Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 28 Thread (spoilers)

Options
  • 31-08-2018 7:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭

I know that this circling the drain, so to speak, but I figured we may as well have a thread for the last one. Not really holding out much hope for the female "featherweights", and one of the heavyweights looked like he was about to pass out from the initial workout where they pick teams, but I like Maurice, what with the crocheting and beer drinking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Mr Green certainly enjoyed that start, he deserves a bonus for that KO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I still love this show, really don't agree w/feeling its "circling the drain", but ok.

Enjoyed the first ep, think Kelvin is really going to dominate tbh--being able to pick the fights is a huge plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭cletus

The format has become very old over the last decade, they haven't really done anything to try and revamp it, and ratings are in a hole in the ground, they're so low. Dana's Contender series would appear to be a fresher, and better received (not by Eugene S. Robinson) product.

Having said all that, I still find myself looking at it, but then I'm lost in the mist, out by the woodpile

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I still love this show, really don't agree w/feeling its "circling the drain", but ok.

Enjoyed the first ep, think Kelvin is really going to dominate tbh--being able to pick the fights is a huge plus.

Yeah I think Kelvins team will have the edge. Just the way Whittaker was just like we'll treat it like fight week made it seem like they aren't planning on trying to improve them much? Although judging by the preview for ep2 sounds like Kelvins team aren't impressed with the coaching!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Mr Green certainly enjoyed that start, he deserves a bonus for that KO.

Yeah he looked good. Often hard to tell with heavyweights lots of dodgy ones out there. PM didn't seem great but at the same time hard to overcome that sort of physical discrepancy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

that heavyweight looks doomed next week, probably need another couple of weeks to get in any kind of fight shape unless he's another big country which doesn't look to be the case

swedish girl looked pretty good there this week

mailburner wrote: »
    that heavyweight looks doomed next week, probably need another couple of weeks to get in any kind of fight shape unless he's another big country which doesn't look to be the case

swedish girl looked pretty good there this week

Forget about a couple of weeks, he looks like he just walked in off the street. I reckon there's 6 months needed to get him into fight shape. Just shows the dearth of good heavyweights

cletus wrote: »
    Forget about a couple of weeks, he looks like he just walked in off the street. I reckon there's 6 months needed to get him into fight shape. Just shows the dearth of good heavyweights

I'm more confused as to how he managed to get on the show

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Who is this lads sorry I'm not watching.

ASOT wrote: »
    Who is this lads sorry I'm not watching.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Justin-Frazier-77208

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »

guess he'll need to land one in the first or rather first couple of minutes
    in the first if his record is anything to go by

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I went from laughing at how out of shape Justin was to really wanting him to win when I heard his story.

Seems like a decent, hard-working family man and he has really been through the ringer with his sick son. When he read the letter from his son before the fight (“I miss you tickling me and making me tea”), man that was emotional :eek:

To be fair to him he seemed to have saw the light during fight week in terms of motivation and already looks like he’s dropped a canny bit of weight since day one.

Delighted to see him pick up the win anyway! Silva just had no answer at all when Justin got on top of him. Huge upset especially with him being the lowest ranked seed and Silva the highest.

*sigh* I cant even be bothered to keep my own thread up to date. Skipped through most of this episode, only thing of remote interest outside of the fight was setting up the American girl to jump ship from Team Whitaker.

Fight was relatively entertaining, either Julija is ridiculously durable, or Marciea has actual pillows for fists.

Also not sure how many warnings for toes in the fence are required before a point is deducted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Didn't Team Gastelum win the first 2 fights and yet Whitaker chose Da Silva to fight Justin?

Don't understand the format at all this season.

Just caught up, DELIGHTED for Justin, hA, couldn't believe it :) He is a badass!

Julia got very lucky there I think, she gave Whittaker a heart attack but it was nice to see them get a win at last.

I think Gastelum is a really good coach, am enjoying watching him .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Didn't Team Gastelum win the first 2 fights and yet Whitaker chose Da Silva to fight Justin?

Don't understand the format at all this season.

I think they just take turns picking.

Glad Julia won. Judging by the lack of footage for next weeks fight, I reckon it might be a one punch KO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

KJ wrote: »
    I think they just take turns picking.

"The fighters arrive in Las Vegas to begin the training and evaluations prior to the teams being picked.
    Gastelum wins the coin toss and chooses to pick the first fight."

He wanted to pick 1st fight so presumably alternating turns picking isn't the format?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

"The fighters arrive in Las Vegas to begin the training and evaluations prior to the teams being picked.
    Gastelum wins the coin toss and chooses to pick the first fight."

He wanted to pick 1st fight so presumably alternating turns picking isn't the format?
    Kelvin picked the first male fight and the first female fight.
    Whittaker picked the second male fight and the second female fight.
    Kelvin picked the third male fight.

I think they're taking turns but I'm not sure why as it doesn't make sense.

Just got caught up on the last two eps--really enjoyed both fights. Can't wait to move into the next phase and see who is going to win this thing! The Spanish fighter Juan made mincemeat of his opponent and won, in the featherweight fight the winner was made mincemeat, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

maurice is starting to get under my skin. i think his semi-final fight against juan is not going to go the way he thinks and he is going to be beaten easily

• Advertisement

So, turns ot I was wrong, and Maurice is a dickhead. Hope Juan beats him, but I think he might get clipped on the way in looking for the takedown

Macy looked pretty good, I suppose.

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    maurice is starting to get under my skin. i think his semi-final fight against juan is not going to go the way he thinks and he is going to be beaten easily

yeah I think juan will do the exact same to maurice as he did to his last opponent and without too much difficulty

sooner maurice is shut up the better, what a arsehole to be stuck in
    a house with day in day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

yeah I think juan will do the exact same to maurice as he did to his last opponent and without too much difficulty

sooner maurice is shut up the better, what a arsehole to be stuck in
    a house with day in day out.

Is Maurice the guy who knits hats?

JJayoo wrote: »
    Is Maurice the guy who knits hats?

That's him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

That's him

Awwww :(
    Saw the episode that showed his backstory and I really liked the guy.

Maurice continues to be a dïckhead, Michel looks like he never the a punch in his life, and the most or of shape fighter since Tank Abbott fought Maurice Smith is in the finals.

To round it off, Gastellum's team got possibly the worst looking matching tattoos I've seen.

Maurice appears to be a serious alkie, and it's pretty uncomfortable watching the effect on everyone he comes in contact with. I got the feeling Marcia, the one who was going to leave, prob has experience with alcoholism in her life to be pushed to the breaking point by being stuck in there with him. I hope he leaves the drink down, when he is sober he's a nice guy, going to suck if he keeps it up and makes us witness him throwing this opportunity down the drain.

Anyways: YES JUSTIN!!!! hilarious if he pulls off a win in the finale.

And I still think Kelvin is the best coach ever , he is so invested ---I love it.

Grrrr, Julia vs Pannie was the most frustrating fight of the series for me.....sucks we have to wait a week to see Maurice vs Juan.

Juan Vs Maurice was something else ;)

• Advertisement

Lot of emotion from Juan, Maurice obviously upset him even more than he was showing. Also, fighting over a remote...

Advertisement