Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movies we're supposed to say are good

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Not saying they're bad movies, they're visually spectacular, but I found them boring. Actually fell asleep in the cinema during two of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Not saying they're bad movies, they're visually spectacular, but I found them boring. Actually fell asleep in the cinema during two of them.

You shut your whore mouth.

racso1975 wrote: »
    The breakfast club.

Do people actually like that though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Trainspotting

The Commitments

Blue is the warmest colour.

Any hipster worth their salt say this is brilliant. Its at least an hour longer than it needs to be. Some scenes serve almost no purpose other than to convey the passage of time. Snoozefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Black panther - long over due some black leads / super heros but it was a very average super hero movie

On a similar note, Crazy Rich Asians is a pretty bland romcom. Yes it’s great that a mainstream Hollywood movie has a lot of asian actors in it but that alone shouldn’t make it immune to criticism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

2001: A Space Odyssey. Just found it boring and I also fell asleep while watching it. It's probably the only time I fell asleep while watching a movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Withnail and I
    The Big Lebowski

Withnail & I is one of my favourite films. A lot of people
    from small town or rural backgrounds do not get it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Black Hawk Down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

annascott wrote: »
    They get it all right!

They get that it's a complete turd of a movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

annascott wrote: »

"Why yes old chap, because only people from the Big Smoke can understand flamboyant thespian wastrels, drunkenly cavorting about rural England".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Lost in Translation

Won lots of awards, load of ****e

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Lost in Translation

Won lots of awards, load of ****e

I’d be interested to know what films you did enjoy.

There seems to a theme to the films people on his thread dislike, they’re mainly character driven and slow paced films. Films I absolutely love. But taste is entirely subjective.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Taxi Driver is a little interesting but I never understood why it is so highly acclaimed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

AllForIt wrote: »
    Trainspotting

The Commitments

I watched it on video a few years after it came out and wondered what all the fuss was about.

It was terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

There Will Be Blood - I hated the uneven timeline and DDL's over acting. I know I'm supposed to admire his intensity but I just found him hammy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I feel Avatar was very overated.
    An okay film, but I certainly didn't find it the jaw dropping experience many others did.

Also as someone who tends to enjoy longer films, I felt it was actually overly drawn out and could of been much shorter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭Shelga

No Country For Old Men- thought it was so dull, everyone loved it. I nearly walked out of the cinema.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Went to see Birdman after a lot of rave reviews, and couldn't fathom the hype about it afterwards.

The first Anchorman film has some amusing moments in it, but it nowhere near great and the ending has a 'ah f*ck it, that'll do' vibe off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The newer Mad Max.
    A big ball of shīte!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

A lot of Quentin Tarantino's work, though I do like Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

I also hate the way he dumps himself into movies.
    Pretty strange fella too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Any film with Daniel Day Lewis.

Yes, he win the Oscar but the films are boring ****e.

Also never got the love for Scarface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Nonsense.
    I says wrote: »
    Dangerous liaisons
    racso1975 wrote: »
    The breakfast club.

Above - 3 of my favourite films . Shame on you all:D

Below - possible 2 of the worst I've ever seen. Particularly clockwork orange - what a steaming pile of fly covered shíte. No country for old men wasn't much better
    Car99 wrote: »
    Clockwork Orange
    Shelga wrote: »
    No Country For Old Men- thought it was so dull, everyone loved it. I nearly walked out of the cinema.

Also star wars (all of them) and any lord of the rings / hobbit shíte.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

'The God Father' - what the actual fcuk is all the fuss over
    It's well scripted, shot and acted and the first of the modern "mafia" type films. Godfather 2 is the one though. I honestly can't think of a scene that could be improved in it.
    These nerds all believed Star Wars to be a seminal event in movie history.
    It actually was D. In both good and bad ways. *old man alert* I saw it as a kid when it first came out in 77 so came to it first hand as it were and it blew me away. My dad brought me and it blew him away too(and he saw the Buster Krabbe stuff when it was current :D). We as a cinema audience hadn't seen anything quite like it before. I know that's hard to fathom today, because it influenced and drove the whole scifi blockbuster genre since, but it was the case. To take one thing: "Dirty" spaceships. Previous to Star Wars space tech always looked sterile and fancy and clean, but here we saw lived in ships that looked like actual vehicles that actual people might use. Was it hokey as feck? yes. Direction was dodgy too and it would have been a totally different flic where it not for last minute editing. The whole attack on the Death Star at the end with the tension and build up was entirely created in the editing suite. Lucas also plundered the past of storytelling and archetype, to the degree of attending university courses on it, so it hit all the bases on that score too. The last forty years of cinema would have been very different without Star Wars. Again in good and bad ways.

The sequel(and generally the better film) hit hard too on first watch. A character like Yoda is so well known now, it's hard to feel the impact of him on first viewing. This wrinkled little midget that turns out is powerful as feck. When the whole "Luke I'm yer Da" bit came along you felt part of an audience collectively going WTF!!.

But I would agree that since then it's been milked to the point where the udder is drained and while the prequels had more issues than Time magazine's back catalogue, the latest ones are beyond average, with dire spells.
    The Shape of Water was utter dog sh1t (and I say that as a fan of del Toro). Showered in awards despite it being a boring, cliched pile of manipulative sh1t

Hated Ladybird and Call Me By Your Name too. Just don’t get the hype around these unoriginal overrated stories.

Most of the stuff the vile Meryl Streep appears in turns my stomach yet she is so loved by many. Ruins good stuff like The Deer Hunter and Doubt for me.

American Beauty must be the most overrated film of all time. Boring rubbish.

Hate stuff like Chicago and Moulin Rouge. Cannot understand their appeal. Cringeworthy drivel.
    I'd agree with that list myself. The Shape of Water was an OK flic, but it shows the lack of decent competition in Hollywood at the moment that it was singled out as "so brilliant darling". For me Hollywood is fecked anyway, TV is where it's at for decent drama that doesn't rely on primary colour comic books aimed at 8 year olds of all ages.

I'd add that last Mad Max flic Thunder Road to the list. The film nerds loved it and apparently it was a "feminist movie"(it isn't to an ironic degree), but for me it does sum up current Hollywood, being basic of plot, high in repeated high quality set pieces and bereft of storytelling. A film that looks like it was made by a very talented second unit. The last Star Wars episode another example.
    "Why yes old chap, because only people from the Big Smoke can understand flamboyant thespian wastrels, drunkenly cavorting about rural England".
    Sounds about right... :p:D *runs*

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Brian? wrote: »
    I’d be interested to know what films you did enjoy.

There seems to a theme to the films people on his thread dislike, they’re mainly character driven and slow paced films. Films I absolutely love. But taste is entirely subjective.

The humblest of humblebrags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Get Out. Massive bucket of sh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

As someone who was born in 1980 and grew up with Star Wars on TV every Christmas it will always be brilliant to me.

However, I do agree with Wibbs that they have milked the **** out of it. Four new movies in the last 2 years is a bit much. I haven't even seen the last two and I always made a point of watching every one on the big screen.

Saying that, Rogue One was brilliant IMO and is up there with the original trilogy.

As for whoever said The Godfather...get the **** out unless you've only seen Part 3. I've read the book and it's by no means a classic read, makes the movie even better when you look at the source material being used.

I'll agree with Blade Runner. It was probably 20/30 years old when I eventually watched it and didn't get the hype.

All subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Shawshank Redemption is complete and utter horsesh!t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I found the Godfather very boring , even though I like mob movies and tv shows

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Also never got the love for Scarface.

Piss poor movie with one of the greatest spoofers in acting history in the lead role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Apocalypse now....awful awful rubbish.
    Platoon and FMJ are miles ahead of it.

No country for old men...unadulterated toss. I detest films that try to be smart and pretentious as they usually turn out to be the complete opposite.

Piss poor movie with one of the greatest spoofers in acting history in the lead role.

And surely they could have found some Hispanic actors as opposed to just browning up some white guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Sorry now but wtf? Whatever your hate for a movie but Pacino is one of the finest actors out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Went to see Birdman after a lot of rave reviews, and couldn't fathom the hype about it afterwards.

The first Anchorman film has some amusing moments in it, but it nowhere near great and the ending has a 'ah f*ck it, that'll do' vibe off it.
    Oh yeah ****ing birdman. Then you have tossers explaining why you don't appreciate it... The revenant - same deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

'The Green Mile' - in my opinion it was kind of like a dumber version of Shawshank Redemption

'The Post' - I'll admit I never saw it!

'12 Years a Slave'

'The God Father' - what the actual fcuk is all the fuss over

The Green Mile and The Godfather are both fantastic movies.
    BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Nonsense.

Great movie. Nonsense because?
    Knex. wrote: »
    Into the Wild.

Never before has a film crawled so far up in its own hole that the camera angle was actually from the viewpoint of the producers ass the entire time.

Can you expand on this? Brilliant movie, and based on a true story too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Four weddings and a funeral. Don't get why it was so popular. Didn't think is was great, just felt Hugh grant was annoying for the whole film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Forrest Gump.

I've said it before on another thread. The central idea of the movie is very disturbing: Do what everyone tells you, don't question authority and you'll live The American Dream (tm). Don't, rebel against The System and you;ll become a drug addict and die of AIDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Blazer wrote: »
    Sorry now but wtf? Whatever your hate for a movie but Pacino is one of the finest actors out there.

If there was an Oscar for hammy overacting then Pacino would win every year. Watch him in scar face or heat. He’s like something out of a seaside pantomime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

If there was an Oscar for hammy overacting then Pacino would win every year. Watch him in scar face or heat. He’s like something out of a seaside pantomime.
    Tony Montana a coke-addled violent gangster with a badly repressed thing for his sister. The character doesn't call for nuance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Star Wars

The re-release 'special' edition with the crappy CGI then yes.
    The original with the unaltered warts and all effects is much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd add that last Mad Max flic Thunder Road to the list. The film nerds loved it and apparently it was a "feminist movie"(it isn't to an ironic degree), but for me it does sum up current Hollywood, being basic of plot, high in repeated high quality set pieces and bereft of storytelling. A film that looks like it was made by a very talented second unit. The last Star Wars episode another example.

I think plot is hugely overrated as a concept. You can pretty much do without one. A film with an interesting plot but that has a poor script won't work but the opposite isn't true.

Sometimes a plot can add another layer, but if your film is getting the other stuff right it can be largely superfluous.

My vote is for the Prestige. A film about stage magic that springs actual magic on you two thirds into it is self defeating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Not sure if mentioned already but Catch 22 is a pile of indulgent muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Collie D wrote: »
    As for whoever said The Godfather...get the **** out unless you've only seen Part 3. I've read the book and it's by no means a classic read, makes the movie even better when you look at the source material being used.

+1

There were several things I missed or didn't get in the films first time round. Watching them again after reading the book made them even more enjoyable. Much better understanding of the characters, stuff that's not really explained in the films.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

You need to see Dog Day Afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Shelga wrote: »

I was going to vote for this too. Boring beyond belief

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Gbear wrote: »
    I think plot is hugely overrated as a concept. You can pretty much do without one. A film with an interesting plot but that has a poor script won't work but the opposite isn't true.

Sometimes a plot can add another layer, but if your film is getting the other stuff right it can be largely superfluous.
    Storytelling is largely superfluous?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Love Actually, ok not critically acclaimed or anything but people bloody love it. With the exception of Emma Thompson it's a smug fest.

And I'm sorry, the placard scene is not romantic, he's hitting on his best friend's fiance. That's just bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

I have never in my life been as bored as when I tried to watch a Lord Of The Rings film

I still call them films. Never got the whole "movie" thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

ET - The Extra Terrestrial
    Beyond the musical score, I just can't like it as a movie.

Any of the 'tent pole' Disney animations e.g. The Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast.
    Animated characters breaking into song gives me a cringegasm every time.

The Empire Strikes Back. The supposedly good Star Wars movie. Bleak, downbeat to be sure but can't bring myself to like it at all. Give me the original movie any day. Return of the Jedi was an embarrassment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement