Take the Money and Run" or "Zelig". These are not as loved by the arty fans but actually show him do full comedy and he was a stand up comedian first and was very funny.

If you don't like Zelig you are dead inside.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    For all the people that say every Woody Alan film is terrible I understand the feeling but I really doubt you watched " Take the Money and Run" or "Zelig". These are not as loved by the arty fans but actually show him do full comedy and he was a stand up comedian first and was very funny.

If you don't like Zelig you are dead inside.

Yea but he is a dirty old man :)

Yea but he is a dirty old man :)

There is art, medicine,buildings, design etc... all created by many a beast it does not remove what they have done.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    There is art, medicine,buildings, design etc... all created by many a beast it does not remove what they have done.

Haha i know, i was ironically mirroring the vitriol for Streep on this thread,where the art is not seperated from the artist. Regardless of this I have never been a fan of his work.

Haha i know, i was ironically mirroring the vitriol for Streep on this thread,where the art is not seperated from the artist. Regardless of this I have never been a fan of his work.

Fair enough but those movies aren't really his style as people know it. His humour was originally pretty slap stick.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭CowGoesMoo100

Anything with The Rock in it....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

quickbeam wrote: »
    Ah yeah, that's where you went wrong. Dr. Strangelove is an absolutely fantastic film - one of my favourites of all time. But it's not a "hilarious comedy". It's not meant to be. It's much blacker, sardonic, tragic even, than that. Maybe watch without expecting The Hangover, or Anchorman (or whatever your choice of favourite comedy is), and you might take something different from it.

Now now, let's not get defensive about it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

effort doesn't mean better. I could do loads of work for a role and I'd still be crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Annani

Ah now. He’s great in Moana although in cartoon form!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Grayson wrote: »
    effort doesn't mean better. I could do loads of work for a role and I'd still be crap.

Well usually these actors are quite good at their job, Leonardo Dicaprio, Christian Bale etc.

Annani wrote: »
    Ah now. He’s great in Moana although in cartoon form!

He was great fun in Jumanji as well. Tbf, I don't think anyone particularly rates his movies as that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

The Usual Suspects
    Wise up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

spodoinkle wrote: »
    Wise up.

The Usual Suspects is bloody brilliant.

Not really in same category as the other classics in here people don't like but one that I always heard good things about. Finally watched it and it wasn't my cup of tea at all.

Ted.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Not really in same category as the other classics in here people don't like but one that I always heard good things about. Finally watched it and it wasn't my cup of tea at all.

Ted.

No one judge but I cried at the end of Ted.

Yes, yes I know!!!

• Advertisement

Yes, yes I know!!!

I'm not judging, I couldn't believe I had wasted my time watching it either. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Inception.

Goddamn I thought it was bloody awful.

Yes, yes I know!!!

That's ok, I cried at the end of Godzilla (1998). In my defence I was a kid, now I see it for the actual $hit it is and wonder what was wrong with me as a kid.....

jaxxx wrote: »
    Inception.

Goddamn I thought it was bloody awful.

Oh I wanted to love that so much - that and Shutter Island - couldn't get through either.

Also echoing the opinion regarding Moonlight.

One of the most over-hyped films I've watched in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I'm not judging, I couldn't believe I had wasted my time watching it either. :pac:

you are the identity thief from Friends, and I claim my $5 :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭CowGoesMoo100

He was great fun in Jumanji as well. Tbf, I don't think anyone particularly rates his movies as that good.
    Well he's arguably the highest paid actor in Hollywood. There must be a demand for him. Same way there must be a demand to see the 43rd incarnation of Fast and Furious otherwise they wouldn't be churning out that garbage ad nauseam.

Well he's arguably the highest paid actor in Hollywood. There must be a demand for him. Same way there must be a demand to see the 43rd incarnation of Fast and Furious otherwise they wouldn't be churning out that garbage ad nauseam.

Again, few people would call these films good. For most, they'd be a guilty pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Danonino. wrote: »
    Loads of Tom Cruise hate, I’m not a massive fan but recently seen American made and was expecting to hate it. It was very good. Really enjoyed it.
    Peatys wrote: »
    Really? Flicked past it a few times and couldn't see how they'd make a decent film out of it, but I'll give it a go, cheers.

Watched this the other night, both enjoyed it. Cheers :)

I think you misread the thread title

• Advertisement

If ever there was a day for hegemonic trauma overload its today. :)

Advertisement