Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Irish pope in the near future?

• 30-08-2018 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Eight years ago, somebody started a thread in the Christianity forum about the likelihood of an Irish pope. It was quickly shut down as a troll post.

Bear with me Mods. I'm only picking up on something in today's media.

In the current issue of The Phoenix (Aug 24-Sep 7 2018) there is a profile of Diarmuid Martin, Archbishop of Dublin which, unusually for such a scourge of the establishment, praises Martin for his work in combating clerical sex abuse. It quotes the former chief executive of the National Board for Safeguarding Children who criticised many Irish bishops for their inaction but by contrast said that Martin was the one Irish bishop who stood out and whose performance was "outstanding".

"He had the courage of his convictions, he was prepared to be unpopular, he was prepared to say 'this is not right, it should not be happening.'"

The Phoenix then goes on to suggest that Pope Frank should consider Martin as a possible candidate to take charge of the Vatican Commission for the Protection of Minors, the one from which noted Irish survivor Marie Collins resigned recently because of "obstruction" from elements within the Vatican bureaucracy.
    It also speculated that Martin should be made a cardinal shortly which would give him a vote in the next election for a new pope.

And it ended on this prophetic note:
    "Once elevated to the cardinalate,Martin could be well placed to become the first Irish pope at the next conclave to succeed Francis as the churchman who rid the church of the paedophile snakes from the hierarchical and clerical ranks."

Haven't seen or heard any commentary on this. Is the Phoenix just being outlandish? Or is it a possibility?
    Or do people even care?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Eight years ago, somebody started a thread in the Christianity forum about the likelihood of an Irish pope. It was quickly shut down as a troll post.

Bear with me Mods. I'm only picking up on something in today's media.

In the current issue of The Phoenix (Aug 24-Sep 7 2018) there is a profile of Diarmuid Martin, Archbishop of Dublin which, unusually for such a scourge of the establishment, praises Martin for his work in combating clerical sex abuse. It quotes the former chief executive of the National Board for Safeguarding Children who criticised many Irish bishops for their inaction but by contrast said that Martin was the one Irish bishop who stood out and whose performance was "outstanding".

"He had the courage of his convictions, he was prepared to be unpopular, he was prepared to say 'this is not right, it should not be happening.'"

The Phoenix then goes on to suggest that Pope Frank should consider Martin as a possible candidate to take charge of the Vatican Commission for the Protection of Minors, the one from which noted Irish survivor Marie Collins resigned recently because of "obstruction" from elements within the Vatican bureaucracy.
    It also speculated that Martin should be made a cardinal shortly which would give him a vote in the next election for a new pope.

"Once elevated to the cardinalate,Martin could be well placed to become the first Irish pope at the next conclave to succeed Francis as the churchman who rid the church of the paedophile snakes from the hierarchical and clerical ranks."

Haven't seen or heard any commentary on this. Is the Phoenix just being outlandish? Or is it a possibility?
    Or do people even care?

He hinted on RTÉ recently he was going to retire in the near future from the archbishop role so I very much doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

No way there'll be an Irish pope.
    The Vatican will not want an Irish pope, it would cause too many unhelpful reminders of the church's child abuse shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

it should have been Jack....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Your Face wrote: »
    The Vatican will not want an Irish pope, it would cause too many unhelpful reminders of the church's child abuse shame.
    The Italians have left the job go to a Pole, a German and an Argentinian. Its time they got it back for another 8 or 9 hundred years.
    Reminds me of when a certain newly elected M.E.P. from the West was asked which E.E.C. committees he was going to be on. He answered " whichever ones the Italians are on. They follow the money"

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I know loads of lads that would say Mass. Dunno if they are Pope material though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Papa Patrizio I. :P

Martin would make a good Cardinal (I was half expecting Francis to make an announcement on the matter during his visit) but he seems to be contemplating retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Is there a country where the catholic church hasn't shamed itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Yeah I can see them giving the gig to an Irish lad that might open the files the Vatican has to An Garda about the systemic rape of children the clergy engaged in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

He hinted on RTrecently he was going to retire in the near future from the archbishop role so I very much doubt it.

One door closes, another one opens.....

Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Martin would make a good Cardinal (I was half expecting Francis to make an announcement on the matter during his visit) but he seems to be contemplating retirement.

It is actually a credit to his integrity that he was passed over re being a Cardinal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Or do people even care?

Pisstake mag lauds man in pointy hat.

Must be front runner!

459898.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

RustyNut wrote: »

Liechtenstein?

No arch-pointy hat man, and therefore nobody to cover up all the raping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It would have been very unusual to appoint a Cardinal to a diocese when the Primate of All Ireland is not currently a Cardinal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

RustyNut wrote: »
    North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Iceland, Dubai....

judeboy101 wrote:

Has the Catholic Church a presence in these countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Martin was not in favour with Pope benny at all, over calling on two bishops to resign I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    judeboy101 wrote:

Has the Catholic Church a presence in these countries?
    Yes in all but Saudi Arabia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

What would be the regnal name of an Irish Pope?

Pope Patrick
    Pope Kevin
    Pope Columbanus
    Pope Declan
    Pope Colm

Whatever it is, it would have to be something they would struggle with at Starbucks :)

'Pope Chludach Suas' has a nice ring to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

He's 73 years old, and not even a cardinal. Not a good bet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Sick of hearing about the facking Pope and the Catholic Church. Fack both of them is what I have to say.

Advertisement