Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home PABX on virgin media

Options
  • 30-08-2018 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi All,

I would like to install a internal PABX system in my home working off my virgin media landline.

I mainly want to run a lines from downstairs to a bedroom, attic and out building.

A questions I have is if the house number rings will all phones ring until one picks it up with a pabx?

Also Ive only one outside line which is fine, but i presume you still have dial to 9 to get an outside line?

This is the type of system I'm looking at.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292700737837?ul_noapp=true

The main reason i want to have this feature is if i want to ring upto the attic or the outbuilding and i like the nostalgia idea of pabx :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

An Cigire wrote: »
    Hi All,

I would like to install a internal PABX system in my home working off my virgin media landline.

I mainly want to run a lines from downstairs to a bedroom, attic and out building.

A questions I have is if the house number rings will all phones ring until one picks it up with a pabx?

Also Ive only one outside line which is fine, but i presume you still have dial to 9 to get an outside line?

This is the type of system I'm looking at.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292700737837?ul_noapp=true

The main reason i want to have this feature is if i want to ring upto the attic or the outbuilding and i like the nostalgia idea of pabx :)

That is programmable by the user.
    The phones could ring in sequence until one picks up, or all phones could ring at the same time.
    There are likely other options too such as grouping the phones so that they the groups would ring in sequence until call is picked up.

Get hold of a manual for the device and read through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rather than buying a generic unit and connecting your own handsets you may benefit from a paired set of handsets and PABX. Things like intercom, doorbell etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Also keep in mind you can go with old style Tip/Ring type telephone extensions as you linked to or go with an IP telephone solution which is probably where it's at as it shares the common home network for both data and voice.

An IP solution would be more involved however and probably is overkill for your requirements. However, some links of common home brew options that come to mind.

https://pbxinaflash.com
    https://www.asterisk.org/

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

A traditional small-office type analogue system might cost more up-front if you are looking for particular features but there are second-hand systems for sale on Adverts that would certainly fit the requirements. Such nice features include: call barring - handy for blocking calls to premium rate numbers without a monthly fee for the privilege.

Going the IP route will give you all of these features for free and a lot more but you will need a device to convert VMs analogue service to IP and another to provide analogue lines where you want to use traditional telephones. The cost is about the same but the IP route is more flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

A traditional small-office type analogue system might cost more up-front if you are looking for particular features but there are second-hand systems for sale on Adverts that would certainly fit the requirements. Such nice features include: call barring - handy for blocking calls to premium rate numbers without a monthly fee for the privilege.

Going the IP route will give you all of these features for free and a lot more but you will need a device to convert VMs analogue service to IP and another to provide analogue lines where you want to use traditional telephones. The cost is about the same but the IP route is more flexible.

I’m going for a non IP system but appreciate all the info :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Just make sure it's not on of this ultra-cheap and basic analogue systems that doesn't pass caller ID information through to the extensions. They're kind of annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

An Cigire wrote: »
    I’m going for a non IP system but appreciate all the info :)

How many extensions do you need ? And do you already have the phones, you want to connect ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

three extensions and have the phones :)

Advertisement