Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brainstorming ideas

Options
  • 30-08-2018 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

well folks,

Always dreaming of owning a business and all that jazz and have some ideas.

Let me know what you think.

GAA statistics website.
    I love stats and such and I don't believe there is a quality statistics site for the GAA (or rugby for that matter). I'm not talking just stats, I'm talking visuals too.
    For an example of what I'm talking about, go to http://www2.squawka.com/teams/bournemouth/stats#total-goals-scored#english-football-league---championship#season-2017/2018#819#all-matches#1-38#goal-mouth-zone

Maybe it wouldn't work as there are not as many games but I'd love if I could have a pitch view with markers or successful kicks, catches, passes etc. That data probably isn't being collected though...

Car service history site/app

You buy a car and any time you get a service you scan the receipts. History is logged, when tyres were replaced, oil changed etc. Can take photos of mileage to verify it's not clocked. Service book does this also but can be easily forged and if you do the maintenance yourself you don't have any proof. When selling the car you can give view access to the account.

Soccer review magazine - monthly review of soccer. I posted this idea before and told the costs would be too much and to go digital (which I'm not keen on). reviewing the events of the top european leagues, displaying stats, analysis, interesting tid bits of info. I personally would love things like that as I like to look back on things in the future.

Give feedback on the above and chime in with your own ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Pussyhands wrote: »
    well folks,

Always dreaming of owning a business and all that jazz and have some ideas.

Let me know what you think.

GAA statistics website.
    I love stats and such and I don't believe there is a quality statistics site for the GAA (or rugby for that matter). I'm not talking just stats, I'm talking visuals too.
    For an example of what I'm talking about, go to http://www2.squawka.com/teams/bournemouth/stats#total-goals-scored#english-football-league---championship#season-2017/2018#819#all-matches#1-38#goal-mouth-zone

Maybe it wouldn't work as there are not as many games but I'd love if I could have a pitch view with markers or successful kicks, catches, passes etc. That data probably isn't being collected though...

Car service history site/app

You buy a car and any time you get a service you scan the receipts. History is logged, when tyres were replaced, oil changed etc. Can take photos of mileage to verify it's not clocked. Service book does this also but can be easily forged and if you do the maintenance yourself you don't have any proof. When selling the car you can give view access to the account.

Soccer review magazine - monthly review of soccer. I posted this idea before and told the costs would be too much and to go digital (which I'm not keen on). reviewing the events of the top european leagues, displaying stats, analysis, interesting tid bits of info. I personally would love things like that as I like to look back on things in the future.

Give feedback on the above and chime in with your own ideas.

Not sure how you might make money on it, but there is definitely room for GAA stats to be made available to the public / other teams.
    Obv, inter county teams keep all their own stats, but for the general public there is a huge void.

For example, nearly every year around this time, people get out their Top Scorer bets they placed at the start of the year and no one has any idea who is winning. PP have even quoted Wikipedia as their source for winners in the past.

Keep me posted if you go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Not sure how you might make money on it, but there is definitely room for GAA stats to be made available to the public / other teams.
    Obv, inter county teams keep all their own stats, but for the general public there is a huge void.

For example, nearly every year around this time, people get out their Top Scorer bets they placed at the start of the year and no one has any idea who is winning. PP have even quoted Wikipedia as their source for winners in the past.

Keep me posted if you go down that route.

I wasn't even thinking of it like that. Something with nice visuals and tactical analysis.

I actually think there's a market for tactical gaa analysis. Look at soccer and all the offline discussion etc. There's really only podcasts and radio for gaa discussion and analysis and it's not visual.

Tbh I have all these ideas but I have no clue about where to start. How could you even determine if a stats type website was viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bugatti

OP, I do like the idea of the GAA stats website. I think it's something that could get decent traffic during the summer months if it had useful stats/info. I suppose the main downside to it is that you are really limiting yourself to the Irish market only.

I'd be very interested to know how you might present stats? Graphs, donut charts, etc? I know you posted a link to one site in the op, but are there any other stats websites that have very good visuals? That would be key for you, how you present the data. And not even necessarily sports site, any site that you think is displaying stats well could be good to post here so we could see what might translate well onto a GAA stats site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Bugatti wrote: »
    OP, I do like the idea of the GAA stats website. I think it's something that could get decent traffic during the summer months if it had useful stats/info. I suppose the main downside to it is that you are really limiting yourself to the Irish market only.

I'd be very interested to know how you might present stats? Graphs, donut charts, etc? I know you posted a link to one site in the op, but are there any other stats websites that have very good visuals? That would be key for you, how you present the data. And not even necessarily sports site, any site that you think is displaying stats well could be good to post here so we could see what might translate well onto a GAA stats site.

I can't find the website but I think the squawka app might show data like this. This is what I was thinking of, but GAA version.
    https://image.winudf.com/v2/image/Y29tLnNxdWF3a2EuYWN0aXZpdGllc19zY3JlZW5zaG90c18yXzcwMDEwYzg4/screen-2.jpg?h=800&fakeurl=1&type=.jpg

But looks like squawka don't do that anymore for some reason..

Could show amongst all the stats things like pass maps, shot maps, foul maps,

Sure are the official statistics partners of the GAA.

Advertisement