Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movies we're supposed to say are good

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Strictly Ballroom is brilliant. I've seen it several times at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Raging Bull.

Every now and again I like to watch a movie that's considered a 'classic', and this one really let me down. It's basically a boring documentary about a guy who's a bit of a scumbag. There weren't really any likeable characters. Not sure what people find so appealing about it. The fight scenes aren't even good.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

I says wrote: »
    Was cruel intentions the upgraded/dated version for the Muricas

Is it not dangerous liaisons ? Taught it was a great film when first seen it in my teens but it has aged badly or I have lol still want his car but lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Logan, was barely entertained watching it.

Sicario.....I honestly didnt enjoy it at all though that could be because Emily Blunt annoys me.

Both awesome movies that took their respective genres to new levels

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

The artist
    Juno
    Anything that wins at sun dance lol,

Anything (that I've watched) by Woody Allen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

Today's headline: People like and dislike different films shocker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

rusty cole wrote: »
    Really? I've always felt the movie was a vehicle to promote interest in rock sculpting and famous movie starlets! so we need to submit a thesis in order to verify with you, exactly what we've taken from this movie?

I'm surprised you didn't use words like angst and protagonist or the phrase human condition!! YAAAAWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNN:D

I was going for that Patrick Bateman monologue delivery "Do you like The Shawshank Redemption....?" as he holds and displays a copy of the VHS :cool:

Come to think of it American Psycho is another one of those films you're supposed to think is good but is actually sh1t. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Dangerous Cousins. Remake was terrible, not a patch on the original from the french, I like the way they think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

riemann wrote: »
    Schindler's List

So boring.

Fell asleep.

8cB8sR3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet but Pat Short’s The Garage. Everybody was raving about it but in reality it was absolute tripe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Can't understand the hate No Country for Old Men is getting, loved that film!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

Strictly Ballroom is brilliant. I've seen it several times at this stage.

I was 10 when I saw it in the cinema, maybe I wasn’t mature enough to understand the overall theme of the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

I'm a big Kubrick fan and always heard the film was one of the most hilarious comedies out there. Maybe I went in with too high expectations, but found myself disappointed. I wanted to find it as hilarious as people told me but it just didn't pan out like that.

Can't say it's one I would be rushing back to watch it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

The Lobster.

Easily the worst film I’ve ever had to sit through yet surprised at how many people not only say is fantastic but funny and thoughtful. Just... urrrghhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

jiltloop wrote: »
    Can't understand the hate No Country for Old Men is getting, loved that film!

I think it's the lack of closure. You have one of the finest villains ever portrayed, he scurries away and then Tommy Lee Jones explains that basically the world is gone to ****e. Then it ends. No chase, no showdown just an end.

It reminds me of the end of Vertigo. The manipulative villain get's away with it, is on the run. Hitchcock wanted to end it as it now with Stewart atop the Bell tower but production code dictated that a final scene letting the audience know via a radio playing during the scene that Elster, said villian, was currently being chased across Europe the code inferring to the audience that the criminal would not be getting away with it. Hitchcock ended it as intended without that coda.

So with NCFOM, that ending leaves the audience unsatiated paticularly as Chigurh himself was evil incarnate and effectively limps away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Anything (that I've watched) by Woody Allen.

Yes, me too, and add to that anything with Diane Keaton in it - can't watch her at all.

Recently, the Greatest Showman - I walked out halfway through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

In response to peoples views on Scarface in this thead, for me it was always a so-bad-its-good movie, crass,vulgar,tasteless and over the top like the era and environment it was made in. The acting and direction is as operatic as any bad daytime soap opera but I love it. Its of its time and the 80's was never a decade that aged well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Brick

your wrong there very wrong , great low budget with good acting camera work and editing , script was god too

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

mynamejeff wrote: »
    your wrong there very wrong , great low budget with good acting camera work and editing , script was god too

Well as you can see from this thread liking movies is purely subjective. Like Star Wars ffs. I went to see the first of the latest new ones, and half way through was wondering wtf I was doing there watching a kids movie. Grown men are mad into these films, which baffles me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

mynamejeff wrote: »
    No it was pretentious sh!t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

valoren wrote: »
    I think it's the lack of closure. You have one of the finest villains ever portrayed, he scurries away and then Tommy Lee Jones explains that basically the world is gone to ****e. Then it ends. No chase, no showdown just an end.

It reminds me of the end of Vertigo. The manipulative villain get's away with it, is on the run. Hitchcock wanted to end it as it now with Stewart atop the Bell tower but production code dictated that a final scene letting the audience know via a radio playing during the scene that Elster, said villian, was currently being chased across Europe the code inferring to the audience that the criminal would not be getting away with it. Hitchcock ended it as intended without that coda.

So with NCFOM, that ending leaves the audience unsatiated paticularly as Chigurh himself was evil incarnate and effectively limps away.

I liked the ending, it's exactly how it plays out in the book too. I saw the story as a commentary on the slipping away of old values and the cheapening of life. The fact that the villain gets away fits nicely with the narrative that the whole story is outlining, namely that the façade of social harmony and security of quiet, quaint county policed by an aging Sheriff is slipping away in an appalling manner and there is a grim hopelessness that's tightening it's grip with the influx of evil money driven Mexican cartel members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Saw. What a pile of shite.

Sardine wrote: »
    Well as you can see from this thread liking movies is purely subjective. Like Star Wars ffs. I went to see the first of the latest new ones, and half way through was wondering wtf I was doing there watching a kids movie. Grown men are mad into these films, which baffles me.

As a fan of the originals(admittedly still flawed), the latest trilogy is horrendous so far. As bad as the prequels were at least Lucas tried to steer the saga into new territory instead of tone deaf cover versions like the last two.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Danonino. wrote: »
    The Lobster.

Easily the worst film I’ve ever had to sit through yet surprised at how many people not only say is fantastic but funny and thoughtful. Just... urrrghhhh
    What the hell happened to Colin Farrell's career?

Went from a Hollywood A lister to starring in small time, limited release garbage.

It's been some fall. It all seemed to unravel when he got sober.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Veronica Guerin

Now I know she was a well respected journalist and I don't mean to dismurch her good name, but the movie stinks.

For one thing kate Blanchett's irish accent is woeful absolutely atrocious, why couldn't they give the role to an irish actress?

The scene with colin farrell what was that all about? added nothing to the movie.

And the ending with the traveller kid singing the Fields of Athenry in the background, was cringeworthy & mawkish.

If they made it as a TV drama I think it would have worked, but as a motion picture targeting an international audience it was always destined to fail, not many people know of her outside of Ireland anyway.

(having said that Ciaran Hinds was excellent as John Traynor)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

jiltloop wrote: »
    I liked the ending, it's exactly how it plays out in the book too. I saw the story as a commentary on the slipping away of old values and the cheapening of life. The fact that the villain gets away fits nicely with the narrative that the whole story is outlining, namely that the façade of social harmony and security of quiet, quaint county policed by an aging Sheriff is slipping away in an appalling manner and there is a grim hopelessness that's tightening it's grip with the influx of evil money driven Mexican cartel members.

More generally, harmony and security are always transient. Maybe it is Mexican cartel members, maybe it's a road accident, maybe it's a tornado, or an ex-CIA agent with an axe, but sooner or later something is going to **** you over. Death cannot be contained.

van_beano wrote: »
    I was 10 when I saw it in the cinema, maybe I wasn’t mature enough to understand the overall theme of the movie.

It's extraordinarily camp and very knowingly ironic but it wears its heart on its sleeve and has bags full of charm. I'm sure its going to be a different experience to an adult than it is to a child. I'd put it on a par with something like the Princess Bride.

Lincoln was a slog, I would consider myself a history buff and I was still bored to tears. Spielberg cant help being sentimental even when dealing with historical fact, I never cared much for any of his non-popcorn fare.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

Went from a Hollywood A lister to starring in small time, limited release garbage.

It's been some fall. It all seemed to unravel when he got sober.

Killing of a Sacred Deer was good. As was In Bruges. None of his A list big budget films were any good really!

fryup wrote: »
    Veronica Guerin

Now I know she was a well respected journalist and I don't mean to dismurch her good name, but the movie stinks.

For one thing kate Blanchett's irish accent is woeful absolutely atrocious, why couldn't they give the role to an irish actress?

The scene with colin farrell what was that all about? added nothing to the movie.

And the ending with the traveller kid singing the Fields of Athenry in the background, was cringeworthy & mawkish.

If they made it as a TV drama I think it would have worked, but as a motion picture targeting an international audience it was always destined to fail, not many people know of her outside of Ireland anyway.

(having said that Ciaran Hinds was excellent as John Traynor)

I don't know of anyone that thought that film was anything other than a massive hape of shíte. It was atrocious.

Lincoln was a slog, I would consider myself a history buff and I was still bored to tears. Spielberg cant help being sentimental even when dealing with historical fact, I never cared much for any of his non-popcorn fare.

yep, remember watching that in the cinema and being bored out of my tonsils..the only reason i remained seated was my GF wanted to see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

There are several actors I cant stomach.

If Hugh Grant, Tom Cruise won best actors oscars I still wouldnt watch any of their movies any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Saw. What a pile of shite.

What did you see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

As a fan of the originals(admittedly still flawed), the latest trilogy is horrendous so far. As bad as the prequels were at least Lucas tried to steer the saga into new territory instead of tone deaf cover versions like the last two.
    The recent films arent great...but come on they are miles better than those bloody prequels....Episode 1...opening scrawl....is about taxation......lol

he believed in his own hype, behaving like a latter day Richard Harris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Sure was - love that film.

The Big Lebowski really did not do it for me - but I may revisit.

While I wasn’t mad about it, I love this scene
    https://youtu.be/-bG9q1JqjS4

Danonino. wrote: »
    The Lobster.

Yes! Not alone! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I think this whole we a meant to say a film is good is crap. It all boils down to those(some bot all) who like a film going crazy if someone say it is bad and also some of those who think a film is crap that those who like it are insane.

I mean I thought Waterworld was an okay film but Being John Nalkoveich as a waste of a few hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Often find some of the Oscar winners to be absolutely sh*te.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

Goodfellas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I hate Sci Fi with a vengence. I wanted to kill Richard Dreyfuss in Close Encounters such an irritating bastard and Star Wars is just cartoons the little of it I've seen.

But there is a special place in hell for my Brother in law who recommended a George Clooney film (which meant herself made me watch it). It was about two hours of George floating around in a Space Station talking to himself or to some bird who may or may not have been there. There was a constant irritating humming sound in the background of an engine or air con or something. At the end he stopped talking. I think he had died or it was all in our imagination, or in his imagination or or or... something. I think it was called Solaris? Avoid, avoid, avoid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I think it was called Solaris?

You should watch the Tarkovsky original. You'd love that.

Goodfellas

Seriously, one of the greatest movies ever made and after reading the autobiography of Henry Hill that it was based on, I was even more convinced of its brilliance. Never have I seen a film so perfectly encapsulate a book the way that Goodfellas did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Goodfellas

It's bit drawn out alright. Becomes at bit of a chore eventually.

I actually think it intially got pretty mediocre reviews at the time of its release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Watched Taxi Driver last night. Thought it was a good 5 outta 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Firblog wrote: »
    Blade Runner.

And the new one

Garden State, twee filler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Often find some of the Oscar winners to be absolutely sh*te.

Almost every single one of them

• Advertisement
Advertisement