Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TescoMobile launch 4G

• 30-08-2018 9:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,672 ✭✭✭✭

TescoMobile launch 4G

Top up by €15
    28 days of unlimited calls to any network
    Unlimited TM to TM texts
    15GB of 4G data and once-off €5 bonus credit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Don't be fooled. They have major network issues. Look at their talk to Tesco forum here on boards. People dropping off the network constantly and tesco unwilling to admit any issues. Steer clear.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The new plan takes the 15 top up and leaves 5. It's worded in such a way that some thought you end up with 20 but you don't, you have 5 left and that is also gone after 28 days are up.

Still, it's the cheapest for 4G data and calls but check coverage before opting in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Don't be fooled. They have major network issues. Look at their talk to Tesco forum here on boards. People dropping off the network constantly and tesco unwilling to admit any issues. Steer clear.

This - have a look through the threads here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1542

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,672 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Did not see this comment before
    [URL="[url]https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/107938574[/url]"]So 4G = up to 10x faster.. and up to 66% more expensive than the 3G plan[/URL]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm with them years without issue, and they're on 3's network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Hurrache wrote: »
    I'm with them years without issue, and they're on 3's network.

You must be one of the lucky ones. My wife is leaving them due to endless issues. She has to pay half price of the remainder of the contract though. As she doesn't have the phone they provided originally she cannot get them to "check" it so it leaves her with little leverage.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

You must be one of the lucky ones

I wouldn't think so, I imagine the majority of their customer base have no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Tesco sucks try Vodafone data user plan or even Vodafone x plan

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057850162

They're unfortunately the only option for anyone who uses data with any regularity or needs to rely on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭morgana

I've been with Tesco Billpay since forever (on a cheap legacy plan with 1 Gig of data and plenty of texts/minutes - i'd be absolutely mad to change now) and have had my issues with them over the years especially regarding roaming - although this years stay abroad went ok but getting the network back when back home took a bit, lol).
    Coverage and speed was soso where I live in the sticks but now with 4G I'm flying (tested yesterday and got 52 mbps down and 20 or so up iirc). So I would wait before damning it right away it might just be a different beast now.

Tesco use 3 which is terrible reception wise and so many black spots in cork I had to ditch them

So it's not an issue with Tesco, rather a general coverage issue with 3 where you live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Seems I am already on their Simply prepay plan for 4G but 4G won't be added to my account until I next top up by €15... which is not scheduled to happen for 3 more weeks.... and I have more than €30 in credit right now and they cannot take it from that.... so so silly.

Like many above I have found their 3G to be pure ****e. I was on virgin's 4G for a while and it was unreal (and they are on 3 network too right?). You get wot u pay for really... with Tesco.

So it's not an issue with Tesco, rather a general coverage issue with 3 where you live.
    Tesco are using the 3 network. It's an issue with Tesco.

But not specific to them. It's disingenuous to say Tesco are **** just because someone lives in a poor coverage area that's affecting more than one network. Next town over could have poor Vodafone coverage, doesn't mean Vodafone are **** either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Next town over could have poor Vodafone coverage...

Bet it doesn't. :pac:

But not specific to them. It's disingenuous to say Tesco are **** just because someone lives in a poor coverage area that's affecting more than one network. Next town over could have poor Vodafone coverage, doesn't mean Vodafone are **** either.

The 3 network (and Tesco by association) has a worse coverage offering than the Vodafone network across the island. I was on Tesco for years persevering and enjoying the cheap rates but making the switch to Vodafone was a lifesaver and is well worth the extra cost (actually cheaper now because I'm on an X package). I split my time between proper sticks, rural town and Dublin, Vodafone is ubiquitously better for me in these locations and inbetween.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Leslie91 wrote: »

Like many above I have found their 3G to be pure ****e. I was on virgin's 4G for a while and it was unreal (and they are on 3 network too right?). You get wot u pay for really... with Tesco.

3G on any network is pure ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Tippex

Nope it’s not an issue with 3 I’ve tried 3 o2 and Tesco mobile and they all suck in various parts of cork Galway and Sligo
    Data user plan or Vodafone x is better coverage

you do know that they are all the same network now since 3 bought o2.
    So those 3 operators you mention are all on the same 3 network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

This thread made me look as to when I first got 4G, it was in 2013 when Meteor launched it. Welcome to 2013 Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 akurat

I have moved to Ireland 6 months ago, got Tesco Mobile pay as you go plan and it was the worst experience I have ever had with mobile network provider. Just horrible reception, network constantly disconnecting, useless mobile data... It gives you 15GB, but you can't even use them, because speeds are so slow and constantly disconnecting. Anyway, few months later I switched to Vodafone, it doesn't matter where you live, network coverage is perfect! It was the best decision to switch! Mobile data is so much more reliable and faster as well. Totally worth to pay 5 EUR extra...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Wouldn't touch tesco with somebody else's.
    Customer care is useless, coverage is useless - roaming is expensive and I am convinced they breach the Eu roaming agreements.
    Also they are known to cut customers off for "security" reasons with no notice and no explanation while abroad. You then have to pay them to get reconnected by purchasing a new sim from a tesco store.

Avoid at all costs.

• Advertisement

hots wrote: »
    I split my time between proper sticks, rural town and Dublin, Vodafone is ubiquitously better for me in these locations and inbetween.

Yes, I agree, and it's my point. It's all down to your personal situation. Living in a city I can go with anyone, but once I go home to rural Ireland and out for the evening there's a stack of phones lined up against the window of the local pub as it's the only place in the pub to get any sort of signal, and it's all the networks too.

If you look at the Vodafone and Three forum, you'd believe there's nothing but issues there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

I've been with all the major carriers over the years and I found Vodafone the worst in terms of customer service. There's no doubt that across the country they offer the most consistent coverage. However, in my area Tesco is outperforming the speeds I get with Vodafone, and I can even use my hotspot to watch TV and for online gaming. It really does depend on the particular area you live!

Yes, I agree, and it's my point. It's all down to your personal situation. Living in a city I can go with anyone, but once I go home to rural Ireland and out for the evening there's a stack of phones lined up against the window of the local pub as it's the only place in the pub to get any sort of signal, and it's all the networks too.

If you look at the Vodafone and Three forum, you'd believe there's nothing but issues there too.

Vodafone are the best in the country overall by a long way though. The only reason you should be considering another network is if you're very cost-sensitive, don't need to rely on consistent coverage or if you're in one of the very unusual spots in the country were you are limited to only one of the other providers.

This is especially true in Dublin btw, the 3 network has blackspots slap bang in the middle of the city around Tara St, Fairview, Harcourt St to name but a few. Vodafone doesn't have this.

https://www.bonkers.ie/blog/broadband-phone/which-mobile-provider-has-the-best-coverage-in-your-area/ Good article here, essentially Vodafone>rest but still not perfect or cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

in dublin city tesco coverage is fine. speeds are okay, price is better than vodafone.

i agree that for a cost sensitive person its well worth investigating.

im with them (i pay the cost) years PAYG and have no plans to move. cannot comment on coverage throughout country, but then that doesn't affect me.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Flashdan

My wife and I are with Tesco and we have loads of problems with them with signal dropping out all the time. I work and live in Dublin so I thought coverage would be ok.

When I use my Eir work mobile the difference in quality is night and day, Eir is so clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

The amount of hassle i had with these idiots, I wouldn't joint them if it was a fiver a month for 1 Tb, constantly ringing me that the direct debit failed( loads of cash in the account ).
    It was my Mrs phone and she kept getting cut off, no incoming or outgoing calls, apparently i had to ring them to take the money from the account again. **** off, it's a monthly DD, if I wanted prepaid i would have chosen that, idiots, grief from them and from the wife.

Not worth the hassle...if it's for the wife, or just sanity :)

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

Like I said, the most vociferous are those with problems, you rarely hear from those with no issues. Take a look at the first page of the Vodafone Talk to forum, issues all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I've just ordered a SIM for the Vodafone deal people are raving about in the bargains forum.
    Leaving Tesco before I hop my phone off the wall with frustration over the crappy network/dropped calls/no mobile data.
    Pull up your socks Tesco!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭cathy427

Lots of criticism for tesco and praise for vodafone.

Then when you click into the linked vodafone bargain thread loads of criticism about vodafone, how long it takes, how the the staff dont know of the offer and indeed how its not really an offer because its not openly available!

My experience - with vodafone for years no problems.

With tesco mobile for last few years. No problems, am in Galway/Limerick area with sojourns to South and North Tipp - never lost signal/ dropped a call etc.

(With tesco - I signed up for a 3g service and therefore was not shocked when I didn't get a 4g service!! )

The 4g offer from Tesco is only out this week so I would expect the same sort of teething problems that are in the long vodafone thread.
    The 4g from Tesco simply isn't around long enough to properly assess its quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭rom

I live in Cork urban area and its a new house. No reception on 3 etc so we both had to move to vodafone. Work want me to have a phone on call on 3. I am telling them its pointless as I won't be contactable on 3 due to its reception. Its not a problem where I live.

Sadly vodafone have a monopoly on good phone coverage. The only other company using their network is

https://postmobile.ie/product/all-in/ 20 euro, more data than vodafone but limited calls and text. Still not a bad plan compared to vodafone 30 day one.

but you may have to deal with this crap https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057466784

and they only over 3g lol. Ireland and its cartels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Vodafone are great in the populatiin centres but there are loads of vodafone blackspots in west and south of ireland. I have to carry a three dongle for work purposes to cover the blackspots. Most of these areas that wre uneconomical to cover were covered under national broadband scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Hurrache wrote:
    I wouldn't think so, I imagine the majority of their customer base have no issues.

😂🀣 I don't know how you can make that statement. I need to get my family off it because coverage is so bad! Constantly dropping network on 5 different phones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭bromley52

Vodafone are great in the populatiin centres but there are loads of vodafone blackspots in west and south of ireland. I have to carry a three dongle for work purposes to cover the blackspots. Most of these areas that wre uneconomical to cover were covered under national broadband scheme.

True. Skibbereen for example supposedly has Vodafone 1GB broadband yet has very poor Vodafone mobile reception.

I definitely wasn't backing up Vodafone support or CS btw, they're a bunch of cretins and in fairness to Tesco they were always grand to deal with, it's literally only coverage that it the saving grace for Vodafone. These days your best best is to grab a disposable PAYG sim and just try it out for your area. Between the new data plan and the weekend X deals Vodafone can be fairly competitive on price if you're willing to put in a bit of effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Bet it doesn't. :pac:

Correct
    Only time I’ve lost signal on Vodafone was crossing the Irish Sea on the ferry
    Been with, meteor,eir, Tesco,all vvv sub standard, VF are tops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

My wife and I have been with Tesco for quite a while now, excellent value for us and service has never been much of an issue. Data coverage has definitely improved quite a bit over the years, noticeable when travelling around the country where areas where I used to notice no data now have data. It's not perfect, but given the lucrative clubcard deals offers, no other provider can provide anything comparable for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    My wife and I have been with Tesco for quite a while now, excellent value for us and service has never been much of an issue. Data coverage has definitely improved quite a bit over the years, noticeable when travelling around the country where areas where I used to notice no data now have data. It's not perfect, but given the lucrative clubcard deals offers, no other provider can provide anything comparable for us.
    Not for me, vodaphone are steady in every state and part of Ireland I've been in,,,Tesco was crap even in parts of Douglas ,cork city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Another day of coverage dropping and texts failing to send.
    My weary heart is broken from this Tesco 'network'.
    I gave my Vodafone SIM ordered for next week and I'm just trying to use up the last of the credit I have (when coverage let's me) then it's ciao adios I'm gone.

Edit- never let it be said that I don't fess up.
    I figured our that the reason my texts won't go through today is because the credit I am trying to use up had expired.
    However, I am still leaving Tesco as the constant loss of coverage/data is driving me bonkers.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭positron

Tesco network quality is poor. Severely poor.

There are two things going for Tesco - One is cheap international call rates - rates similar to lycamobile or other call cards if you want to call outside Europe (except UK strangely). Two is the fact that you can take your €5 worth of clubcard vouchers and get €15 euro top up code - which is free calls + 10 (?) gb data for a month. And you still have €15 to call overseas. That's the only reason I am putting up with Tesco - for the time being anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Been with Tesco for about 7 or 8 years maybe. The odd problem but in the main I can't really complain. 4g never much of an issue for me as I'm nearly always on Wi-Fi and don't surf when I'm out really. I top up by 20 and get 20 free for a month. Normally have 6 or 7 of the free credit left by the end of the month, meaning I only top up about 5 times in the year, 100 ish, not sure I could get better elsewhere. In Cork and signal is fine.
    Have Vodafone landline and broadband and have gone through about 6 routers in 3 years, awful altogether. Their customer service is atrocious when I have had to deal with them. They charged me for not returning a router 3 times, but never informed me they were doing so. Got the money back after further hassle as the Vodafone shop I returned them Each time just threw them in a press without logging them.

There is no perfect provider. They each will have offers that might suit some people but not others. Some will have hassle while others are lucky and can be hassle free.

Its great that they now have 4g, a joke that they took so long, but it won't be long till it gets congested and more problems will arise. Ironically, 3g might actually get better with less traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I am using tesco prepay where I recharge with 15 euros every month and get to keep all the credit.

I am wondering if it's good idea to switch to new plan with 4g? But you don't get to keep your left over credits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I am using tesco prepay where I recharge with 15 euros every month and get to keep all the credit.

I am wondering if it's good idea to switch to new plan with 4g? But you don't get to keep your left over credits.

I reckon it depends on how important 4g is to you.

Their 3G isn't really a proper 3G, I wonder if it's the same case with 4G
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I reckon it depends on how important 4g is to you.

Their 3G isn't really a proper 3G, I wonder if it's the same case with 4G

I've read that people seem happy with the speeds, but others aren't. It is fluctuating too much apparently. It could get congested aswell, so its hard to say. But if you change to 4g you cannot change back apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭con___manx1

im on tesco the last 18 months top up by 15 quid free calls texts and 10gb of data. i dont have many network issues to be honest.

Thanks for the heads up
    ShamoBuc wrote: »

I've read that people seem happy with the speeds, but others aren't. It is fluctuating too much apparently. It could get congested aswell, so its hard to say. But if you change to 4g you cannot change back apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

There's no guarantee of 4G either, at peak times you might be shoved on to 3G.
    If you do a network search and don't see Three 4G as an option then you're out of range so no point opting for 4G plan.

If you want to try it for a month, then get a new SIM, then you can go back to your current SIM if not happy with new plan. Don't opt in on your current SIM unless you're sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Like I said, the most vociferous are those with problems, you rarely hear from those with no issues. Take a look at the first page of the Vodafone Talk to forum, issues all round.

I've was with Tesco for about a year, recommended them to people a few times, they've been fine apart from the lack of 4G, but I've just had to switch.

It's not a poor coverage area issue - I'm still using it around the centre of Dublin in the same areas I have been for the past year, but over the last couple of months there's been increasing issues with appearing connected to the network, and having data OK, but calls and texts not working. People trying to call get a recording saying the phone is off, texts don't come through. You only know about it if you try to send an outbound text and you notice the brief toast message saying 'couldn't be delivered'.
    I actually thought it was my phone acting up until I found loads of people on Boards with the same issue, it's literally become unusable.

I wouldn't be rushijng to recommend Vodafone, had abysmal customer care issues and overcharging with them before, and that was on a business plan. Ironically, I switched to Three last week and phone has been fine since. Data coverage can be a bit spotty but there's been no dropping off on the voice/text connection.

So it's definitely a widespread issue with Tesco's MVNO operation, rather than the Three network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

MOH wrote: »

I've was with Tesco for about a year, recommended them to people a few times, they've been fine apart from the lack of 4G, but I've just had to switch.

It's not a poor coverage area issue - I'm still using it around the centre of Dublin in the same areas I have been for the past year, but over the last couple of months there's been increasing issues with appearing connected to the network, and having data OK, but calls and texts not working. People trying to call get a recording saying the phone is off, texts don't come through. You only know about it if you try to send an outbound text and you notice the brief toast message saying 'couldn't be delivered'.
    I actually thought it was my phone acting up until I found loads of people on Boards with the same issue, it's literally become unusable.

I wouldn't be rushijng to recommend Vodafone, had abysmal customer care issues and overcharging with them before, and that was on a business plan. Ironically, I switched to Three last week and phone has been fine since. Data coverage can be a bit spotty but there's been no dropping off on the voice/text connection.

So it's definitely a widespread issue with Tesco's MVNO operation, rather than the Three network.

Had this same issue at work for about a month or so. Over the weekend I spotted something on a thread here about the dropped calls/texts. Changed some settings and everything working find since. Fingers crossed it stays that way. You'll find the fix on the tesco talk to fourm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JimPa

I see friends scrimping to get the best network provider and you really do get what you pay for. Everyone one of them will agree that Vodafone is better but they save 5 quid or so a month by going cheap. The same lads will walk into a shop and buy a chicken roll or even a can of Monster or some crap for a few euro and think nothing of it. They go around then for a month with their phones in their hands complaining of poor reception for the sake of a fiver over 28 days? I don't get it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement