Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the lifespan of computers/laptops

Options
  • 30-08-2018 7:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭

I have a laptop for the past 7 years and the past year, it's been acting up alot with the blue screen of death. I wiped the whole thing last year and it's looking like I might have to do it again after i save everything. I can start up and get in ok, just it randomly gets the blue screen of death and shuts down.

I'm thinking is it time to give up and just buy new again. My previous laptop was 6 years old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well did you try to check the logs and google the error code for seeing what might be causing the blue screen, could be smth as memory or hdd going bad or as simple as some driver conflict, and def worth having ssd nowadays on any laptop. Id rule out any issues before going shopping as new laptops cost good chunk nowadays but used ones are going for almost nothing.

So not sure are you looking to get new one as without specs of your current one, its hard to advise some 5-6yr old got plenty of juice as mentioned simple ssd can do wonders, without splashing 500-600e for mid range one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Pre 2008 most would last to infinity especially the IBM thinkpads. You still see the odd goldish Limerick built Dell Lattitude on the train from time to time
    Post 2009 SOME foxconn or Polish illegal state aid got away with it though built crap lucky to last 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

I have a laptop for the past 7 years and the past year, it's been acting up alot with the blue screen of death. I wiped the whole thing last year and it's looking like I might have to do it again after i save everything. I can start up and get in ok, just it randomly gets the blue screen of death and shuts down.

I'm thinking is it time to give up and just buy new again. My previous laptop was 6 years old.

If you are still using the original hard-drive it's probably end of life and you did well to have it last this long, stick in an ssd and it'll give it a new lease of life

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What is make and model of present laptop?
    Specs?

7 years is a good usage if it is still doing what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Stick the motherboard in the oven for 3mins at 180. Cover in tin foil before you do

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Little Less Conversation

What is make and model of present laptop?
    Specs?

7 years is a good usage if it is still doing what you need.

It's a Dell Inspiron 15R

I have to try and get the error code and do some googling but it will be the weekend before I get around to it.

I'm pretty fed up with it really. My old laptop gave up on me four times, by the fifth time and spending so much money on getting it fixed, I just chucked it. Am I looking at something similar again where I could try and get the error code and fixing it, it will just happen again.

I'm really clueless when it comes to this tech stuff, hence why I wiped my laptop instead of doing anything else. I think the error code comes up on the blue screen but other than that, I don't have a notion about logs or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Maybe would consider re-purposing it if you fail to find the cause.
    Maybe put a Linux distro on it or use it for a HTPC with a Linux OS.

Linux might either pinpoint the problem or not have it ...... bit of fun rather than 'chucking' it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Stick the motherboard in the oven for 3mins at 180. Cover in tin foil before you do

Yeah, it's probably failing ram or a dying hard drive, but sure, disassemble the whole thing and bang it in the oven, very user friendly advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Macbooks 10 years plus

• Advertisement

I had loads of updates to get and that seemed to fix the problem for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Be surprised how long a machine will last as long as the motherboard doesnt pack it in.An upgrade to the hdd and ram and should handle what the average user will need it for.I have a laptop over 10 years old,just use it for plex and internet and its perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

My current PC is a Desktop that's 5+ years old. It's used for hours daily. I also have a laptop that's 10+ years old - rarely used but still works fine.

Edit: All of my computers run GNU/Linux aka Linux.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'm typing this on a 2006 Mac Pro desktop which is still a beast after 12 years. That's an exception though. General realistic lifespan of a Windows laptop is 5-6 years, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

My trusty old Toshiba Sat was about 7 years old when it was stolen in a burglary - i'm sure that skag-head was disappointed when he tried to flog it!

It's replacement is and equally old Toshiba Portege R830 (same shell as the Sat) that cost £140 about a year ago. It's got a SSD and 8 gigglies of DDR3. It'll do a much better job than anything in the £5-600 range from your computer shop (except the battery, I have 3 spares, they're all a bit leggy but I expected that).

So to answer your question, there's no fixed time if you can take care of it. That machine you've got can be very much resurrected with a SSD and possibly some RAM if that's causing your BSoD. A quick rebuild of your OS and your back to brand new - actually better as the SSD will be much quicker than the old mechanical drive.

In saying all that, if the motherboard is borked, you're snookered unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Odelay

I assume this is a prank?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you mean that isn't how you make oven chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Odelay

Skerries wrote: »
    you mean that isn't how you make oven chips?

Just thought I'd check, busy charging the phone in the microwave at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Laptops under 400 quid - 18 months
    under 600 - 24 months
    under 900 - 3-4 years
    over that are generally business class machines that last a good 5-6 years working life , possibly a bit longer.

apple iMac's / MacBook pro's tend to be able to take upgrades and the OS for the best part of a decade.

and before somebody starts with "I got a machine on discount for 300 that lasted" or "my 400 quid machine is still working 6 years later (with a battery that doesn't charge, hinges not holding the screen up, a keyboard and trackpad that don't respond and plastics that haven't warped / discoloured / badly cracked.) I'm talking about fully functional daily home or office use timelines where with only minor upgrades (HDD / RAM) the machine is still capable of running the latest version of windows at a useable pace for daily tasks and the laptop is still portable and functioning completely as it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

under 600 - 24 months
    under 900 - 3-4 years
    over that are generally business class machines that last a good 5-6 years working life , possibly a bit longer.

apple iMac's / MacBook pro's tend to be able to take upgrades and the OS for the best part of a decade.

and before somebody starts with "I got a machine on discount for 300 that lasted" or "my 400 quid machine is still working 6 years later (with a battery that doesn't charge, hinges not holding the screen up, a keyboard and trackpad that don't respond and plastics that haven't warped / discoloured / badly cracked.) I'm talking about fully functional daily home or office use timelines where with only minor upgrades (HDD / RAM) the machine is still capable of running the latest version of windows at a useable pace for daily tasks and the laptop is still portable and functioning completely as it should.

Under 600 24 months is pure garbage.Im not sure what your doing to your laptops that leave them cracked and screens falling off but if you buy a laptop for 500 and has a decent motherboard there is no reason why it couldnt last for years especially if its just for general use.
    You would rather buy a new laptop than replace a battery?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

under 600 - 24 months
    under 900 - 3-4 years

If you're burning through laptops at that rate, you might want to think about taking a closer look at what you're doing to them.

Anyway I'm not saying all laptops should last like this but my 6 year old €650 laptop (that I got for €500) is still working perfectly and has no physical damage either. No hardware upgrades. It mostly runs Ubuntu but works fine on Windows too.

24 months for a laptop under €600. No way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    . General realistic lifespan of a Windows laptop is 5-6 years, I reckon.

Nonsense

OP get yourself a new SSD drive and reinstall the OS on the Laptop

It will be good as new

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Odelay wrote: »
    I assume this is a prank?

No http://www.computerrepairtips.net/how-to-reflow-a-laptop-motherboard/

However, it's generally a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I'm using a 2012 ish HP elitebook 8470p that i got as refurbish stock from laptopsdirect. Got it about 3 years ago for €250, was about 1700 - 2000 new. Its an i5 3320m, so i added an ssd and put 8 GB of ram in it and its still feels fast for anything not gaming related. Its pretty chunky but has an all metal case so its as tough as old boots. I don't think i'd ever buy a new laptop again, much more value in 2nd hand.

Advertisement