Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Wolf Whistle

• 31-08-2018 9:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

are you allowed do it in public anymore in these PC times??

i think most ladies would take it as a compliment anyway...

weeet weewooo!!!

ladies do you find it offensive/annoying??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Didn't they make it illegal in France recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I remember reading about this recently.
    The article was about making the wolf whistle illegal.
    They had a poll and the majority wanted it not to be made illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

fryup wrote: »

weeet weewooo!!!

My wife considers it a compliment ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you ever wanted to advertise yourself as a complete knobend, then wolf-whistling at random women is a surefire way to do it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's been replaced by the Awooga

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Its a perfectly acceptable form of compliment if done like this.

40304183_2035968453115087_123038976100532224_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=286f3c5fca31536860747823fa1f2a89&oe=5BFA6FB9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Uh-huh. The average woman loves being whistled at like a dog :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

seamus wrote: »
    If you ever wanted to advertise yourself as a complete knobend, then wolf-whistling at random women is a surefire way to do it.

not at random women, fit women

anyway don't the gals do it to fit men??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

weeet weewooo!!!

What exactly do you expect the outcome to be when you whistle at a stranger? What are you hoping for? That they'll come over to ask for your number? That it will lead to romance?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

well...................................................

..........................................................ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I don't find it offensive, or complimentary it's just mildly irritating and very juvenile, as the other poster said, what exactly is the objective? What does one who whistles hope to achieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I wouldn't describe myself as PC but anyone that wolf whistles at a woman comes across as a fucking idiot.

I was on holiday in Cyprus eleven years ago. At the time I had long hair in a ponytail. I was taking a walk when a group of Cypriot lads in a car saw me from behind and started shouting and whistling at me thinking I was a woman. They drove past and looked back at me to see I was a man and looked shocked and embarassed. A few seconds later they recovered and shouted and whistled at a blonde girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Neanderthal behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

The North African/Middle Eastern version is hissing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It is sexual harassment. If you did it in a job you'd be fired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

"Show us yer box" was a common shout from some building sites I was on. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Pac1Man wrote: »
    "Show us yer box" was a common shout from some building sites I was on. Seriously.

He might have lost his toolbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Grayson wrote: »
    It is sexual harassment. If you did it in a job you'd be fired.

No it isn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That's a bit direct in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Did you get lost from the Luas Drivers' Lunchboxes thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Thoie wrote: »
    What exactly do you expect the outcome to be when you whistle at a stranger? What are you hoping for? That they'll come over to ask for your number? That it will lead to romance?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

well...................................................

..........................................................ya

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the odds of that happening are as close to zero as you can get. Most reactions will be embarrassment, indifference, contempt, disgust, annoyance, or anger. Sometimes all of them in quick succession.

I feel the same way about someone wolf whistling at me as I do about people who spit as they walk down the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

No it isn't

Yes it is.

I just googled it and all the definitions on the first page said that it covers obscene or unwanted remarks in a professional or social situation.

Not quite sure why anyone would want to defend wolf whistling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

This is how to woo a woman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its such a sad and pathetic little thing, you do have to wonder what sort of moron thinks a wolf whistle is actually fun, or amusing, or attractive, or whatever sad little reasoning is going on in their tiny little minds?

Anybody who does or defends wolf whistling is a tiny dick loser, and I have never yet met an exception to that rule.

There is however one thing worse than the loser wolf whistling, and thats the facebook **** writing the words "swit swoo" underneath a picture. "Swit swoo" for gods sake, look at what you just typed you absolute cretin.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

No it isn't

I've known construction companies where staff have been fired or given written warnings for it. If you are brand new to construction and do it, you might be lucky to just get away with a massive bollocking from the foreman in front of your co-workers for doing it. It really is not tolerated on site any more and not even other men want to work with assholes who wolf whistle at women or school girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Fairly cringey alright, it's like something out of a Looney tunes cartoon.

Seems to be still promient enough beaviour in southern Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Neyite wrote: »
    I've known construction companies where staff have been fired or given written warnings for it. If you are brand new to construction and do it, you might be lucky to just get away with a massive bollocking from the foreman in front of your co-workers for doing it. It really is not tolerated on site any more and not even other men want to work with assholes who wolf whistle at women or school girls.

I wouldn't have thought the stereotypical builder thing is that common anymore. I'd say it's more lads beeping or shouting out from their cars at girls and women or people out drunk in towns at night.

Although when I was about 17 or 18, we had builders in for some work on the house. Both my parents were working and I wasn't in school so I was to stay in while they were there. They arrived really early, I made them tea and then said I was going up to change and if they wanted anything from the fridge to go ahead. Then when I was walking up the stairs, one of them shouted up at me "let me know if you need a hand." I was thinking ewww :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

I'm not hot enough for wolf whistling! So it's a non-issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭indioblack

Cleopatra_ wrote: »
    I'm not hot enough for wolf whistling! So it's a non-issue.

Well I just wish women would stop doing it. Every time I walk past the Golden Age club they're at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BuyersRemorse

If it's made illegal, it'll be #timeup for my budgie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Who actually sees a Wolf these days ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

indioblack wrote: »
    Well I just wish women would stop doing it. Every time I walk past the Golden Age club they're at it.

Like this :) ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

blinding wrote: »
    Who actually sees a Wolf these days ?

Or indeed who has ever heard one whistle? They don't have the lips for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

My trusty bird whistle makes them flock the in right direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I wouldn't describe myself as PC but anyone that wolf whistles at a woman comes across as a fucking idiot.

I was on holiday in Cyprus eleven years ago. At the time I had long hair in a ponytail. I was taking a walk when a group of Cypriot lads in a car saw me from behind and started shouting and whistling at me thinking I was a woman. They drove past and looked back at me to see I was a man and looked shocked and embarassed. A few seconds later they recovered and shouted and whistled at a blonde girl.

This prank reminded me of u, its funny.

• Advertisement

Or indeed who has ever heard one whistle? They don't have the lips for it.
    It’ll be howling from now on . I hope the Moon can handle it .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

That happened me only here in Dublin. Picture it early 1990s.Hellrazer walking down the quays with the bet on jeans (stretchies they were called back then) Long flowing locks blowing in the wind and I get wolf whistled by a bunch of builders.Any way I turn around and they realise its a bloke. So I shout up at them and call them a bunch of queers. I was chased half way down the quays cos they wanted to kill me.

So no its not appropriate to wolf whistle at rockers.

Didn't they make it illegal in France recently?

apparently so.....

thats going to be hard to implement in france with so many hot women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

I was in Barcelona with a group of teenagers earlier this year. The whistling at the girls was constant. Cars would slow down to perv them and grown men would whistle at them from cars and building sites. One time passing a building site men turned off machinery so they would whistle at the girls. These were 13 and 14 year kids. It was pretty fcuked up tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

kylith wrote: »
    Uh-huh. The average woman loves being whistled at like a dog :rolleyes:
    Blokes don't whistle at the average woman, they whistle at the hot ones. Average women don't have to worry about being whistled at.;)

• Advertisement

Could women that like / want to be whistled at wear some sort of Flashing light ?

There may actually be some demand and this would help gauge if that demand was worthy of the effort .

Advertisement