Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers allowance for full time worker

Options
  • 30-08-2018 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I work full time, but live with my mum. I've fallen quite ill and awaiting a diagnosis, but wish to continue working. Would my mother be eligible for carers allowance if my condition was deemed eligible, even though I work?

She doesn't work and genuinely does care for me regularly.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

It is definitely unusual that the person being cared for is working full time. I would imagine that it would be heavily questioned but that is not to say it wouldn't be granted depending on your condition.

If you believe your mother is deserving it might make sense to apply and see how you get on. Disability Advocacy might be able to help you also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You would have to be in need of full time care and attention.
    You should have a look at the application form your mother would be completing just to give you an idea of the benchmark.
    Here it is
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/pdf/cr1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

No your mum wouldnt get carers allowence for you because you are in employment You have to be in need of full time care and attention.

I saw a feature on the news recently about this - a young man who had been in an accident as a youth was given support to go to college but he was now looking for support to go to work. I dont think he was getting any and that is why it was on the news

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Red Hare wrote: »
    I saw a feature on the news recently about this - a young man who had been in an accident as a youth was given support to go to college but he was now looking for support to go to work. I dont think he was getting any and that is why it was on the news

In what aspect was this story related to Carers Allowance eligibility?

• Advertisement

Splinter65 - because the querist said that they wish to continue working I thought that continuing work was of importance to the person who posted the query. Is that ok ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Red Hare wrote: »

I saw this too. He should be given assistance the poor lad has enough to deal with

Advertisement