Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movies we're supposed to say are good

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Sharknado, ridiculous concept.

It's trickier to tell whether Sharknado truly is poor.

Something like the Room is compelling (supposedly; I haven't seen it) because it's an earnest attempt by someone truly without talent. It's a rare glimpse into the mind of a mad man.
    You're watching it not looking for normal things that immerse you in a story, but rather technical things that make you wonder what they were thinking at the time to make something so terrible.

These deliberately ****e films, on the other hand, have to be really clever indeed if they can manage to capture some sort of Pythonesque spirit of anarchy, or have the things they do wrong be so creatively stupid as to be some sort of critique of their existence as tropes.

They're not supposed to make sense, they're supposed to be absurd, they're not supposed to have good dialogue, they're not supposed to have good acting, so they get all those things spot on.

There was one scene I liked on a motorway where it started flooding, and they were in ankle deep water, clearly, and then sharks appeared, in space they clearly couldn't fit into, and dragged people down into the murky ankle-deep abyss.
    I think there's another bit where they're in a hardware supply shop, and someone bangs their head or something, and the wound keeps shifting positions, and it's an absurdly large wound for a bump on the head, and they're using a step ladder to get something that's probably just about within reach without the stepladder.

For people who like things like Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, it has elements in it in that vein.

That said, I'm not really sure anyone says it's "good", and I'm not sure what that even means for a film that's designed to be terrible and consumed with lots of alcohol or weed.

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

I love that movie so much. Sequel was a complete disappointment.

I really enjoyed the sequel too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Any Will Ferrell film with the exception of Elf.

The guy is just not funny, despite many people calling the likes of Anchorman, a classic which it is not in any way.

Anchor man yes. Just drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Apocalypse Now
    Apocalypse Now-Directors Cut
    Inglorious Basterds
    Fight Club
    Lady in the Water
    Cocktail

• Advertisement

Intermission was a pile of ****e. People lauding just because it was irish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Do people actually like that though?

Perhaps you have to be a certain age. I was about the same age as the characters in the Breakfast Club when it was released. I thought it was brilliant.

It may not have aged well (few of us have).

southstar wrote: »
    Apocalypse Now
    Apocalypse Now-Directors Cut
    Inglorious Basterds
    Fight Club
    Lady in the Water
    Cocktail

You must be joking. A work of genius. The horror, the horror......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Lincoln...I literally nearly died of boredom..my heart beat slowed..I had pins and needles in my fingers and I felt the world slipping away...
    Mama Mia...stupid stupid stupid. Hated all the singing bits.

Sardine wrote: »
    That Austin’s powers nonsense. When it came out I worked for a tech company and all the nerds in there were obsessed with it quoting it all the time. I found it embrassingly cringe worthy bad.
    Also the Roddy Doyle films. You’d see better acting in fair city. Intermission was awful too, got through about 20 minutes of it. I can’t actually think of one irish film I rate. Actually I did like My Left Foot.

If you ever get the chance - a few years ago I saw an Irish movie (set in Cuba) called Viva. One of the best movies I ever saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

The Shape of Water was utter dog sh1t (and I say that as a fan of del Toro). Showered in awards despite it being a boring, cliched pile of manipulative sh1t

Hated Ladybird and Call Me By Your Name too. Just don’t get the hype around these unoriginal overrated stories.

Most of the stuff the vile Meryl Streep appears in turns my stomach yet she is so loved by many. Ruins good stuff like The Deer Hunter and Doubt for me.

American Beauty must be the most overrated film of all time. Boring rubbish.

Hate stuff like Chicago and Moulin Rouge. Cannot understand their appeal. Cringeworthy drivel.

What the hell do you like?!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

murpho999 wrote: »
    Any Will Ferrell film with the exception of Elf.

The guy is just not funny, despite many people calling the likes of Anchorman, a classic which it is not in any way.

I agree in the main, but The Other Guys is one of the funniest films I’ve seen.

Cocktail is one of those so bad it’s good films for me. Cocktails and dreams. Always thought it’d be a nightmare just trying to get an effing drink while those two gob****es are dicking around throwing bottles at each other.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Withnaiil and I. An average and forgettable movie hat has inexplicably gained cult status.

Schindler's List. Truely awful acting by Neason.

The Blues Brothers. A comedy for people who don't like comedy.

The God Father. All of them. Bloated and instantly dated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I was a kid in the 1980s and never saw Star Wars.

When I went to college in the 1990s there was lots of guys wearing t-shirts about Yoda, Dart Vader and such and such.

These nerds all believed Star Wars to be a seminal event in movie history.

At the same time George Lucas was creating his prequel series.

To drum up the hype they re-released the original series in theatres so I got to watch it for the first time in the then Virgin Cinema in Dublin. I was shocked at how completely sh1t it was.

Like you never saw it in 70s/80s and then late 90s I was working with few guys that loved it.
    One long weekend borrowed the 3 VHS tapes (can someone explain to the kids what they are) to watch them.
    Watched 1st one Friday night with few drinks, watched most of 2nd Saturday night with more drinks, I fast forwarded the 3rd one on Monday.

When I related this to the lads I might as well have told them I killed their favourite pet, shagged their mother and shot their father.

Have not bothered sitting down and watch any of the newer 3.
    Any film with Daniel Day Lewis.

Yes, he win the Oscar but the films are boring ****e.

I find a lot of his movies overhyped, Gangs of New York and There will be Blood being the worst I think.
    Apocalypse Now.

What do expect when you have one actor incoherently mumbling and they can only show in the dark because he is overweight slob, another one is mostly high on coke and the main one is mostly pi**ed out of his tree.

It is an achievement that it was made at all.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

That Austin’s powers nonsense. When it came out I worked for a tech company and all the nerds in there were obsessed with it quoting it all the time. I found it embrassingly cringe worthy bad.
    Also the Roddy Doyle films. You’d see better acting in fair city. Intermission was awful too, got through about 20 minutes of it. I can’t actually think of one irish film I rate. Actually I did like My Left Foot.

The Guard is a masterpiece.

keano_afc wrote: »
    The Guard is a masterpiece.

I thought it was brutal

mariaalice wrote: »
    Its a matter of taste, I can't stand any Quentin Tarantino films yet everyone raves about them.

I would rate Deliverance and pan's labyrinth for example yet other think they are rubbish.

??

Oh i thought the guard was great

Sing Street
    Once
    The Guard
    Hunger
    The Secret of Kells
    A Date for Mad Mary...............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

I've never seen The Shawshank Redemption but given that every bogman GAA "star" that was ever profiled in a match programme cites it as their favourite movie I have a feeling that I wouldn't like it.....

Favourite fillum: Shawshank Redemption
    Favourite sports person: Rye Keen
    Favourite food: Shtake
    Favourite drink: Milk
    Favourite music: All types!

ps. I'm a bogman so I know what I'm talking about.

justback83 wrote: »
    Sing Street
    Once
    The Guard
    Hunger
    The Secret of Kells

Hunger was good actually. British director though and set in the UK! Saw a minute or so of sing street and had to turn it off as the mid Atlantic accents that weren’t around in the 80s were so annoying.
    Once was insufferable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Inception.

pawdee wrote: »
    I've never seen The Shawshank Redemption but given that every bogman GAA "star" that was ever profiled in a match programme cites it as their favourite movie I have a feeling that I wouldn't like it.....

I think it’s the most perfect rewarding film ever made. You don’t know how lucky you are not having seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Star Bingo wrote: »
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Boring rubbish. Turned it off after 20 minutes.

Lord of the Rings. 12 hours of running through a dark forest. A great cure for Insomnia.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

I think it’s the most perfect rewarding film ever made. You don’t know how lucky you are not having seen it.

I'll make it my business to see it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

Thanks for the laugh 'pawdee', and I'm blaming you for my coffee spill.
    The one word I would add for authenticity is 'look', or slight variations thereof, as in:

Favourite fillum: Look.......Shawshank Redemption
    Favourite sports person: Ah look.....Rye Keen
    Favourite food: Lookit.......Shtake
    Favourite drink: Ah lookit...... Milk
    Favourite music: Look.........All types!

I loved Tinker Tailor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Fight Club, Avatar and a shout out to the LOTR movies... zzzzzz

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I HATED Les Miserables, anyone I tell is shocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Spoiler Alert Pawdee as you've not seen it.

It's always interesting to ask someone who states Shawshank as their favourite film about why it's called the Shawshank Redemption.

They look at you like you've got two heads and when pressed say it's because Tim Robbins was wrongfully imprisoned and he finally manages to escape. Hence he is redeemed from a miscarriage of justice.

They tend to completely miss that the film is actually about Morgan Freeman's character Red. He becomes an institutionalized prisoner and when he see's that when another institutionalized prisoner, Brooks, was released, he couldn't adapt and he eventually killed himself. Red knows this is the path he is destined for should he ever get released on probation.

It actually took Tim Robbins to get incarcerated to prevent that as before he (secretly) escapes he asks Morgan to do him a favor if he ever get's released on probation. It is to retrieve something of his at a specific spot. He knows Red is institutionalized and he knows all going well he'll be sunning himself in Mexico at the warden's expense. He needs to give his friend hope.

After Red is released, he finds that true to his fears he can't adapt but he instead has a renewed purpose, that he had made a promise to a friend, it is that friendship and bond with Andy that prevents him from meeting the same fate as Brooks, it was that false imprisonment of Andy which redeemed Red from suicide. He get's busy living instead. Andy saves his life.

It's surprising how many people state it as a favorite of their's but miss the actual point and meaning of it entirely.

I've never actually watched it. Doesn't seem my kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Tree of Life
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Her
    Wolf of Wall Street
    Lincoln
    The Hateful Eight
    Brick
    Fury

Found the above either utter w*nk / completely boring / up its own hole / overtly cheesy or a combination of all the above (looking at you tree of life).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Sing Street
    Once
    The Guard
    Hunger
    The Secret of Kells

Yep....all ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

If you don't like The Godfather then films probably aren't for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

If you don't like The Godfather then films probably aren't for you.

Agreed.
    It's a bit like saying: 'I like pop music and know a great song when I hear one, but I don't think The Beatles were very good''.

Whereas I enjoyed it, but then I've seen the musical performed 4 times before that. I'm quite the fan TBH.

Some people just don't like musicals.

It's when I say I hated Mama Mia, that I get the looks of shock. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sing Street
    Once
    The Guard
    Hunger
    The Secret of Kells
    I would agree with those mostly....bar Sing Street...love that film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I thought the film sucked (if its 2012 version), and I like musicals.
    Russell Crowe....not a note in his head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

buckwheat wrote: »
    Titanic. Wish they both fcukin drowned:mad:

A night to remember is much better

valoren wrote: »
    Spoiler Alert Pawdee as you've not seen it.

It's always interesting to ask someone who states Shawshank as their favourite film about why it's called the Shawshank Redemption.

They look at you like you've got two heads and when pressed say it's because Tim Robbins was wrongfully imprisoned and he finally manages to escape. Hence he is redeemed from a miscarriage of justice.

They tend to completely miss that the film is actually about Morgan Freeman's character Red. He becomes an institutionalized prisoner and when he see's that when another institutionalized prisoner, Brooks, was released, he couldn't adapt and he eventually killed himself. Red knows this is the path he is destined for should he ever get released on probation.

It actually took Tim Robbins to get incarcerated to prevent that as before he (secretly) escapes he asks Morgan to do him a favor if he ever get's released on probation. It is to retrieve something of his at a specific spot. He knows Red is institutionalized and he knows all going well he'll be sunning himself in Mexico at the warden's expense. He needs to give his friend hope.

After Red is released, he finds that true to his fears he can't adapt but he instead has a renewed purpose, that he had made a promise to a friend, it is that friendship and bond with Andy that prevents him from meeting the same fate as Brooks, it was that false imprisonment of Andy which redeemed Red from suicide. He get's busy living instead. Andy saves his life.

It's surprising how many people state it as a favorite of their's but miss the actual point and meaning of it entirely.

Really? I've always felt the movie was a vehicle to promote interest in rock sculpting and famous movie starlets! so we need to submit a thesis in order to verify with you, exactly what we've taken from this movie?

I'm surprised you didn't use words like angst and protagonist or the phrase human condition!! YAAAAWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNN:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

gmisk wrote: »
    I would agree with those mostly....bar Sing Street...love that film

Think he was recommending those as good Irish movies....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Not saying they're bad movies, they're visually spectacular, but I found them boring. Actually fell asleep in the cinema during two of them.

I watched each one, one after another twice. Time well spent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Wouldn’t be too keen on the ol’ Shawshank. It’s a bit trite. Well made and all but nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Inception

GTFO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

Strictly Ballroom and Green Card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

van_beano wrote: »
    Strictly Ballroom and Green Card

Who the hell is saying you have to like those films? People are getting off brief here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

Who the hell is saying you have to like those films? People are getting off brief here.

IMDB says so, they gave Strictly Ballroom 7.2/10!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why did you go see one again if the previous made you fall asleep?

Because everyone was supposed to say the movies were good, just like the thread title. Went with a group of friends each time and felt like I had to stick it out to the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement