Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do smokers actually use the ashtrays in their cars?

• 30-08-2018 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

Or do they all just flick their shít out the window once they're done like I see everyday coming and going from work? :confused:

They wouldn't throw anything else out the window, why do cigarette butts get a pass? Things like this tend to drive me mad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Or do they all just flick their shít out the window once they're done like I see everyday coming and going from work? :confused:

They wouldn't throw anything else out the window, why do cigarette butts get a pass? Things like this tend to drive me mad.

Nice pun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

When I smoked in my cars I did. That's why it's there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

they don't have ashtrays in cars anymore.....least not cars i've had over recent years anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

When I used to smoke, out the window. Part reason, as mentioned, cars don't have ashtrays anymore. But also I used to think a cigarette is just paper, tobacco and the filter is just some kind of fibrous, natural material that will biodegrade. Also, have you ever smelt a car with overflowing ashtrays? Hmmhhh, nice! Especially if it's been standing in the hot sun.
    A quick google just now shows me the filter is made from plastic.
    For me the problem has solved itself, I quit smoking around 2013/14 (not exactly sure now) and bar a few months in 2016 followed by some vaping into 2017, I have been completely smoke free and will definitely remain that way.
    Now to get the wife to quit. It's a balancing act. If I nag to much the wife will quit...me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

they don't have ashtrays in cars anymore.....least not cars i've had over recent years anyway!
    True enough. At best they're an added option. Not like the past. I do remember when the revamped VW Beetle first came out and it was the first car I remember that specifically didn't have an ashtray. Instead it had a vase for a flower. Eh...

My Da had a Ford Capri which had a proper oul ashtray.

image3.jpg?w=840&h=921

A bakelite shrine to tobacco. :D it also had two ashtrays in the back for rear passengers. I remember getting into a car in the early 80's can't remember what it was, but I do remember it had the central ashtray up front, another(and a lighter) in the rear of the centre console in back and one in each one of the four doors. My car has one in front and one in back, but it is 20 years old to be fair.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

They are just flicking them at their mirror.

6tkzbib7m2g11.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I don't smoke, and I ride a motorbike.. Its a BMW motorbike so if I smoked and wanted an ash tray it would be a BMW optional add on and cost a fortune.

Don't know where it would go, handlebars or the tank I guess.

As long as I've been a smoker, I've never liked smoking in the car. I find quite a lot of smokers are similar to myself in this. We tend to have the vape for the car, and if we want a smoke, we'll stop somewhere and step outside the car to light up.

Just as I step outside my backdoor to smoke, and won't smoke in my home except very rarely (if I'm getting high). Even when I have friends over who smoke, I'll have them smoke outside.

Not all smokers are lazy gits about their habit. Many are, but not all of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I remember ashtrays on plane seats. And the stewardess would snootily pull over the tiny curtains above the seats half way down to protect the non-smokers from the forest fire up front :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Used to have a customer that always had their ashtray full so used the pocket when you lift you the arm rest. The car was disgusting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Smokers have the right to discard their cigarette butts wherever they want.

So it seems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

They do it because cigarette butts are small, and they can get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭xabi

I don't smoke, and I ride a motorbike.. Its a BMW motorbike so if I smoked and wanted an ash tray it would be a BMW optional add on and cost a fortune.

As useful as an ashtray on a motorbike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

thebull85 wrote: »
    They do it because cigarette butts are small, and they can get away with it. are disgusting, subhuman animals
    FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

seamus wrote: »
    FYP.

Bit harsh.

thebull85 wrote: »
    They do it because cigarette butts are small, and they can get away with it.

It's odd but there seems to be this impression that only smokers are dropping crap everywhere.

Look along the side of most roads and you'll find all manner of rubbish that has been dropped by passing cars. TBF people are messy ****ers and you'll find people dropping all manner of crap when they think they can get away with it.

My own pet hate are the people who walk around or exercise with their pets, who allow their pets to **** all over the place. Sure, some people tidy up after their pet(s), but not that many it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You can never get the stink of ciggies out of a car.
    Gack. Awful smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I drive a motorbike and can confirm they do throw their butts out the window.

They would and they do, I've seen all kinds of shite thrown out car windows and have had all kinds of shite thrown out windows at me.

Apparently it comes with a chocolate teapot.

It's odd but there seems to be this impression that only smokers are dropping crap everywhere.

Look along the side of most roads and you'll find all manner of rubbish that has been dropped by passing cars. TBF people are messy ****ers and you'll find people dropping all manner of crap when they think they can get away with it.

My own pet hate are the people who walk around or exercise with their pets, who allow their pets to **** all over the place. Sure, some people tidy up after their pet(s), but not that many it seems.

I walk my dog (who I clean up after) around Sandycove point most evenings and in the summer the mess is shocking. Even in the winter though you still get cars that rock up to get the view whilst eating their McDonald’s and just **** the rubbish out of the window.

Its pretty sickening how little respect some people have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I think most people now clean up after their dog. It's the dogs wandering around on their own are usually the culprits

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I thought they stubbed out the fags on passing cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

I smoke and not regular in the car but for a reason of non smokers travelling in my car and they don't want the smoke in the car, I keep it out the window as I'm trying to keep them comfortable due to a stupid thing I'm addicted to. Now I'm hearing their is folks in their 2.5 litre cars driving behind me moaning I put it out the window.

I have a question for the non smoking community. What else do you do with your time?

And on top of that, do you all drive tesla's with your green carbon footprint ?

I'm not saying my way is correct but I am saying, have a look in the mirror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭blackbox

A lot of them throw the cellophane wrapper and the empty box out the window too. Scumbags.

I sometimes wonder if the people who throw chip bags out the window are smokers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't think anyone's saying that, but there does seem to be an impression among smokers that cigarettes should get a pass when it comes to littering. Stand out in any smoking area in any pub, or on the street outside the door and there are butts everywhere. Even if there's an ashtray within arm's length, the butt gets flicked away or stamped on.

Stand there and watch them, it's 90%+ of smokers.

The concept of stubbing it out and putting it in a bin seems completely alien to smokers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bit harsh.

Not really. Straight in to the same box with any other litterer. (though the smokers are heading towards their big boxes a bit quicker :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

People still smoke? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Ash goes out the window. the butt goes in a coffee cup.

Car doesn't have an ashtray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

nothing adversities being back in Ireland than seeing a driver in front of you flicking a ciggie butt out the window

its lazy & ignorant, really gets my back up:mad: i wonder do unmarked garda cars do anything about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

blackbox wrote: »
    A lot of them throw the cellophane wrapper and the empty box out the window too. Scumbags.

I sometimes wonder if the people who throw chip bags out the window are smokers.

Most of them will have an irish flag tattooed on their arm with an Ireland jersey on and will regale you with stories about how ireland is the greatest country in the world....even though the reality to them is that they use it as one giant bin.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Most of them will have an irish flag tattooed on their arm with an Ireland jersey on and will regale you with stories about how ireland is the greatest country in the world....even though the reality to them is that they use it as one giant bin.

:D What planet do you live on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

mfceiling wrote: »

They all holiday in Santa Ponsa and hang out at the Irish Bar drinking Magners and watching Man U while saying 'we' all the time. Normally smoke Johnny Blue but bring back Mayfair from the Duty Free.

Am I doing this right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I usually get one of the kids to cup their hands and use that for the ash ,butt gets flicked out the window usually in the direction of someone driving a softtop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Patww79 wrote: »
    Ash goes out the window. the butt goes in a coffee cup.

Car doesn't have an ashtray.

Just don't absentmindedly take a sip...

Just don't absentmindedly take a sip...

I try to keep the coffee to the front and the butt cup to the back but it has happened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement