Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movies we're supposed to say are good

Comments

I was very disappointed in shawshank after the novella.

The lobster was the worst movie of all time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Logan, was barely entertained watching it.

Sicario.....I honestly didnt enjoy it at all though that could be because Emily Blunt annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

There Will Be Blood - I hated the uneven timeline and DDL's over acting. I know I'm supposed to admire his intensity but I just found him hammy.

Lol, YES. My father and I started watching it one night years back. About half an hour in, we started eyeballing each other but saying nothing. About 45 minutes in, I eventually cracked and said ‘This is awful’, father said something along the lines of “Phew!” and switched it away as quickly as his reflexes would allow! Hammy is almost an understatement. I feel like these handful of prestige actors can get away with doing whatever they want and nobody can say boo to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Forrest Gump.

I've said it before on another thread. The central idea of the movie is very disturbing: Do what everyone tells you, don't question authority and you'll live The American Dream (tm). Don't, rebel against The System and you;ll become a drug addict and die of AIDS.

I think you're looking too deep and seeing something that's just not there, seems to me it's an altogether more harmless "fortune protects fools and small children" kind of deal.

It would be nice if that were true, of course fortune, in reality does no such thing - but that doesn't make for a much of a feel good movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

Mama Mia.
    The. Worst. Ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Forest Gump (ugh)
    2001; A Space Odyssey
    Anchor Man is shoite. Although I'm not sure it's recognised as a 'good' film, there are definitely a lot people who agree it is one of the funniest.

Citizen Cane is apparently the best film ever made, but I'm not sure I'll ever bother watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

The Blair Witch Project, utter crap, never seen so many people walk out of a cinema before the end of a film. Fair play to those who made and marketed it though. Made a fortune with a tiny budget. A turd sold as a diamond.

Brokeback mountain
    Two miserable lads making everyone around them miserable. Plus i couldn't understand a word one of them was saying for most of it (that I watched)

bluewolf wrote: »

I turned it off, I just couldn't force myself to watch anymore - life is too short!
    Logan, was barely entertained watching it.

Sicario.....I honestly didnt enjoy it at all though that could be because Emily Blunt annoys me.

Logan, I stuck with but was sorry I did.

Sicario - was just meh, watchable but that's about it.
    I only stuck with that cos of Benicio, he's usually good - even the Heineken adds are decent! Blunt is annoying as fúck in everything.

Actually I want to add to the list - Looper - what a load of crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

valoren wrote: »
    ET - The Extra Terrestrial
    Beyond the musical score, I just can't like it as a movie.

Any of the 'tent pole' Disney animations e.g. The Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast.
    Animated characters breaking into song gives me a cringegasm every time.

The Empire Strikes Back. The supposedly good Star Wars movie. Bleak, downbeat to be sure but can't bring myself to like it at all. Give me the original movie any day. Return of the Jedi was an embarrassment.

Troooooollllllllll

DirectPlushFerret-small.gif

Nah nah. Just messin'. But Empire, ET, Lion King? My God, man :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Looks like No Country For Old Men is winning: absolute drivel. I can't fully comment on There Will Be Blood because I only watched half of it: unless the second half was fantastic, I didn't miss anything.
    Withnail & I, Lord of the Rings, Donnie Darko, most Quentin Tarantino stuff, all David Lynch stuff very poor...

The Breakfast Club: I thought that was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Forest Gump (ugh)
    2001; A Space Odyssey
    Anchor Man is shoite. Although I'm not sure it's recognised as a 'good' film, there are definitely a lot people who agree it is one of the funniest.

Citizen Cane is apparently the best film ever made, but I'm not sure I'll ever bother watching it

The thing with Citizen Kane is that when you watch it then it's simply a story of a rise and a fall of the central character. The story arc being a play on one of the '7 basic plots'. Rags to Riches + Tragedy + a final twist. Nothing truly ground breaking there.

It was the innovation of not only the film techniques e.g. the first use of deep focus photography, montage sequences, non-linear story telling, wipe cuts, dissolve cuts but also the film making e.g. the set design, the 'aged' make up effects, cameras set up on the floor etc that is why the film is so well regarded. The legend becoming that Welles didn't have a clue about film making and as a consequence ignorantly created the film as he thought was the best way for him to, artistically, make a film. He inadvertently revolutionized film making with that run of the mill yet brilliantly scripted film. All of these techniques and innovations became standardized but they were truly innovations when it was released. However, when we just watch it today we just follow the age old story it tells and think 'Meh', understandably failing to see what all the bloody fuss is about. The legacy of and regard for Citizen Kane is really all about how that 'Meh' was actually made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I can't get past the defensiveness of the thread title.

You're supposed to say these movies are good? Or what happens? Donald Clarke kicks in your door and give you the Clockwork Orange treatment?

Why not, "Popular movies I don't like" or "Critically acclaimed movies I don't like"?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Most of the Star Wars & Marvel Cinematic Universe movies are....poor tbh. Not all are bad while I enjoyed something like Ironman 1 but Ironman 2 & 3 were just lazy with the bare minimum of effort.
    Star Wars it's one thing I never experienced in its heyday so I can't understand how there is so much fandom to the original movies that were only ok. I don't think there has been anything since that was fresh and worth going out of your way to see.
    Star Wars actually puts me off rewatching LOTR in case it's aged as badly as that.

I turned it off, I just couldn't force myself to watch anymore - life is too short!

Logan, I stuck with but was sorry I did.

Sicario - was just meh, watchable but that's about it.
    I only stuck with that cos of Benicio, he's usually good - even the Heineken adds are decent! Blunt is annoying as fúck in everything.

Actually I want to add to the list - Looper - what a load of crap!
    I was with a friend and we didn't know if the other wanted to leave, so we ended up staying for the whole thing.
    Those are hours i will never get back

Oh my god, you poor thing. I can't imagine the hell you went through.

Have you considered counselling? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭DeeTee100

Fight Club.

The whole thing felt like it was a parody of something that I hadn't seen; like there was some "in-joke" I wasn't getting. (And I don't mean the whole "twist" thing).

Far too smug and self-indulgent for its own good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Agreed on No Country for Old Men. I love the Coen brothers films but this was the most boring piece of nonsense they've done. Hail Caesar was awful as well.
    The Wrestler. Ah here. Man dosen't want to give up wrestling. Grow up lad.
    Gangs of New York. Woeful.
    All the Avengers films. Meh. To be honest every super hero movie nowadays. Special mention to Guardians of the Galaxy. I will always try to watch a film all the way through. This is the only film i've ever left the cinema from. Made it 40 mins in. Horrendous.
    Inglorious Bastards. Christ how i made it through it all i don't know. Wanted everyone to just die in it.
    Lost in Translation. Oh lord. People can get lonely. Well i never would have guessed that. Didn't need a film to tell me that.

I've seen Pi, The Big Lebowski, The Pianist & Withnail & I mentioned. They're meant for the best films ever list people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If there was an Oscar for hammy overacting then Pacino would win every year. Watch him in scar face or heat. He’s like something out of a seaside pantomime.

No he's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Not saying they're bad movies, they're visually spectacular, but I found them boring. Actually fell asleep in the cinema during two of them.

Why did you go see one again if the previous made you fall asleep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

murpho999 wrote: »
    No he's not.

Oh yes, he is!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 fizzylizzy

LaLa Land - went with no expectations and was still disappointed, couldn't fathom how it won so many awards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its a matter of taste, I can't stand any Quentin Tarantino films yet everyone raves about them.

I would rate Deliverance and pan's labyrinth for example yet other think they are rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Scarface.

Intermission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Inception is a dog turd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

Munich is a film that robbed me of three hours of my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

The matrix , really don’t see why it was so popular and the first godfather movie was boring. Second godfather was definitely superior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

DavyD_83 wrote: »

I know it's subjective and all that, but when people cite movies like that as the funniest ever, ahead of films like Blazing Saddles, the Monty Python movies, Young Frankenstein, Spinal Tap, Trading Places etc., there's a part of me that feels a little sorry for them. The same goes for people who think Friends and similar, or rather samey and predictable, American sitcoms are the funniest ever.

The only ones I agree with here so far are Donnie Darko, Mad Max Fury Road and Inception.

• Site Banned Posts: 3 vin_petrol

I like and love most of the chosen hated movies here.

The movie which " your supposed to like" but which I hated more than any is birdman.

Once heard it described as Hollywood mastrubating to itself. Self indulgent cack at its worst.

Went to see Birdman after a lot of rave reviews, and couldn't fathom the hype about it afterwards.

The first Anchorman film has some amusing moments in it, but it nowhere near great and the ending has a 'ah f*ck it, that'll do' vibe off it.

Until I’d seen The Big Short, which is great, I just didn’t get the Adam McKay worship. Comedians and the general public alike would be creaming themselves over him and I’d be like “Huh?”. I’ve never really liked any of his comedies and rated some of his comedian creamers way higher than him. The Big Short was the first thing of his that I like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Most films from Christopher Nolan like Inception. Get more fun out of a wet sock.
    The new Mad Max film with Hardy. The main character is not likable and he mutters about 5 lines in the entire film that are unintelligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Gbear wrote: »
    I think plot is hugely overrated as a concept.

Correct. Plot doesn't have to be overly original if the characters and direction are interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Fanny **** wrote: »
    I have never in my life been as bored as when I tried to watch a Lord Of The Rings film

I still call them films. Never got the whole "movie" thing

I tried my best but lost the will to live with those movies.

Any James Bond film. I don't think I have ever stuck one out for it's entirety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Mother
    What a complete pile of ****

Another vote for “No Country For Old Men”

Mission impossible, I fell asleep in the cinema watching the first one and haven’t watched any since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I says wrote: »
    Gangs of New York

a lot of people seemed to hate the Gangs of New York. I really liked it. I think the first scenes were so striking that the rest of the film couldn't live up to it though. Bill the Butcher was great.

I vote for Clockwork Orange as the worst! It was garbage and I didn't like There Will Be Blood either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Michael Collins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Wibbs wrote: »
    Storytelling is largely superfluous?

Plot isn't storytelling.

I also don't agree that Fury Road was bad at storytelling.

There was a certain degree of stylised reality to it, but the actual creation of the world visually and in the development of the culture was phenomenal.

Being a bunch of dumb setpieces glued together is not something you can level at Fury Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Sadb wrote: »
    Mother
    What a complete pile of ****

Another vote for “No Country For Old Men”

Mission impossible, I fell asleep in the cinema watching the first one and haven’t watched any since.

I liked it, but only because Javier Bardem genuinely scared the crap out of me every time he was on screen. I cant hate a movie that features a performance that incredible.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I was very disappointed in shawshank after the novella.
    One of the best films I've ever seen.
    One of the worst films I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I feel so lucky scrolling through this thread. I loved most of the films mentioned. Sometimes I hear about a film being great and I think it's just good, but it's very rare I hear of a great film and don't at least enjoy it when I see it.

• Advertisement

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Devoid of any real story and a protagonist who is completely unlikable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I says wrote: »
    Dangerous liaisons
    Deliverance
    The boxer
    Gangs of New York
    Teen wolf

Deliverance, in my opinion, is brilliant!

I can't stand any of those Lord of the Rings movies. Utter $hite.

Also, James Bond movies. Never watched one to its conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭BurnUp78

Well according to this thread.. every decent film ever made.

xalot wrote: »
    Love Actually, ok not critically acclaimed or anything but people bloody love it. With the exception of Emma Thompson it's a smug fest.

And I'm sorry, the placard scene is not romantic, he's hitting on his best friend's fiance. That's just bad form.

I HATE that stupid film. And agreed, the placard scene is the ultimate dick move.

But if you say you don’t like the film, you get ‘Bah humbug’ comments. Feck off. I know what a good Christmas film is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Sharknado, ridiculous concept.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Devoid of any real story and a protagonist who is completely unlikable.
    I thought it was okay but one scene stood out to me as so contrived:

Baddie: why didn't you tell us x was in town. See everyone, she covered it up
    Response: i uhh uhh ummm
    What they should have said: i did tell you. At the start of this fcuking movie. You kicked me out. REMEMBER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Apocalypse Now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I love that movie so much. Sequel was a complete disappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

That Austin’s powers nonsense. When it came out I worked for a tech company and all the nerds in there were obsessed with it quoting it all the time. I found it embrassingly cringe worthy bad.
    Also the Roddy Doyle films. You’d see better acting in fair city. Intermission was awful too, got through about 20 minutes of it. I can’t actually think of one irish film I rate. Actually I did like My Left Foot.

Advertisement