Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R/TIST IN THE SPOTLIGHT - Murph_D

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Singer wrote: »
    Thanks for the excellent answers :)

All those interview skills I've gotten through work finally come in useful. Next, could you tell me about a time you were working on a project that wasn't going well? :pac:

Let's leave that one for the pub sometime!

How were they cooked?

That reminds me of this recipe that I came across this year, which is as simple as you can get (though time is an essential ingredient, it simply can't be rushed) and is utterly amazing: https://www.thekitchn.com/marcella-hazans-amazing-4ingre-144538

Cheers, I'll check out that recipe. The dish I'm talking about wasn't cooked at all. Just a plate of sliced raw onion and sliced tomatoes. The earth around Vesuvius is renowned for exceptional tomato flavour, even by Italian standards. Served with olive oil and salt and pepper. That's it!

aquinn wrote: »
    Morning,

NY will be your second US marathon. As a former resident you wouldn't extend your stay and go on holidays or you prefer Europe as a destination?

Unfortunately this time I have to be back for work! Life was much easier as a student. But if I had the time, yes, I would extend and I would just try to stay in NYC a bit longer as I love the city and I'd like to get to know it again and see how many of the old haunts are still there.
    What's the NY marathon target actually, a tourist run or racing it?

Right now it's a relatively brisk steady tourist run, around 3:30-3:35 hopefully. If I was racing I'd be aiming for 3:20-3:25. Hopefully I'll get enough training in or that target - if I have to readjust I'd still like to do better than Boston (3:44).
    Does A really drive the smart car to Donegal and not moan about the horrific journey?

Haha. I don't know how many times she's driven it up there - if at all - but I've done it a good few times and it's a comfortable journey. The Smart is much roomier than it looks from the outside. Very hard suspension though, but the roads are good (mostly, as you know well yourself).
    Favourite pacing gig to date? Any race/person you would like to pace?

Pacing DCM was really enjoyable. If I ever do it again I'd like to be going a bit faster, however. 4 hours, if Olwyn ever retires! And I always enjoy the St. Anne's 24-min slot, although sometimes there doesn't seem to be anyone following. You can make an eejit of yourself trying to encourage people who are really faster runners just out for a jog or a recovery, so it's always better if someone chasing a time identifies themselves and you can keep an eye on them.

[Edit - second most embarrassing moment - running into a tree during a 23-min pacing gig in St. Anne's. Took a long time to live that one down.]

As far as unofficial pacing gigs go, I really enjoyed the FD the other day. 10m is challenging to pace at the clip we were going at. Well done again!
    Would you do another Ultra? Donadea again or anything else on the list?

I have a deferred entry for Donadea 2019 - that reminds me to send in the entry! Might not be racing it though as I could well be targeting a fast spring marathon. Would like to try a sub-4 50k one day. Don't think I'd go any longer than that.
    Flat or hilly course for a challenge in a race. Do you shy away from difficult courses if you can't get a PB or do it for an experience.

Great question.

I don't shy away from hilly courses - didn't I do Fat Turkey last year! I really enjoyed it and it's a completely different challenge. It's actually quite liberating to be able to ignore PB and focus on doing a good time for the course. I set myself a 45 min target for Fat Turkey and had to work very hard to come in a few seconds under and it was probably one of my best races of the year.

But obviously if looking for a PB it makes sense to choose a PB course - like Charleville for instance.
    When are we coming over for your lasanga again?

Isn't it your turn? :pac:
    Ever go skiing or not and regret it?

Yes, once, when living in the US. Somewhere in Pennsylvania. I loved it but never got around to it again. Wouldn't do it now - far too likely to do some damage! ;)
    Why don't you like hiking?

Well I don't hate it, and I quite enjoy once I've got started, but I'd rather be running. Mountain/trail running is obviously the compromise!

Thanks, A.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I loved that series. Have you read this article? It’s an interesting take on it. https://villagemagazine.ie/index.php/2018/07/did-gardai-target-bailey-to-shield-sophies-killer-by-gemma-odoherty/

Had a look at that. Interesting - not a fan of the writer though, or her presidential ambitions! She seems to be a bit of a conspiracy theorist. No doubt there are some questions to be answered about the investigation all the same, but I'd like to know more about where she is getting all these 'allegations', and what actual evidence she has seen.

Always like reading about this case though - it was very shocking at the time.

Last day or two of this, so keep them coming!

Next victim lined up also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Murph_D wrote: »
    Had a look at that. Interesting - not a fan of the writer though, or her presidential ambitions! She seems to be a bit of a conspiracy theorist. No doubt there are some questions to be answered about the investigation all the same, but I'd like to know more about where she is getting all these 'allegations', and what actual evidence she has seen.

Always like reading about this case though - it was very shocking at the time.

Yes, very interesting case. I’m friendly with a local girl and this article would be more along the lines of what the locals believe apparently. I don’t suppose we’ll ever find out the truth though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Hmm, I started reading it last night. It's a bit weird and kind of feels like a reading a slow car crash.

I finished the thread last night, the car definitely crashed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Enjoying this thread, will pop a few q’s in here...

1. If you could relive one race again, which one would it be. What would you do differently?

2. Do you have a mantra or particular thought that goes through your head during a hard race or session?

3. I think you have a few years on me, what have you done to ensure your consistent improvements over a variety of distances?

4. Changing mode this year from longer distance stuff to proper fast/shorter stuff have been a key aspect for you this year. Did you find it hard to leave the marathon type training behind or do you hope/expect to make some gains on the long stuff from what you’ve done on the fast stuff.

5. What would be your death row final meal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I finished the thread last night, the car definitely crashed!

Sssshhhh!!!!!

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

A good read so far man.

You manage to acquire a younger clone of yourself about to embark on the your running career and is looking to you for guidance. What are the main pitfalls you would try to teach them to avoid from your own experience.?

diego_b wrote: »
    Enjoying this thread, will pop a few q’s in here...

1. If you could relive one race again, which one would it be. What would you do differently?

Ballycotton 2016 - think I mentioned it above, but I felt absolutely great on the day, moving from group to group up through the field all the way from the start to the finish. Had a decent PB, but on reflection I could have pushed harder and maybe gotten the sub-70 that has proven elusive since.
    2. Do you have a mantra or particular thought that goes through your head during a hard race or session?

Focus, commit, believe, achieve (Jim McGuinness) is one I’ve used a few times. Breaks the race/session into manageable parts if nothing else!

During the 800m training this year I’d run a couple of verses of Heffo’s Army through my head during the tougher 200m reps. :p
    3. I think you have a few years on me, what have you done to ensure your consistent improvements over a variety of distances?

Good question, and it’s something I’m aware of. Regardless of age, any runner starting from scratch is going to have a good few years of improvement, and I’m still on that run, although it looks like the plateau if beckoning and the improvements are less dramatic.

For me, and maybe a lot of ‘senior masters’ I think it’s crucial to (a) avoid injury, and (b) get decent mileage in. For whatever reason I’ve been lucky on the injury front. Part of that is not being overweight, I think - less stress on the old joints! Mileage wise I don’t do huge big numbers but the 36-40 a week I’ve averaged over the past few years seems to work for me. And that includes a lot of recovery mileage - even more crucial for aul lads.

Speed work is something that has definitely helped too. I’ve had decent attendance at the the club speed sessions, or doing them by myself if I can’t get over. And trying to do them right.

And shaken it up to keep things interesting. This year it was 800, Last year the mile. The year before the 50k etc etc. I find new routines highly motivational, and if you’re highly engaged, you’ll perform better, I think. Hopefully it will continue for a few more years.
    4. Changing mode this year from longer distance stuff to proper fast/shorter stuff have been a key aspect for you this year. Did you find it hard to leave the marathon type training behind or do you hope/expect to make some gains on the long stuff from what you’ve done on the fast stuff.

I didn’t find it hard at all for the above reasons, and yes, I hope to see a bit of a gain in the longer stuff too, although it will be a while before I get a chance to test that out. Certainly would like to get a decent 5k in before the end of the year.
    5. What would be your death row final meal?

Death row, eh? :eek: Hope it doesn’t come to that! As I said above, a simple meat and two veg man: fillet steak, baked potato, and a few brussels sprouts! Cheffed up, but not too much. :pac:

The starter would be a tomato and buffalo mozzarella salad. Desert - rum and raisin ice cream (with real rum). And a calvados digestif.

Thanks D. Some more track from you next year, maybe? Have to defend all those county titles!

• Advertisement

A good read so far man.

You manage to acquire a younger clone of yourself about to embark on the your running career and is looking to you for guidance. What are the main pitfalls you would try to teach them to avoid from your own experience.?

Cheers, L.

I'd be telling my young clone to start running at least 20 years earlier anyway. I have no doubt a younger me would have achieved more of the round numbers. And starting earlier means I'd probably have cut down or quit the other bad habits sooner.

Smoking is probably the biggest one. I smoked for 37 years. I quit in 2011, but I can't kid myself about the irreversible damage. I do feel my lung capacity is still improving, however, and that has contributed to performance improvement with time.

And I'd tell my younger self to find a way to get more and better sleep!

Thanks all - going to wrap this up now.

Thanks for the questions. I enjoyed answering them. Maybe TMI at times, but I've tried to be honest!

The next A/Rtist will be along on Monday (she apparently has a few things to do over the weekend).

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Cheers D, great read all week. Very insightful & detailed answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Definitely agree, really enjoyed the thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done Murph_D. It was a great read. You have me reading the Running Master Thread now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Cheers D. Very interesting and insightful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Well done Murph_D. It was a great read. You have me reading the Running Master Thread now!

Did 'Stazza's' book ever come out in the end? I doubt it somehow, I can't see a novel about a sociophobic marathon runner having huge mass appeal ...

ps great thread, D

Ha - cheers all.

I only mentioned that thread in terms of its memorability for the 'right' reasons (e.g. terrific engagement from lots of posters, with some good writing) as well as the wrong ones (smoke and mirrors, ultimately).

Is it still a sensitive subject? Maybe, but there have been plenty more threads where knickers got twisted and posters stormed out. Some never return, others reinvent themselves. It's all a reminder (because we are runners, and sometimes we get caught up in our passion for what we do) that A/R is on the internet, is (sort of) anonymous, and can be subverted and trolled.

No interest in reopening old wounds. Ultimately we're here because we love running and this is a place to talk about it in a local context. We don't depend on A/R anymore - there are alternative platforms and there is the physical world. But real friendships have formed, whether real life or virtual, and we like to talk about running stuff and help each other out.

That's what this place is all about, for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks for being a great A/RTIST Murph_D.

I'm looking forward to your successor already :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Murph_D wrote: »
    Ha - cheers all.

I only mentioned that thread in terms of its memorability for the 'right' reasons (e.g. terrific engagement from lots of posters, with some good writing) as well as the wrong ones (smoke and mirrors, ultimately).

Oh, when I said 'great thread' I meant this one, your ARTist in the spotlight and your answers. Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Reading through all of this now - I was away when you were in the hot seat so missed the chance to ask a few questions, but I've enjoyed reading the answers :) Poor misjudged tofu... :pac:

Advertisement