Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New gas boiler for apartment.

• 31-08-2018 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi

I'm considering getting a new gas boiler for my apartment.The apartment is about 14 years old and although the boiler hasn't given any problems lately you can't get spare parts for it anymore. It was a cheap boiler put in when the apartment was built and it seems fairly expensive to heat the apartment.

The apartment is a two bedroom with 5 radiators and the size of the apartment is approximately 800 square feet. I'd like opinions on how much it would cost to have the old one removed and a new one installed. Also should I have anything else done at the same time like flushing out the radiators or replacing them. The radiators are the same age as the boiler and are your basic big solid radiator. Just wanted an opinion on weather replacing them would lead to lower gas bills. I'd assume things like smart zones wouldn't be worth the money for a small apartment but am open to suggestions. Finally who should I get to replace the boiler. Should I use some one like gas networks Ireland or go with a local engineer and use what boiler they recommend.

Thanks for reading this post and any answers received are appreciated.

Mick.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No need to replace the rads unless you've a specific issue like a room not heating up enough. The system will probably need to be drained down anyway to replace the boiler, so whoever you contact will be able to talk to you about flushing it out.

Whatever plumber you contact will likely recommend a specific boiler. The boiler manufacturer sends plumbers on an installation course, and that plumber then recommends that particular type of boiler. And because that plumber is "certified" for that manufacturer, you'll usually get a ten-year warranty instead of the usual 4 or 5.

In terms of who to go with, check with your current gas supplier. Some of them will have deals for boiler replacement and can sort out getting a plumber and such.

You can expect to pay the guts of 3 grand all-in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If you are getting a new Gas boiler, it is prudent to have the heating system power flushed clean and a magnetic filter, either Adey or Fernox, fitted to the system.
    Anything less, and you are inviting trouble.
    Try to get recommendations of trustworthy tradesmen and try get at least two to three quotations.
    As said already, unless radiators are giving trouble, leave well enough alone, but maybe consider changing the valves for thermostatic control valves.
    After that, you could look at splitting the system into separate heating / hot water contols, going as far as smart phone app controls.

Advertisement