Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bearings?

Options
  • 30-08-2018 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Find myself in a position where I need to get both the steering head bearings and rear wheel bearings done on the Fazer ......going have to put one off for now and get 1 done, any opinions on which would be the more crucial to get done first

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyway mechanical yourself, you could do the rear ones in an hour.

and pay for the headers to be done by someone.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wheel bearings would be the more important of the two.
    You don't want them collapsing on you.
    Have you tried tightening the headstock ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Yeah tried tightening then loosening, definitely shot (and was told as much without asking when getting a new front tire) .......the rear ones only went recently, could hear that loud clacking sound (I know the sound coz the front ones went a year ago) .....I could do those myself I reckon, it's about 40 euros for the bearing I believe .......I know the head set is 150 all in to get done because of the time it takes .........so you reckon the wheel bearings would be asap ones/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Yeah tried tightening then loosening, definitely shot (and was told as much without asking when getting a new front tire) .......the rear ones only went recently, could hear that loud clacking sound (I know the sound coz the front ones went a year ago) .....I could do those myself I reckon, it's about 40 euros for the bearing I believe .......I know the head set is 150 all in to get done because of the time it takes .........so you reckon the wheel bearings would be asap ones/

Definitely, the wheel bearing collapsing can have dire consequences, the steering bearings are just notchy and bad feeling.

Was told at a shop the bearings on the sprocket hub are different to the other 2 and would cost about 100 euro total.... on a 99 Fazer 600? is that correct .....seen the 3 bearings and seal caps on ebay for about 40

• Advertisement

Was told at a shop the bearings on the sprocket hub are different to the other 2 and would cost about 100 euro total.... on a 99 Fazer 600? is that correct .....seen the 3 bearings and seal caps on ebay for about 40

These are good bearings.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162740846931

Use Parcel Wizard/Address Pal/Parcel Motel and delivery will cost you under €4.

blade1 wrote: »
    These are good bearings.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162740846931

Use Parcel Wizard/Address Pal/Parcel Motel and delivery will cost you under €4.

Will look at that.....so I don't need a 'special' bearing on the sprocket side

Will look at that.....so I don't need a 'special' bearing on the sprocket side

Well it is different but there is nothing special about it. Just a bearing.
    Do you know how to change them?
    Put the new ones in the freezer overnight before fitting them.
    They'll go in easy enough then using a socket on the other edge and tap with a hammer.

blade1 wrote: »
    Well it is different but there is nothing special about it. Just a bearing.
    Do you know how to change them?
    Put the new ones in the freezer overnight before fitting them.
    They'll go in easy enough then using a socket on the other edge and tap with a hammer.

Never done before....but watching Delboys garage on utube he covered wheel bearings .....doesn't look complicated, he uses the old bearing to help tap them in

Never done before....but watching Delboys garage on utube he covered wheel bearings .....doesn't look complicated, he uses the old bearing to help tap them in

Straight forward alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement