Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping Desktop PC to Australia

Options
  • 30-08-2018 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi,
    In a bit of a dilemma. Might be heading to Australia and I'm wondering whether to take my Desktop PC with me.
    But I'm not sure how long I will stay over there or if I will like it but I built the PC a yr ago and do not really want to sell.
    An post seems to have a steep price for PC < 20kg. Any other ideas apart from an post?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Eman_321 wrote: »
    Hi,
    In a bit of a dilemma. Might be heading to Australia and I'm wondering whether to take my Desktop PC with me.
    But I'm not sure how long I will stay over there or if I will like it but I built the PC a yr ago and do not really want to sell.
    An post seems to have a steep price for PC < 20kg. Any other ideas apart from an post?

Just thinking outside the box here but would it be possible to remove the components from the tower and bring them in your luggage and then buy a cheap tower in Australia and rebuild the pc here?
    I'm not sure if it would work out any cheaper but just an idea maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

A friend of mine is a 3D artist and has a AU$16000 computer set up for work. She's moved countries several times and had it transported. I'll get onto her and see how she does it and get back to you.

EDIT:

She shipped her stuff last time with Fed Ex (she moved from Australia to US) because she needed it shipped quickly.

She's previously used movecube but that can take 3 months.

https://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/moving/movecube?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiu2QtaWY3QIVxLrACh2aagJcEAAYASAAEgIULfD_BwE

My friend was impressed with Fedex. She said it took 24 hours to ship her set up from Germany to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman_321

Sorry for the late reply guys, for some reason I was getting 404 error.

I was thinking of disassembling the PC myself but was afraid of damage.
    I will consider Fed Ex too.

Appreciate the replies!

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

FedEx.?

You'd buy a pc for the price they'll charge.

Simply bring the tower with you and buy a cheap monitor when you get there.

Unless it's very bulky, it should fit in your hold luggage

CeilingFly wrote: »
    FedEx.?

You'd buy a pc for the price they'll charge.

Simply bring the tower with you and buy a cheap monitor when you get there.

Unless it's very bulky, it should fit in your hold luggage

I use a projector so that's one problem solved.
    I can remove hard drives to reduce weight.
    The case should fit I guess, but won't customs take apart? That's my fear and that they will damage stuff in process

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Can't see why customs would take it apart - hold baggage is scanned and doesn't have the restrictions of hand baggage.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Can't see why customs would take it apart - hold baggage is scanned and doesn't have the restrictions of hand baggage.

Shows my ignorance! Thanks CeilingFly

Advertisement