Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movies we're supposed to say are good

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

Moonlight

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

I'm a big Kubrick fan and always heard the film was one of the most hilarious comedies out there. Maybe I went in with too high expectations, but found myself disappointed. I wanted to find it as hilarious as people told me but it just didn't pan out like that.

Can't say it's one I would be rushing back to watch it again.

Ah yeah, that's where you went wrong. Dr. Strangelove is an absolutely fantastic film - one of my favourites of all time. But it's not a "hilarious comedy". It's not meant to be. It's much blacker, sardonic, tragic even, than that. Maybe watch without expecting The Hangover, or Anchorman (or whatever your choice of favourite comedy is), and you might take something different from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Titanic.

Particularly as to how James Cameron himself felt compelled to write a piece for the LA Times/throw his toys out of the pram because in-house film critic Kenneth Turan, get this, had the temerity to criticise Titanic.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/mar/28/entertainment/ca-33428

Clearly Turan was just stating the obvious i.e. Titanic was an absolutely terrible film and what sweet vindication it must have been to witness Cameron throwing a narcissistic, hissy fit and inadvertently vindicating Turan's criticisms.

Per him, "it almost makes you weep in frustration" - "lowest common denominator screenplays that condescend to their audience." - "Cameron is not someone to be trusted anywhere near a word processor"

He isn't wrong but Cameron sure didn't like the Titanic bubble getting pricked.

"Titanic" is not a film that is sucking people in with flashy hype and spitting them out onto the street feeling let down and ripped off. They are returning again and again to repeat an experience that is taking a 3-hour and 14-minute chunk out of their lives, and dragging others with them, so they can share the emotion.

:D

So don't ever tell James "I'm the King of the World" Cameron that you think Titanic is crap. You, like the critics, are supposed to say it's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Anything directed by Ingmar Bergman. Tortuously dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

valoren wrote: »
    Titanic.

Particularly as to how James Cameron himself felt compelled to write a piece for the LA Times/throw his toys out of the pram because in-house film critic Kenneth Turan, get this, had the temerity to criticise Titanic.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/mar/28/entertainment/ca-33428

Clearly Turan was just stating the obvious i.e. Titanic was an absolutely terrible film and what sweet vindication it must have been to witness Cameron throwing a narcissistic, hissy fit and inadvertently vindicating Turan's criticisms.

Per him, "it almost makes you weep in frustration" - "lowest common denominator screenplays that condescend to their audience." - "Cameron is not someone to be trusted anywhere near a word processor"

He isn't wrong but Cameron sure didn't like the Titanic bubble getting pricked.

"Titanic" is not a film that is sucking people in with flashy hype and spitting them out onto the street feeling let down and ripped off. They are returning again and again to repeat an experience that is taking a 3-hour and 14-minute chunk out of their lives, and dragging others with them, so they can share the emotion.

So don't ever tell James "I'm the King of the World" Cameron that you think Titanic is crap. You, like the critics, are supposed to say it's good.

Bloody hell, I knew Cameron was an ass but that is unbelievably petty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Filmmaking style is constantly evolving. In particular, average shot duration today is considerably shorter than it was even a decade ago, which is related to how we process cognitively what we see and hear. As we grow accustomed to ever shorter shot durations, we tend to perceive films made decades ago as much slower, and hence "boring," even though that is not how they would have appeared to audiences at the time they were released.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Anything currently on Netflix....

Most of the films here getting a lot of hate I loved. It is subjective for the most part but I think there are elements which an expert in film making would say point to a film being excellent or terrible. I am not such an expert so for me it's my own taste.
    I thought The Shape of Water was brilliant. It was a soft and whimsical tale of love conquering all. Love that kind of stuff. Also think The Godfather is one of the best films I've ever seen, along with Brokeback Mountain, There Will be Blood and Pan's Labyrinth.
    I also rate Strictly Ballroom, Pretty Woman, Space Balls, ET, The Lion King, Escape to Witch Mountain. Jaysus I'll be here all day if I was to talk about my favourite films :)

I can't think of any that would answer the OP's question. Inception was great fun but I didn't see it as being groundbreaking or even that deep. So maybe that one. Or Kill Bill. Again it was grand but just a long kill fest and I'm not a fan of Tarantino. The Lobster I haven’t seen but I like Colin Farrell so might give it a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The English Patient - yawn fest.

Space Balls - not a cult classic, just dull cheesy 'gags'.

Anything by one trick pony Quentin Tarantino. The decent enough one was Reservoir Dogs. The rest is muck and mostly ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Skyfall,an unbelievably pretentious and po faced bond of all things, lets "humanise" him for the 21st century, give me Roger Moore hamming it up any day.

• Advertisement

Most of the films here getting a lot of hate I loved. It is subjective for the most part but I think there are elements which an expert in film making would say point to a film being excellent or terrible. I am not such an expert so for me it's my own taste.
    I thought The Shape of Water was brilliant. It was a soft and whimsical tale of love conquering all. Love that kind of stuff. Also think The Godfather is one of the best films I've ever seen, along with Brokeback Mountain, There Will be Blood and Pan's Labyrinth.
    I also rate Strictly Ballroom, Pretty Woman, Space Balls, ET, The Lion King, Escape to Witch Mountain. Jaysus I'll be here all day if I was to talk about my favourite films :)

I can't think of any that would answer the OP's question. Inception was great fun but I didn't see it as being groundbreaking or even that deep. So maybe that one. Or Kill Bill. Again it was grand but just a long kill fest and I'm not a fan of Tarantino. The Lobster I haven’t seen but I like Colin Farrell so might give it a shot.

If you like the lobster AND bbm, i can't talk to you anymore :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Guard. Unfunny Paddywhackery.

Any and all of the Harry Potter films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

valoren wrote: »
    Spoiler Alert Pawdee as you've not seen it.

It's always interesting to ask someone who states Shawshank as their favourite film about why it's called the Shawshank Redemption.

They look at you like you've got two heads and when pressed say it's because Tim Robbins was wrongfully imprisoned and he finally manages to escape. Hence he is redeemed from a miscarriage of justice.

They tend to completely miss that the film is actually about Morgan Freeman's character Red. He becomes an institutionalized prisoner and when he see's that when another institutionalized prisoner, Brooks, was released, he couldn't adapt and he eventually killed himself. Red knows this is the path he is destined for should he ever get released on probation.

It actually took Tim Robbins to get incarcerated to prevent that as before he (secretly) escapes he asks Morgan to do him a favor if he ever get's released on probation. It is to retrieve something of his at a specific spot. He knows Red is institutionalized and he knows all going well he'll be sunning himself in Mexico at the warden's expense. He needs to give his friend hope.

After Red is released, he finds that true to his fears he can't adapt but he instead has a renewed purpose, that he had made a promise to a friend, it is that friendship and bond with Andy that prevents him from meeting the same fate as Brooks, it was that false imprisonment of Andy which redeemed Red from suicide. He get's busy living instead. Andy saves his life.

It's surprising how many people state it as a favorite of their's but miss the actual point and meaning of it entirely.

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Shelga wrote: »
    No Country For Old Men- thought it was so dull, everyone loved it. I nearly walked out of the cinema.

I liked it til the end. Killing the main character off-screen was so bizarre it ruined it for me. I kept expecting him to come back!

bluewolf wrote: »
    If you like the lobster AND bbm, i can't talk to you anymore :pac::pac:

I wish I knew how to quit you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Gravity with Sandra Bullock.... awful rubbish absolutely awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Didn’t even finish “Downsizing,” it was so ****. The disappointing thing was the first 20 or so minutes were good and the concept was good. Maybe it was the Irishness in me saying why wouldn’t they stay full sized and pay €500,000 for a 3 bed semi?!;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Don't think I've seen Avatar mentioned yet?? I was saying this before but anyway I did like the film but the thought of sitting down and watching it again kills me. It was too long and dragged out!

fxotoole wrote: »
    Both awesome movies that took their respective genres to new levels

Sicario 2 is better than the first one. I didn’t like the first one either.

• Advertisement

The Shape of Water was utter dog sh1t (and I say that as a fan of del Toro). Showered in awards despite it being a boring, cliched pile of manipulative sh1t

Hated Ladybird and Call Me By Your Name too. Just don’t get the hype around these unoriginal overrated stories.

Most of the stuff the vile Meryl Streep appears in turns my stomach yet she is so loved by many. Ruins good stuff like The Deer Hunter and Doubt for me.

American Beauty must be the most overrated film of all time. Boring rubbish.

Hate stuff like Chicago and Moulin Rouge. Cannot understand their appeal. Cringeworthy drivel.

Ah come on, “The Deer Hunter” is excellent, Streep is brilliant in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

BROOKLYN

Inglorious Bastards. WW2 arcade game style.

KevinCavan wrote: »
    Ah come on, “The Deer Hunter” is excellent, Streep is brilliant in it.

Christopher Walken at his finest too.

The Wedding scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Dr Strangelove by any measure is terrible.

Watched it many years ago with a group of fellow college neck beards, hated it.

Watched it again a few years ago as my wife hadn't seen it, and i hoped it would grow on me. Hated it.

Best described as, full of its own self importance.

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Christopher Walken at his finest too.

The Wedding scene.

As much as I love the film,the first hour or so is a tad self indulgent on Cimino's part,no need for a wedding scene that long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

As much as I love the film,the first hour or so is a tad self indulgent on Cimino's part,no need for a wedding scene that long.

I really like the wedding scene and it was to show how happy and normal and naive they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Bloody hell, I knew Cameron was an ass but that is unbelievably petty.

In fairness with a cv like terminator 1&2, Aliens, Titanic, Avatar and true lies he's entitled to his opinion, he's one of the most talented people alive today. In fairness anybody who enjoys films will admit Titanic is a good film, of course it's not on the same level as Shawshank or Pulp fiction but it's still a good film

Anything by Terrence Malick.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Black Hawk Down

COMPLETE Mission Impossible movie franchise

Mission Impossible with Tom Cruise all movies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The Usual Suspects

Good Will Hunting

Pulp Fiction

Scarface

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cloud Atlas was utter trash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Greyfox wrote: »
    In fairness anybody who enjoys films will admit Titanic is a good film

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

In fairness with a cv like terminator 1&2, Aliens, Titanic, Avatar and true lies he's entitled to his opinion, he's one of the most talented people alive today. In fairness anybody who enjoys films will admit Titanic is a good film, of course it's not on the same level as Shawshank or Pulp fiction but it's still a good film

Titanic was maudlin sh*te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Titanic and Avatar were tripe. Well made spectacles with good effects but utterly facile. I'm not a huge fan of T2 truth be told. The Edward Furlong character is a pain in the hoop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

quickbeam wrote: »
    Ah yeah, that's where you went wrong. Dr. Strangelove is an absolutely fantastic film - one of my favourites of all time. But it's not a "hilarious comedy". It's not meant to be. It's much blacker, sardonic, tragic even, than that. Maybe watch without expecting The Hangover, or Anchorman (or whatever your choice of favourite comedy is), and you might take something different from it.
    I always loved it, but if people are looking for something like you mentioned, those punters won't. They could try Mrs Brown's Boys or Mr Bean.

Here's one of my favourite scenes:

"Deviated prevert" and "You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company" are my favourite quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Looks like No Country For Old Men is winning: absolute drivel.

Any Batman movie pretty much drivel. Most overrated in years for my money was 'Dunkirk' - such a wasted opportunity.

I've loved Cormac McCarthy since about '95 when I read Blood Meridian (which I'm still waiting for someone to make into a movie / fillum) so I read NCFOM as soon as it came out and knew it had to be dramatised.

It had to be made into a fillum. And they did a great job imo. Maybe it's better if you've read the book but I love that movie. Like people saying it's boring, Come on!

Pretty much every film on here I really like.

I always loved it, but if people are looking for something like you mentioned, those punters won't. They could try Mrs Brown's Boys or Mr Bean.

Here's one of my favourite scenes:

"Deviated prevert" and "You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company" are my favourite quotes.

Indeed its not "ha ha" funny, its dark satire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Mission Impossible with Tom Cruise all movies

You should have stopped after one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Knex. wrote: »
    Into the Wild.

Never before has a film crawled so far up in its own hole that the camera angle was actually from the viewpoint of the producers ass the entire time.

This!! Hated that movie so much! I think we were supposed to be inspired or something by the lead character, and not think what an insufferable narcissist.

• Advertisement

Things To Do In Vegas when You're Dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Road to perdition

Drags on and on and then just ends. Terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Donnie Darko. Twice I've wasted my time on this crap, and lots of people seem to think it's amazing.

Drive. 2 good scenes but completely ruined by Ryan can't-act Gosling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Things To Do In Vegas when You're Dead.

Never heard of it. But Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead was pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Often find some of the Oscar winners to be absolutely sh*te.

yep, pretentious tripe with pretentious titles

the shape of water, children of a lesser god, out of africa etc etc :rolleyes:

......the vile Meryl Streep....

Wtf? She's possibly the greatest actress of all time.

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    Well according to this thread.. every decent film ever made.

Seems like a load of 20-somethings that don't have the patience to put Instagram away long enough to sit through a movie.

Christ I sound like an old man.

Ardent wrote: »
    Wtf? She's possibly the greatest actress of all time.

She is but a bit of a dose as well.

Any Batman movie pretty much drivel.

Ah here Batman:The Movie is an incredible tour de force by Adam West.

• Advertisement

Ardent wrote: »
    Seems like a load of 20-somethings that don't have the patience to put Instagram away long enough to sit through a movie.

Christ I sound like an old man.

Or worse yet, watching the film on their phone.

Advertisement