Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alot has changed in 30 years (do kids play outside anymore?)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Mainly because some "fecking parents" sued the school for a simple playground fall.

Our school actually had a case where a child fell, and because they weren't very active/outgoing usually, didn't have the reaction to put their hands down to stop the fall. There was no suing, but the school introduced 15 minutes of activity every morning as a way to ensure everyone's moving every day, even if only a little. The activity varies from skipping to jogging to yoga which is a nice way to start the day anyway I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The problem is the perception of risk as opposed to actual risk. I have a big fear of children being near a waterway way of proportion to the actual risk a child would be at, now I know I have picked up this up from my mother its not real. As a child, I was afraid of crossing the road because of her constant talks about the danger of it, too much emphases on danger makes children nervous.

I was listening to a really interesting piece recently about how parents are deliberately picking after school care which is light supervision.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

My middle child is not the sport type, but when he was 10 I had a surprised conversation with him about quantum theory.
    He could hold down a basic conversation on it purely from watching YouTube.

Times have changed, kids now have a lot more knowledge than I ever did as a kid. They're like sponges just absorbing information everywhere (and there is so much information easily available now!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My just four year old has just started playing on the street.We live in a cul de sac at the back of a housing estate.There are a few kids in the 4/5/6 range.One 5 year old seems to have nobody who checks on her.The others have parents in and out at the doors all time, keeping an eye (including myself).They have asked or told me if the kids are in one of their houses.As it's coming into Autumn/Winter I figure it will be next year before we really get into the thick of it and I'm ok with that-we also have a two year old who will not be going out.

I presume the person who said their SI is not allowed play unsupervised means that you stand back and watch?Kids need unsupervised play (observing would be my thing, unless they are doing something totally unacceptable).If adults are constantly interfering, we do damage to their entire learning process.We have rules, she must be across the road in one of two gardens, fully visible to me at all times, and not go into a house without checking first, but outside of that I am ok to let her away at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Yes, by 'supervised' I mean one or other of us would be hovering nearby, usually doing a bit of gardening or chatting to other parents depending. I find getting involved with their play extremely boring so more than happy to let them off to do what they want, but not alone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Glad I'm not the only one who feels like that!!:D:D

mariaalice wrote: »
    I was listening to a really interesting piece recently about how parents are deliberately picking after school care which is light supervision.

It's true. I deliberately stand back in playgrounds etc, and let them figure it out for themselves. We have one set of grandparents who hover like crazy, wouldn't let the kids near anything without holding on to them. I was actually really proud of my 4 year old recently when she told them to go away, she could climb the ladder herself (despite the tone she used:rolleyes:). I see a lot of parents helping and holding over small kids - if you actually stand back, just stay within reach without touching, they will figure out what they can and can't do themselves, and it's very good for them, as it develops all their senses and balance, and allows them to realise what is actually dangerous for their ability and what isn't. Otherwise most of them go around thinking everything is so dangerous that they can't distinguish what actually IS dangerous, or they won't try anything by themselves because they have always had someone holding them on everything (and I have friends who then get frustrated that their older 3/4/5 year old won't just go and play in a playground without help, but how can they, when they've never been let?!)

Within reason, the best thing you can do for a child who is playing is stand back and shut up.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 45 incaseiforget

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Thanks again - definitely good to see it from another perspective.

Ah we're not alone so :P

Definitely not! Our youngest ( of 5 ) is also in SI.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

lazygal wrote: »
    Not here. My daughter is in SI and we don't allows her unsupervised play.

We are the opposite. We live in a large estate (with minor roads) with a huge number of children living here. There is always someone calling at the door and if it's dry then out they go. You just have to teach them some ground rules and this in turn will teach them independence. (I refuse to have 3 snowflakes on my hands when they are older)
    They know that if they play on the road or outside it has to he where I can see them if I come outside. They are allowed into about 3 of their friends houses but only if parents say it's OK and only if they come tell me first. There is a green area a street away where they all play but again they have to let me know. And they do because on the one or two occasions they have broken the rules they get sent to their bedrooms and aren't allowed play for the rest of the evening.
    4 of us also have a what's app which is handy to keep track.
    You can't wrap them up in cotton wool and accompany them every where always so put down some rules and start small. They will be all the better at mixing and interacting with others without mammy looming over their shoulders.
    And yes that things happen from time to time but you cannot let this dictate your life...plenty of what ifs...but then we would never go outside the door..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It isn't wrapping children in cotton wool to make a different choice about the level of supervision your child has. I was highly supervised as a child, my parents didn't wrap us in cotton wool and we're all functioning adults who are very independent. I don't think staying in the front garden to keep an eye out is looking over their shoulder. I've zero interest in playing with them most of the time but I'm not going to let them roam free and regret doing so until they're a bit older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

We're the same - I have no interest in playing with the kids when they're with their friends playing outside, but I wouldn't be comfortable if they were out of sight in another part of the estate. They're still young kids after all - independence is definitely a good thing, but a 5/6 year old could still instinctively run onto the road after a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

We don't live in the estate so ours are kicked out to play in the garden which is about 2 acres. Grandparents live next door and they can roam around as long as they don't go on the road. Supervision entails phone call next door to tell in-laws to kick them out if they are inside and not to give them too much rubbish. They are 9 and almost 6. That being said the older one isn't outdoorsy at all and has to be sent out. They have some play dates and some structured activities but nothing mental.

I grew up in warmer country and I spent a lot more time outside in the summer. I lived in old style village (detached houses scattered in all directions) with woods behind the house and we would literally disappear for the day. I wasn't much for winter activities but other kids would ice skate on the ponds or ski on the hill next door. I think a lot of this is still going in winter but I see less kids around in the summer when I am there.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Reading through the posts reminds me of a line from the great travel / comedy writer Bill Bryson.
    Describing his childhood growing up in rural USA in the fifties he recalls being ushered out the front door at eight in the morning with the instruction not to return until dinner time unless he was " haemorrhaging seriously or actually on fire "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Of course they play outside, I think a big part or what is changing is parents are a little more involved in the upbringing of their children and supervise them allot more.

Not all mind you, a couple of years back I lived in a housing estate where most kids were allowed roam with little parental supervision. End result was that you has kids raising kids some out until 11 or 12 at night . Which brings with it a whole host if social problems.

Advertisement