Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movies we're supposed to say are good

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Titanic and Avatar were tripe. Well made spectacles with good effects but utterly facile. I'm not a huge fan of T2 truth be told. The Edward Furlong character is a pain in the hoop.

T2 is the best action film ever made, the story was amazing and its a non stop action rollacoster. Titanic and Avatar both had excellent special effects and deserved there massive success. Both films don't have anything wrong with them and ticked the usual blockbuster boxes, storywise there grand and both build to a satisfying conclusion. Yes Titanics good love story is no Casablanca and Avatar copies the plot from other films but thats life, there both very entertaining first time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Ardent wrote: »
    Wtf? She's possibly the greatest actress of all time.

Great Actress but she is a c**t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Star wars, All of them. Finally watched them about a year ago and there is about 22 hours of my life I'll never get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

Andy du Fraine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Great Actress but she is a c**t

Im sure the majority of "Hollyweird" are quite insufferable in reality, I wouldn't begrudge them a great film performance for it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Gandhi..

The exorcist and Psycho, both boring films that have not aged well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Snatch

The only time I've walked out of a cinema.

The Van

I wanted to walk out but was hoping someone would punch Brendan O'Carroll in the face.

Putinbot wrote: »
    Star wars, All of them. Finally watched them about a year ago and there is about 22 hours of my life I'll never get back.

Why did you watch them all then? SW the empire strikes back is masterpiece, in 200 years people will still be talking about how great the film is

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Things To Do In Vegas when You're Dead.

Except no one ever said that was good. It was sh*te.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

You people are monsters!
    WTF do you like?
    I bet everyone on here is a raging Fast and Furious fan. :p

Ardent wrote: »
    Wtf? She's possibly the greatest actress of all time.

Can't think of even one film with her in it I've liked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Why did you watch them all then? SW the empire strikes back is masterpiece, in 200 years people will still be talking about how great the film is

I watched them to watch them finally. I'm pig headed like that. Once I started I suffered on through them all.

You people are monsters!
    WTF do you like?

No doubt fiends for the ever expanding Marvel Universe.

You people are monsters!
    WTF do you like?
    I've haven't seen it but I'm sure it's better than Star Wars and that abomination with Richard E Grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

You people are monsters!
    WTF do you like?

I'm not!

But I do dislike Christopher Nolan movies. Find them quite pretentious... Interstellar, Inception and all his Batman films.

OK, except for Mememto. That was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The name completely escapes me right now but the one about the Indian guy winning Who Wants to be a Millionaire that won about 400 Oscars.

In its defence I was extremely hungover and just wanted to watch stuff blow up rather than watch a movie that involved any kind of effort or thinking.

Collie D wrote: »
    The name completely escapes me right now but the one about the Indian guy winning Who Wants to be a Millionaire that won about 400 Oscars.

In its defence I was extremely hungover and just wanted to watch stuff blow up rather than watch a movie that involved any kind of effort or thinking.
    Was it the one with Richard E Grant, because that was rubbish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Good Will Hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭appledrop

riemann wrote: »
    Schindler's List

So boring.

Fell asleep.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

This is one of the all time best film every made. I watched it about 20 times.

Next you will be saying saying Shawshank Redemption is boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

valoren wrote: »
    Titanic.

Particularly as to how James Cameron himself felt compelled to write a piece for the LA Times/throw his toys out of the pram because in-house film critic Kenneth Turan, get this, had the temerity to criticise Titanic.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/mar/28/entertainment/ca-33428

Clearly Turan was just stating the obvious i.e. Titanic was an absolutely terrible film and what sweet vindication it must have been to witness Cameron throwing a narcissistic, hissy fit and inadvertently vindicating Turan's criticisms.

Per him, "it almost makes you weep in frustration" - "lowest common denominator screenplays that condescend to their audience." - "Cameron is not someone to be trusted anywhere near a word processor"

He isn't wrong but Cameron sure didn't like the Titanic bubble getting pricked.

"Titanic" is not a film that is sucking people in with flashy hype and spitting them out onto the street feeling let down and ripped off. They are returning again and again to repeat an experience that is taking a 3-hour and 14-minute chunk out of their lives, and dragging others with them, so they can share the emotion.

:D

So don't ever tell James "I'm the King of the World" Cameron that you think Titanic is crap. You, like the critics, are supposed to say it's good.

When Paul Newman died one of his obituaries wrote that his first film was so bad that he took out newspaper ads begging the public not to see it.

Not sure if it's a Hollywood urban legend but a big risk to take for a guy starting his career and would have no doubt pissed off the producers but for me it enhanced his already likeable persona. I hope it's true.

appledrop wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

This is one of the all time best film every made. I watched it about 20 times.

Also thought it was sh*te!

All Star Wars films

All woody Allen films

All Quentin Tarantino

You catch my drift certain genre are not my thing.

Revenant-Biggest load of crap + let down ever. I love Leo + 99% of his films. I was so looking forward to this. Silence for most of film apart from his screaming. No thanks.

xalot wrote: »
    Love Actually, ok not critically acclaimed or anything but people bloody love it. With the exception of Emma Thompson it's a smug fest.

And I'm sorry, the placard scene is not romantic, he's hitting on his best friend's fiance. That's just bad form.

Ah stop love this. Always watch it a few times every year in December in run up to Christmas. So Christmassy!!!!

Collie D wrote: »

Yeah Slumdog millionaire, your right it was shi*e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yeah slumdog was ****e. So was 12 years of stares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

ET the Extra Terrestrial

It's an oversized dildo on rollerskates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

Good Will Hunting.

Get out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Sharknado

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Akrasia wrote: »
    ET the Extra Terrestrial

It's an oversized dildo on rollerskates

It was a bike.

Sardine wrote: »

Shindlers list is definitely one of the best films ever made and easily the most powerful. It's a film everyone on the planet needs to watch as a lesson on what human beings are capable off, it's so much more than just a film, I reckon this film should be shown to every student in secondary school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Earleybird wrote: »
    Get out

Yeah, didn't really like that either. I mean the premise was great, I think it was just over hyped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

All Star Wars films

All woody Allen films

All Quentin Tarantino

You catch my drift certain genre are not my thing.
    Yeah, because Star Wars, Woody Allen films, and Tarantino films are almost identical. :rolleyes:

By the way, I love sci-fi but I never got into Star Wars, although I've only seen the original. Tarantino is very hit-and-miss (usually miss), but Woody Allen's early stuff (especially) was great. But then...

Shindlers list is definitely one of the best films ever made and easily the most powerful. It's a film everyone on the planet needs to watch as a lesson on what human beings are capable off, it's so much more than just a film, I reckon this film should be shown to every student in secondary school

Yeah well that's just like your opinion man. I thought it was sh*te and I've read enough about history and the Holocaust to know what we're capable of!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Loads of Tom Cruise hate, I’m not a massive fan but recently seen American made and was expecting to hate it. It was very good. Really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Sardine wrote: »

Yep excellent movie. The only colour used was the red coat on the little girl that eventually got killed. Genius.

Yep excellent movie. The only colour used was the red coat on the little girl that eventually got killed. Genius.

"Think [Schindler's List] was about the Holocaust?... That was about success, wasn’t it? The Holocaust is about six million people who get killed. ‘'Schindler’s List’' is about 600 who don’t. Anything else?"

Stanley Kubrick

All Quentin Tarantino

When it comes to writing film dialogue there's nobody on the planet better than Tarrantino. I've watched Pulp fiction about 100 times and will watch it another 50 times before I die, it really is that good. Samuel L Jackson has been in plenty of bad films and gets away with all these due to how amazing he is in this 1 film. Django unchained is excellent and Kill Bill vol 1 is a masterpiece, the 1 person v 80people fight at the end is the greatest martial arts scene of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Don’t know if we’re supposed to like Red Sparrow but it was a creepy, drawn-out, all about nothing mess. Good performance by J-Law though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Danonino. wrote: »
    Loads of Tom Cruise hate, I’m not a massive fan but recently seen American made and was expecting to hate it. It was very good. Really enjoyed it.

Really? Flicked past it a few times and couldn't see how they'd make a decent film out of it, but I'll give it a go, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Firblog

Killing them softly
    A place beyond the pines
    Drive

When it comes to writing film dialogue there's nobody on the planet better than Tarrantino. I've watched Pulp fiction about 100 times and will watch it another 50 times before I die, it really is that good. Samuel L Jackson has been in plenty of bad films and gets away with all these due to how amazing he is in this 1 film. Django unchained is excellent and Kill Bill vol 1 is a masterpiece, the 1 person v 80people fight at the end is the greatest martial arts scene of all time.

Pulp Fiction was co written with Roger Avary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

You people are monsters!
    WTF do you like?

I'm a raging Fast and Furious fan so don't be putting them down :P I'll come after you Dr :D

Yeah amazing scene, theres so much going on around the girl. The actress who played the little girl promised to wait till she was 18 before watching the film, she didnt wait and was traumatised from watching the film but she watched the film again years later and then she fully appreciated what a great scene it was

"Think [Schindler's List] was about the Holocaust?... That was about success, wasn’t it? The Holocaust is about six million people who get killed. ‘'Schindler’s List’' is about 600 who don’t. Anything else?"

Stanley Kubrick

Stanley sounds like a jealous man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Peatys wrote: »
    Really? Flicked past it a few times and couldn't see how they'd make a decent film out of it, but I'll give it a go, cheers.

If you hate it, it wasn’t me ha ha
    It was surprisingly good though.

Pulp Fiction was co written with Roger Avary.

Yep, thats correct, sadly I always forget to give him any credit

Stanley sounds like a jealous man

They arent even in the same league as each other, watch or read any of Spielbergs thoughts on Kubrick to confirm this.

Let's resurrect that great film guessing thread! Remember the one from about two years ago? That was great craic. Must have a search for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

quickbeam wrote: »
    You need to see Dog Day Afternoon.

There's quiet thoughtful Pacino and loud as fnck and annoying Pacino.

Quiet and thoughtful Pacino is a fncking superstar.

Loud as fnck and annoying Pacino is just annoying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement