Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing rear block

Options
  • 30-08-2018 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

A question for those more knowledgeable than I.

Due to a back/neck injury (Mods: already diagnosed so medical advice not required) I am having difficulties if I do a lot of climbing on the one spin. So I wondered as a remedy might changing from an 11-28t rear block to an 11-32t would that put less strain on the region.

If that were the case would I need to replace the chain too? (I have 3 bikes so it would be pricey but overall a small price to pay longterm).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It will require a chain change unless you were running the current one over length.

You will probably also require a new RD as the cage may not take a 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

It will require a chain change unless you were running the current one over length.

You will probably also require a new RD as the cage may not take a 32.

Thanks for that, I hadn't even considered a RD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

In reality you’ll get away with the chain just fine unless you decide to go big ring front at back at the same time. At least until next time you need to replace chain...maybe you gave some spare links anyway?
    There’s a very good chance your derailleurs will be fine too, 32 isn’t huge, look up the spec on them and try it one bike and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

martyc5674 wrote: »
    In reality you’ll get away with the chain just fine unless you decide to go big ring front at back at the same time. At least until next time you need to replace chain...maybe you gave some spare links anyway?
    There’s a very good chance your derailleurs will be fine too, 32 isn’t huge, look up the spec on them and try it one bike and see how it goes.

Again, thanks. Having read the previous reply I'd decided to drop in to my trusty LBS for advice. What I reckon I'll do, based on what he says, is opt to begin with the winter bike as it's heavier, and leave the others till I see how I get on with that.

Appreciate the dig out!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

martyc5674 wrote: »
    In reality you’ll get away with the chain just fine unless you decide to go big ring front at back at the same time....
    It could easily happen accidentally. I wouldn't risk it. Having a chain break, especially if you're out of the saddle, isn't pleasant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement