Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you buy 'organic' everything if you hit the lotto?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We rear our own pigs for the table here, they roam outside but have access to housing for shelter. Not fed organic meal.
    I’m fairness the difference in taste is obvious but I credit it to free range rather than organic.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

In reality, your free range pigs incorporate many organic principals, so you are probably almost there. The meal is only one aspect and hardly likely to contribute a major difference on its own. Organics also covers inspections and records but why would you need that as you are using them yourself and know everything that goes in to them. However good to see you notice the difference in taste which is due I think to the whole package, outdoor, free range, stress free, good housing and husbandry for your stock.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

'I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things that money can buy.'

- Steve Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

What ever my personal chef thinks is best will do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

annascott wrote: »
    I buy organic wherever I can now. It is lack of availability that prevents my diet not being completely organic, not price. With the exception of some meat, most vegetables and fish aren't more than a few euro extra.

I bought a brown baguette (cuisine de France) but left it in the carrier bag and forgot about it. A week later I found it but it had not gone mouldy. I put it out for the birds but two weeks later, most of it was still there, still not mouldy. I will never buy them again. That much preservative had to be harmful.

Since 1995, the Environmental Working Group, a US environmental advocacy group, has developed an annual list of fruits and vegetables suspected as having the greatest potential for contamination with pesticide residues. The EWG’s most recent ‘Dirty Dozen’ commodities at risk of pesticide contamination included celery, peaches, strawberries, apples, blueberries, nectarines, bell peppers, spinach, cherries, kale, potatoes, and grapes. According to an EWG news release, ‘consumers can lower their pesticide consumption by nearly four-fifths by avoiding conventionally grown varieties of the 12 most contaminated fruits and vegetables’ and recommended that consumers consider purchasing organic forms of these 12 foods in place of conventional forms.

Exposure assessments to the ten most common pesticides found on each of the 12 ‘Dirty Dozen’ foods were developed using probabilistic models and PDP data. All exposure estimates were well below chronic RfDs. Only one of the 120 exposure estimates exceeded 1% of the RfD and only seven exposure estimates exceeded 0.1% of the RfD. Three-quarters of the pesticide/commodity combinations demonstrated exposure estimates below 0.01% of the RfD, while 40.8% had exposure estimates below 0.001% of the RfD. It was concluded that exposures to the most commonly detected pesticides on each of the ‘Dirty Dozen’ commodities pose negligible risks to consumers and that substitution of organic forms of these foods does not result in any appreciable reduction of consumer risk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

sligojoek wrote: »
    If I won the lotto I'd have my own gardener to grow it all for me on site.
    But seriously?

Advertisement