Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should TG4 become TG3?

• 30-08-2018 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭

It seems one or two Boardsies believe - and quite strongly - that TG4 should rebrand as TG3, now that TV3 has become Virgin Media Television.

TG4 *did* launch two years before TV3 - but then again, TV3 was supposed to have launched before 1996. Worth pointing out, too, that TG4 hasn't changed its logo since adopting this name in 1999, whereas TV3 had two changes of logo (in 2009 and 2017 respectively) before today's name change.

And isn't the name TG3 a bit *too* similar to that of TV3 - as Béarla agus as Gaeilge?

Should TG4 become TG3? 7 votes

Tá
    0% 0 votes
    NÃ*l
    100% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Hey, the poll options aren't displaying as "Tá" and "Níl"... :confused:

It would be quite a coup for them, a lot of people would see them as the third channel behind Rte 1&2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Hey, the poll options aren't displaying as "Tá" and "Níl"... :confused:

Can't see Atari Jaguar either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

It would be quite a coup for them, a lot of people would see them as the third channel behind Rte 1&2.

I watch way more on tg4 than tv3, actualy with their 3channels i still get more entertainment from tg4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes probably a good time for a rebrand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

TG3 (proposed) is so old school - should be TG THREE, in an obnoxiouly large font in the middle of the screen in case you're not sure which channel you are watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I voted NÃ*l

Technically it is as TnaG launched two years before TV3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

fritzelly wrote: »
    TG3 (proposed) is so old school - should be TG THREE, in an obnoxiouly large font in the middle of the screen in case you're not sure which channel you are watching.

That's not Gaeilge though is it? ;)

Despite the encoding problems surrounding the poll options, "Níl" has a handy lead... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Why bother, it's been as it is for so many years, why spend money rebranding everything for the sake of a number?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

TBH, I still call them TnaG, rolls of the tongue easier than TG4 (especially if you pronounce it fully as Gaeilge), and just force of habit.

The name means nothing to me cos it nearly never means a change in actual programming (except when RTE2 went all 'yoof' orientated a bit sh*te)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes probably a good time for a rebrand.

what good do you think will come from changing a 4 to a 3 in the name?

Expect poor quality programs and films for a good while if they go ahead, as it will cost a bloody fortune.

I cannot picture people suddenly tuning in since 4 changed to a 3 -and therefore advertising revenue going up.

In my place we had a major change to branding years ago, the old logo etc was very out of date. Then had a extremely minor change years later, many did not even know it happened, this must have cost €100,000's, if everything was accounted for. The amount of knock on effects was massive, the amount of wastage was appalling, scrapping of sick amounts of stuff with the old branding. And this was just a subtle logo change, and actual full name change would have been hugely more expensive.

Advertisement