Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does my employer has the right to search my Car?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What builders providers do this. If never seen it in any I have been.

Davis in Harmonstown. Chadwicks. Heaton Buckley & many more. Pretty much anyway they have a security on the gate are supposed to be doing this. If the security isn't checking he's not doing his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    What builders providers do this. If never seen it in any I have been.

Davis in Harmonstown. Chadwicks. Heaton Buckley & many more. Pretty much anyway they have a security on the gate are supposed to be doing this. If the security isn't checking he's not doing his job.
    Can confirm, my car was inspected any time leaving Heiton Buckleys in Bray, as a customer. Although it depends if you drive out from the customer parking, or the yard at the back - the yard at the back seems more intensely scrutinised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Sleeper12 wrote: »

it must be a big city thing. its years since iv seen security down the country. .

what happens if you refuse. they cant stop you leaving. and you havnt stolen anything until you have left.

they would need proof that you put the item into your vehicle. having it in there wouldnt be enough.

what happens if you refuse. they cant stop you leaving. and you havnt stolen anything until you have left.

Last time I was in chadwicks coolock there was a barrier that wasn't lifted till van was searched.

I doubt they can legally stop you leaving without a search

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

your vehicle is private property, they have no right to search it unless its used for work purposes or is brought on to the work property, if its left in the staff car park i'm sure they have a sign that reads the management accepts no responsibility for any damage done to your vehicle etc... this means you are responsible for your own vehicle and this works both ways which means they have no right to search it unless they get a warrant on reasonable grounds to believe you have stolen from them...

To be honest if i were you I would seriously consider getting a new job, i thinks is appalling that an employer would see fit to search an employees vehicle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I think an issue here is the word "search"

In the scenarios of Guinness and Chadwicks etc given, the guard can look in the booth or van to ensure that any goods tally with the docket

in neither situation can the guards search your car (e.g. look in glove box or go through personal belongings)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

An employee situation is a lot trickier you have to think about your job.

I wouldn't let a shop look in my van purely on principle. They are accusing you of stealing.

Unless the y have evidence then any search is a waste if time. A lot of serial number s wouldn't be unique enough to say that was next in line on the pallet.

I have often bought stuff in one shop then went to another 10 min later and bought more if the hadn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

Searching employees' cars is not that unusual - I've seen it happening in a number of places over the years! Usually a look into the boot as the car exits the security barrier as somebody described earlier. I wouldn't have a problem as long as everybody's car was getting the same treatment! You're not obliged to arrive in a car or to park it on the employers premises!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

APMagic wrote: »
    One of HR pushed their luck by searching a bag without anyone being there.

Ask this person in HR will their car be searched also? Yeah they work in an office but they can easily stroll to storerooms too

I'd imagine prison officers would be subject to random searches to ensure that they are not bringing in contraband

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Have a ski mask, an imitation firearm and some cable ties in your boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,973 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, just catch the bus or park elsewhere. Your type of workplace is high-risk for employee theft, and employers who want to stay in business put in place controls to discourage and detect it. If they didn't, then you'd likely be out of a job.

Advertisement