Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's Friday - help me choose a bike

Options
  • 31-08-2018 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

As per the title I'm looking for a new bike. It's going to be a clearance deal as retailers clear stock for 2019 bikes. I'm on a limited budget what with 3 kids yada yada yada.

I have found 2 bikes which are close in price but quite different in execution.

Cannondale CAAD12 Ultegra (R8000) - €1,569 Weight about 7.8kg

I love Cannondales and this is a nice bike, light for sure and has all the right bits and bobs, except perhaps the aksium wheels and the BB30. It's being sold on a German Website I've never used so some doubt there, but postage is low - €11.60!!

Ridley Noah 60 Full 6800 Ultegra & Fulcrum Quattro LG - €1589 Weight about 8.5kg

I also love Ridleys! This is an aero bike which as far as i can tell has all the right bits and bobs, including the wheels which are tubeless ready. It's a carbon frame though relatively weighty with it

I'd post links but I'm afraid some of you schnakey types might buy them all up on me!

Both bikes have been heavily discounted.

I'm a big enough fella, 82kg or thereabouts so not fantastic on long steep climbs, give me short (not steep) climbs, undulating road or a sprint and I'll gobble them up. I've no problem flexibility wise, I use the handlebars to their full and like to get a nice aero position, I can handle a bumpy road.

Would love to hear any opinions on the matter!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

Why not consider lightweight Rose: https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-xeon-rs-force-2660448?product_shape=anodized+black%2Fblack&article_size=53cm
    Claimed weight 6.75 kg and within your price range. You can customize it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Yes, I've looked at Rose alright - that is a cracking bike for the money, but if i was going aluminium I'd prefer to get the best frame possible - my understanding is that's the cannondale. Thanks for the advice though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

If BB30 is an issue on one bike, PF30 on the other has essentially all of the same flaws. Aksiums v Quattros, similar enough that I wouldn't let it be a deciding factor unless running the wheels tubeless is something that is important to you. What's the German website, I've bought from most.

Hear what you're saying with respect to the BB - fair point. For me Quattros beat Aksiums, and the plan would be to go tubeless.

german website is www.thebikeshop.de, spoke to a mate this afternoon who reckons he's bought from them and had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Ridley, as it will be cooler than any other bike (except a Bianchi).

Seriously get the one you think is the coolest. You might save €50 here or there with different brands, but if you love your bike you`ll ride it more.

• Advertisement

Yes Ridleys are cool, and it is the one I'm drawn to the most, even though i know it'll be heavier and probably no faster than the Cannondale.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I'd be drawn more to the Ridley, especially if you're more of a sprinter. They're a really cool bike.

Advertisement