Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for sports hall

Options
  • 30-08-2018 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Wasnt sure where would be best to post this so maybe it's ok here. Story is, a small group of us have been playing in a local sports hall the last few years, once a week. Before we could play, they said we needed a public liability policy to be allowed use the hall, so we got one and it was affordable the first few years, then last year it went up and now this year again it went up.

The thing is, I think management changed in the sports hall, an before they'd ask to see the renewed policy each yet, but we haven't been asked to show it once in the last few years. We're thinking not to renew the policy and just wondering what, if anything could this mean if anything was to happen.

Honestly, I haven't a notion what the actual point of the policy is. I think it's just to protect the sports hall, as opposed to protect us. Like if there were any injuries etc, the injured person would need their own insurance policy to cover them. I think this public liability one is only of benefit to the hall, so if they aren't asking for it anymore, then we don't particularly wanna pay the extortionate rate the policy has gone up to. If they then ask for it at some stage down the line, we can get one then, but for now, thiking just to leave it.

HAs anyone else been through this and what would ye suggest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If you can trust everyone of your teammates and their partners, not to make a claim, even if one of you is at fault then don’t bother.

If one of your teammates was injured and couldn’t work for say, six months. Are you all going to chip in to pay his mortgage and bills?

PL Insurance is there for reason, to stop you being personally liable.

Shop around for a cheaper quote, maybe up the excess. Try www.bizbroker.ie, they’ve always been able to beat any quote i’ve had for PL insurance. No affiliation but I should be on commission the amount of times I’ve recommended them here! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭NeptunesMoon

Thanks for the reply!

If someone did get injured, who exactly would they be hoping to claim off anyway? Injuries do happen from time to time, given it's a sport, nothing ever too severe.

I'm still confused, if PL and personal accident are two different types of policies, then what exactly does PL do? Just cover those without personal accident policies??

Thanks for the reply!

If someone did get injured, who exactly would they be hoping to claim off anyway? Injuries do happen from time to time, given it's a sport, nothing ever too severe.

I'm still confused, if PL and personal accident are two different types of policies, then what exactly does PL do? Just cover those without personal accident policies??

This is 2018, where unfortunately personal risk/responsibility has been replaced with somebody, somewhere is responsible for my failings. It’s an accident, but because it happened on your time/premises, it’s your responsibility.

I know my sons’ rugby club has insurance but it’s for catastrophic injury only eg loss of limb, permanent disablement etc.

Talk to a broker, explain your situation and hear what they have to say.

thanks, who's responsibility is it though? I mean, it's just a few people getting together and having the booking under "X night ball group" for example, there's no club or organisation, literally just whoever shows up, throws a few quid in to pay the hall and then we're on our way.

thanks, who's responsibility is it though? I mean, it's just a few people getting together and having the booking under "X night ball group" for example, there's no club or organisation, literally just whoever shows up, throws a few quid in to pay the hall and then we're on our way.

The venue will tell you. I doubt, if they have their heads screwed on, it will be them.

• Advertisement

Cheers.. I can't really imagine any individual being held legally responsible for somebody else's catastrophic injury just because they send a message around every week to see who can play and then everyone pools their money together to pay the few quid to the hall.

The rise of the cost of insurance has now pushed it to be worth the peace of mind "just incase"t here is some legal ****e where somehow someone will be responsible for someobody else's misfortune, but now because it's so ambiguous to what scenarios or incidents it actually covers, compare to not having it, and with the increased cost, it just seems like a waste of money if the hall aren't asking for it anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Does the sports hall charge you for use? Do they have public liability insurance? It would seem strange that they would be asking their patrons to get their own if it was someone subletting and running a business such as weight watchers or dance then I could see why, but not people who are using the hall.

Ask to speak to the events committee or whoever to discuss requirements. In our local, a group does samba upstairs on a Tuesday and they use the pubs insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

I can't really imagine any individual being held legally responsible for somebody else's catastrophic injury

Example scenario: Lad A slide tackles into Lad B causing leg or spinal injury requiring surgery, extensive rehab and resulting loss of earnings. Lad B sues Lad A. As others have mentioned, taking part in an activity that you accept may potentially cause you injury (personal risk/responsibility) doesn't seem to apply any more and if it was to go in front of a judge, an award would be made.

The sports hall are insisting on this as likely their insurer requires it to limit their exposure to any claim.

Advertisement