Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike - For long spins and Adventure Races

Options
  • 30-08-2018 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a new bike and I'm wondering if anybody on here would have any recommendations?

At the moment i have a 2015 Giant Defy 4.

I bought the bike 3 years ago as I was just starting to get into adventure races (kayak, run, cycle). It was my first bike in about 10 years and I had no idea about the different types of gears, brakes etc.

In the weeks leading up to races I would be doing 40-80km cycles on the weekends.

The distance of the cycle parts of the races I would be doing, would range from 20-40km, depending on the race.

So basically, I'm looking for something comfortable that's suitable for long cycles and adventure races. (Possibly disc brakes and maybe slightly wider tyres for races that use gravel paths etc)

Budget would be around €1400-1500

Any info appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What is it about your current bike that's not fit for purpose? Tires? Braking? I would describe your usage as short spins to be honest, not that it makes too much difference I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Buddy of mine has this. It's a real do it all. He uses for all sorts of spins and even completed the 160km ring of Clare about a month ago.

https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adventure/adventure/croix-de-fer/croix-de-fer-20

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

What is it about your current bike that's not fit for purpose? Tires? Braking? I would describe your usage as short spins to be honest, not that it makes too much difference I suppose...
    My own experience of a later, disc brake defy, is that the tyre clearance isn't that great. I could just about fit 32mm cx tyres, but which sod all clearance for mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 joycer

The braking wouldn't be great, especially on steep descents (I would be cycling around the Sallys Gap/Old military road areas quite a bit).

As for the tires, well there is about 3 or 4 races each year that have sections of gravel stones or rough forest track that wouldn't be suitable for what I have.

I have the chance to use my bike to work scheme, so I was thinking of getting a bike with a better group set, disc brakes and possibly wider tires to cover all races.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I would recommend a Felt VR6. Carbon frame/fork, Tiagra groupset with an FSA adventure chain-set (46/30) and 11/32 cassette and hyrdraulic disc brakes. I have the VR30 which is the alloy frame version but with 11spd 105 groupset and its a fantastic bike, very comfortable with a huge spread of gears that mean spinning up even the steepest climbs is a breeze. The bike comes with 28mm Schwalbe Durano Race Guard tyres but there is loads of clearance for much fatter tyres if you require them. The OE wheels are also very wide, 21mm internal width and so can accommodate very wide tyres easily.

The only thing that lets the bike down slightly are the in-house Felt wheels which are very heavy. I upgraded mine to Fulcrum DB5's which shaved a whopping 400g weight of the bike and made a very noticeable difference. The price of the wheels and the bike would be bang on your budget of €1400.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-vr6-tiagra-2018-road-bike/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The aluminum Ribble gcr has good reviews too as a do it all bike (I think I'm in love with the new titanium version!)

I've been tempted a couple of times by the planet x full Monty, but couldn't justify the spec I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 joycer

Thanks for the replies.

I like the look of the Felt VR6, it seems to tick all the boxes!

I will look at the other recommendations in a bit.

Is there anywhere around Dublin that stocks Felt bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Buddy of mine has this. It's a real do it all. He uses for all sorts of spins and even completed the 160km ring of Clare about a month ago.

https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adventure/adventure/croix-de-fer/croix-de-fer-20

I have a Croix de Fer of very similar spec and I love it, you'll get up to 35mm tyres with mudguards (though depending on tyre 32mm is probably the better bet). It's great fun, very comfortable, and you can throw it around on all sorts of surface with the right tyres.

That said one important caveat is that this is not a light bike. Mine is 12.5kg to start with and probably around the 14kg mark with guards and rack, so it's never going to be fast and is certainly no mountain goat

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

I have a Diverge which I bought for the purpose of audaxing and cyclocross and fits both purposes brilliantly.

Sport and Comp versions may well come within your budget as 2019 models reach store

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/11227/2018-men-s-diverge-e5-sport/

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/11222/2018-men-s-diverge-comp-e5/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

btw if you want hydraulic brakes it's difficult to find a bike under the 1500 price tag. Planet X full monty would fit the bill.

Merida Silex is 1900 for the model with hydraulic brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

I have a Diverge which I bought for the purpose of audaxing and cyclocross and fits both purposes brilliantly.

Sport and Comp versions may well come within your budget as 2019 models reach store

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/11227/2018-men-s-diverge-e5-sport/

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/11222/2018-men-s-diverge-comp-e5/
    Second this class bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

A good road bike is fine for nearly all the one day adventure races. Most of the new ones have clearance for 28mm tyres which is plenty for the AR events.

For a do everything bike it's hard to beat an aluminum framed CX bike with hydraulic brakes and eyelets for panniers.

If you have loads of money get titanium instead of aluminum

Avoid mechanical discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

joycer wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I like the look of the Felt VR6, it seems to tick all the boxes!

I will look at the other recommendations in a bit.

Is there anywhere around Dublin that stocks Felt bikes?

Unfortunately not. I got mine from Wiggle, fast delivery and cheapest price.

Advertisement