Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir broadband options

Options
  • 30-08-2018 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,

I am an Eir customer and have been getting along with very slow ADSL speeds not worthy of being called broadband (800kb down and 128kb up). I understand that this is due to the existing line structure and I've been willing to accept that for several years now, but the reason I switched to Eir is that the sales agent promised we would be in the best position to take advantage of the line upgrades that were coming. He was later fired for mis-selling plans and making promises he couldn't keep so I'm not too hopeful, but anyway.
    The physical lines were upgraded over a year ago, the rollout map indicates that Fibre to the home is available on the road and to the neighbours on either side but not to me. Any time I ring Eir to try and upgrade my broadband to any other available system I get nowhere.
    I have requested a call back regarding broadband on the Eir site and didn't get one. Now I'm hoping that somebody here can help me, even if it is physically impossible to get FTTH or FTTC or mobile broadband here at my house and business I would at least like to hear a definite answer from someone that is more than 'oh I don't see it on the map I'll have to ask my manager and I'll email you' (I never got that email). I'm not expecting miracles and if there's a technical reason it isn't possible that's fine but I'd hate to think that I can't work efficiently just because of an oversight with the mapping system.
    These boards are the only place I have ever had any sort of genuine help from Eir support so I'm hoping it will be the same again.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

ADSL broadband from exchange 8mpbs or 24mpbs limit 5km drops off the longer it goes probably get only 1-3mb at end.

Fttc (VDSL adsl2+) available @100mbps drops off at a rate of 10mpbs per 100m after the first 400m from cab on crappier lines this can be exacerbated. Your looking at 1.3km at a speed of anything from 7mb to 12mb

On a fibre line (an actual fibre line) You don't have distance based issues.

Additional sockets not wired correctly or extra cables jointed or daisy chained to the incoming line will end up making a sort of antennae to pick up external interference which further reduces your speed.
    Check how far your cab is from your house. Lines follow telegraph poles and footpaths. Not as the crow flies.

Exchanges are usually next to or behind Garda stations or post offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fluppen

babi-hrse wrote: »
    ADSL broadband from exchange 8mpbs or 24mpbs limit 5km drops off the longer it goes probably get only 1-3mb at end.

Fttc (VDSL adsl2+) available @100mbps drops off at a rate of 10mpbs per 100m after the first 400m from cab on crappier lines this can be exacerbated. Your looking at 1.3km at a speed of anything from 7mb to 12mb

On a fibre line (an actual fibre line) You don't have distance based issues.

Additional sockets not wired correctly or extra cables jointed or daisy chained to the incoming line will end up making a sort of antennae to pick up external interference which further reduces your speed.
    Check how far your cab is from your house. Lines follow telegraph poles and footpaths. Not as the crow flies.

Exchanges are usually next to or behind Garda stations or post offices.
    Hi thanks for that, I really do appreciate the above clear info.

BUT, useful as that answer is, it is not an official response from Eir and doesn't answer my question as to why my house is skipped when the others on either side of me can get fibre. It also really doesn't ease my concerns about the abysmal level of service that Eir seems to provide. For example, why couldn't they ask me to pm my info and then provide the answer above as relevant to my location? At least I would have been somewhat appeased by that.
    At the very least I was expecting to be contacted by an Eir rep on this site so that they could follow up.
    What frustrates me the most is that when technicians/engineers come out to fix a fault they always do a thorough and efficient job and they are also able to answer questions, though not officially. Why can't office based reps work to the same standard? Are they understaffed, underpaid, under-trained?

Can somebody from Eir please get back to me? I have given up trying to talk to Eir by phone, and Business Customers don't have an email option for fixed line support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Fluppen wrote: »
    Hi,

I am an Eir customer and have been getting along with very slow ADSL speeds not worthy of being called broadband (800kb down and 128kb up). I understand that this is due to the existing line structure and I've been willing to accept that for several years now, but the reason I switched to Eir is that the sales agent promised we would be in the best position to take advantage of the line upgrades that were coming. He was later fired for mis-selling plans and making promises he couldn't keep so I'm not too hopeful, but anyway.
    The physical lines were upgraded over a year ago, the rollout map indicates that Fibre to the home is available on the road and to the neighbours on either side but not to me. Any time I ring Eir to try and upgrade my broadband to any other available system I get nowhere.
    I have requested a call back regarding broadband on the Eir site and didn't get one. Now I'm hoping that somebody here can help me, even if it is physically impossible to get FTTH or FTTC or mobile broadband here at my house and business I would at least like to hear a definite answer from someone that is more than 'oh I don't see it on the map I'll have to ask my manager and I'll email you' (I never got that email). I'm not expecting miracles and if there's a technical reason it isn't possible that's fine but I'd hate to think that I can't work efficiently just because of an oversight with the mapping system.
    These boards are the only place I have ever had any sort of genuine help from Eir support so I'm hoping it will be the same again.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Fluppen, 

I'm afraid the Fibre service is subject to availability and not all customers can avail of it. The lines are not laid as the crow flies and may take different routes from the cabinet and exchange before reaching your house. 

If you PM me your account number, full name on the account, email address and date of birth I'll look into this for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Hi,

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Fluppen, 

I'm afraid the Fibre service is subject to availability and not all customers can avail of it. The lines are not laid as the crow flies and may take different routes from the cabinet and exchange before reaching your house. 

If you PM me your account number, full name on the account, email address and date of birth I'll look into this for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Hi Tracey,

Thank you for the reply. As I said above I am very aware that everything is subject to availability and I am not demanding that I get something which is unavailable. I just want to know if I can get what my neighbours on both sides can get; if not, is there anything I can do to increase my chances of getting it. If I can't get a new connection what is available in my area (including mobile broadband) and if nothing new is available can anything be improved with my current adsl connection?

Having said that I will pm you my details.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Is there actual fibre outside your house?
    Fibre comes in the form of a thick chunky black bpeo box on the pole would only be less than 3 years old. 
    If so you need your eircode and an emphasis on ftth when ordering because people have ordered fibre only for it to be confused as fttc
    An ideal way to say it would be I'm looking to get fibre to the home not ADSL not fibre to the cab but fibre to the home an 8882 number order.
    My eircode is  and I live 2 poles from it the house to my left and the house to my right are connected to it. The number on the dp is abc_9_001002

Now it's entirely possible your house predates the rollout or you were not put on the nbp plan but it's worth trying
    (This is under the assumption there is fibre to the home outside)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Hi,

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Fluppen, 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Hi Tracey,

Thank you for the reply. As I said above I am very aware that everything is subject to availability and I am not demanding that I get something which is unavailable. I just want to know if I can get what my neighbours on both sides can get; if not, is there anything I can do to increase my chances of getting it. If I can't get a new connection what is available in my area (including mobile broadband) and if nothing new is available can anything be improved with my current adsl connection?

Having said that I will pm you my details.
    Ok, no problem. 

I've responded to your PM. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Fibre comes in the form of a thick chunky black bpeo box on the pole would only be less than 3 years old. 
    If so you need your eircode and an emphasis on ftth when ordering because people have ordered fibre only for it to be confused as fttc
    An ideal way to say it would be I'm looking to get fibre to the home not ADSL not fibre to the cab but fibre to the home an 8882 number order.
    My eircode is  and I live 2 poles from it the house to my left and the house to my right are connected to it. The number on the dp is abc_9_001002

Now it's entirely possible your house predates the rollout or you were not put on the nbp plan but it's worth trying
    Thanks for another informative post,

There is Fibre outside my house, the box you mention is 4 poles down from my entrance.
    It seems my address was just skipped either because the house isn't visible from the road or because it was felt it would be too awkward to install. If it's the latter that's fair enough, I just don't seem to be able to get that answer out of Eir and  get the impression that they just look at the exact same map that I can view online without looking into it further.
    Anyway, for the sake of my own sanity I think I'll give up on fixed line for now and see if I can get 4G with Three or Vodafone. I already know I can't get any of the other wireless options as they can't get a strong enough signal from the mast, and satellite broadband really wasn't worth the money.

Thanks again Babi-hrse you've been helpful here.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Thanks for another informative post,

There is Fibre outside my house, the box you mention is 4 poles down from my entrance.
    It seems my address was just skipped either because the house isn't visible from the road or because it was felt it would be too awkward to install. If it's the latter that's fair enough, I just don't seem to be able to get that answer out of Eir and  get the impression that they just look at the exact same map that I can view online without looking into it further.
    Anyway, for the sake of my own sanity I think I'll give up on fixed line for now and see if I can get 4G with Three or Vodafone. I already know I can't get any of the other wireless options as they can't get a strong enough signal from the mast, and satellite broadband really wasn't worth the money.

Thanks again Babi-hrse you've been helpful here.
    The Eir Fibre to the home checker is based on Eircodes. I have come across houses that have no Eircodes and others that have Eircodes mistakenly marked in the wrong position on the map. Have you checked the Eircode map to make sure that your Eircode is exactly where your house is? If it is wrong,the Eir checker may be looking for your house in a diffetent location. My understanding is that errors in Eircode positioning are very difficult to get fixed and only An Post can fix them.

Advertisement