Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

70.3 nutrition

• 30-08-2018 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Reading up on nutrition intake for 70.3 triathlon - does anyone take the recommended 40-90gms of carbohydrate per hour? Equates to 4 gels per hr!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Highly recommend Hammer Nutrition no need for gels. It's all in one - check it out.

https://www.hammernutrition.eu/en/products/perpetuem-en

I used it recently at Elsinore 70.3 Ironman worked a treat. I did have a two chamber hydration system between TT bars the Profile one - https://profile-design.com/collections/hydration/products/aqua-cell-1 - I used the on course drink for one chamber and Hammer nutrition in the second. You need to get the right mix for the hammer nutrition; you can mix it as thick as you want but you'll need water to accompany it; personally it was a good drinking liquid mix that I used - Only thing that I couldn't determine was how much I drank while cycling. Only after the race there was still a quarter of it remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

I’m no expert having only done one 70.3 (the Dun Laoghaire one a few weeks ago) but I was nowhere near that amount. I’d estimate that I had about 4-5 gels and 2 half bananas over the ~4 hours on the bike and 2-3 gels and another banana half during the run (which took me around 2 hours).

What I have found in my training and having done shorter triathlons is that there is a fine line between fueling myself and getting stomach ache (presumably from all the sugary foods/substances). I’ve done a fair few long cycle sportives (150+ km) and it’s exactly the same...if I have too many gels, I get gut rot and my body starts craving something savoury*

Upshot is that you have to find the level that works for you...whatever you read is a guide and I’d imagine everyone’s nutritional needs varies somewhat

*I’m actually seriously considering packing a sausage roll or ginsters pie for my next half-iron, just so that I can consume something savoury en route :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Fiftyplus wrote: »
    Reading up on nutrition intake for 70.3 triathlon - does anyone take the recommended 40-90gms of carbohydrate per hour? Equates to 4 gels per hr!!

There is a huge difference between 40 and 90g per hour....

If recommended trying 1g per kg of body weight per hour in a training session before you main event.
    Also go for simple carbs on the run, it will reduce GI issues..

Keep in mind, nutrition is a personal issue as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Also bear in mind, your nutritional needs and your ability to ingest carbs at race pace differ greatly from your ability and needs at a slower pace.

Advertisement